Kew Crit. old bugger gets closer...

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Big butterflies in the stomach tonight!
Started about an hour before hand.
In another lifetime, i got these on a regualr basis prior to a baseball game and realised my pitching was gonna be a cannon or a wayward lethal weapon (apologies to all lefthand batters i mighta nailed back in the 80/90's). Lots of familiar faces. Gags, BT, Blah and later DaveB and Jazmo plus a few other faces i knew from other exploits...
We got going. large field again. maybe 30 riders? (gags?).
Kept near the front. doing the easier cruisy option up the hill and letting others do the work over the top and down the other side and then short sprint to go thru the hairpin again and up the hill easy.
I was really looking forward to sittin on Gags' wheel but he was going back-forward haphazardly so I just kept within a sniff of the front for the first 20min.
There is always a patch in the middle where the pace picks up and seems to sort out the bunch. It arrived but the front group didnt get away enough and slowly came back but the overall tempo had been set and was staying constant.
I invariably (and Gags mentioned this after too) fight the mind hereabouts and have ften just slowly fallen of fthe back but last week and this week too have fought to hang on. All together again.
Many hard yards are done up the hill and trying to hangon over the top.
Gags seems to be making a comeback and appaears periodically towards the front.
at about the 28-9min mark Comissaire calls 3 laps to go and Im wondering how Im going to keep pushing. Cmon! its 'only' 5 minutes away!
2 laps to go. we appraoch the 2nd-last hairpin. I pull alongside Gags and say that if someone's gonna go, they will go now.
I cant make out clearly what Gags says but Im guessing he's tiring like me.
We go round again. the tempo goes up another notch. Very strung out pack. No idea what's going on behind me. Me gags are about 10-11th wheel appraoching the last hairpin.
A guy flies up the left and tries to enter the corner way too fast and then proceeds to brake all the way round which totally screws Gags up (on my left). Im sticking to my theory of fast-wide entry, fast-wide exit.
There's a guy about 10m ahead.
I put my head down and pass.
then another. reach the corner towards the finish line. Can see the top 8'ish riders all doing hard yards ahead. The front-few-runners are out of reach but encouragingly, the others are going 'backwards'. Change up a gear and really thumping it now. Pass another. and another. then pass almost 3 others all at the same time approaching the line. they seemed to be standing still.
**** why didnt i go earlier? (ah, isnt hindsight a wonderful thing!!!).
Cross the line within about 20-30m of the winners and count that there is 4 of them in front of me.
5th!!!
Cool. Kept saying to myself "Its a training ride".
I aint no climber, and that might just be the closest i ever get.
...Unless Im within cooee at that last corner and have the juice in the legs I had tonight (pity it only lasts a short distance!).
Isnt theory a wonderful thing!
Self delusion aint bad either :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

flyingdutch wrote:
> Big butterflies in the stomach tonight!
> Started about an hour before hand.
> In another lifetime, i got these on a regualr basis prior to

G'day

Out of interest, what would you average speed be and for how long? 1 hr? 3
hrs?

Paul

paul said:
G'day

Out of interest, what would you average speed be and for how long? 1 hr? 3
hrs?

Paul

nothing as grand as that

30minutes (then they say 3 laps remaining)
35kph average today.
dang hill!

flyingdutch said:
[...]

Congrats on the effort - your race reports really make the race come alive!

Just to pick up on the race into the hairpin - the guy that stuck it in too fast did a popular motocross move. Bicycles don't have the same acceleration as a moto, but if you have a teammate willing to block, they can cut off the line of your opponent whilst you sail on through. Basically, your teammate has to come up fast from behind while you enter wide and fast (on the optimal line). Ideally, you should _just_ get into the corner before your teammate flies in too fast (on the wrong line) and then he brakes heavily to get on to the optimal line, though too slow, blocking other people that followed you.

Care and coordination are paramount - your teammate could end up blocking you, crashing into you or other riders, so the blocking has to be somewhat subtle - interrupting the rhythm of the other riders could be enough to open a small gap...

Ritch

PS. It is also a good way of becoming very unpopular with other riders...

flyingdutch wrote:
> Lots of familiar faces. Gags, BT, Blah and later DaveB and
> Jazmo plus a few other faces i knew from other exploits...

Just to clarify BT, Blah and myself were there as the support crew
although we would all agree Blah has no valid excuse for not racing :)

Godd report Dutch we only get to see about 30 seconds of each lap, Blah
and I were working on schemes to sort that out but the only alternatives
seemed to involve a deforestation project or a very elaborate series of
mirrors.

DaveB

DaveB said:
...although we would all agree Blah has no valid excuse for not racing :)

or he's a big nancy-boy :D :D :D :D

(goading the blah's gotta work sooner or later. Altho he hammered me'n'Gags on the 1/20 this morning. Then again they both hammerd me :rolleyes: )

DaveB said:
Godd report Dutch we only get to see about 30 seconds of each lap, Blah
and I were working on schemes to sort that out but the only alternatives
seemed to involve a deforestation project or a very elaborate series of
mirrors.
DaveB

Or maybe some centra observation tower where you can see the whole circuit from. Or those olympic/soccer style cameras that zoom along on a monorail setup next to the course, or ...

flyingdutch said:
or he's a big nancy-boy :D :D :D :D

(goading the blah's gotta work sooner or later. Altho he hammered me'n'Gags on the 1/20 this morning. Then again they both hammerd me :rolleyes: )

So lads, what were your times?
Are the on Cycle2Max?

Cheers,
Craigster.

P.S. You lot missed a nice stack in A-grade last night. Poor guy out front came adrift on the hairpin and travelled for about a metre on his left buttock. Ouch.

craigster_jd said:
So lads, what were your times?
Are the on Cycle2Max?

Cheers,
Craigster.

P.S. You lot missed a nice stack in A-grade last night. Poor guy out front came adrift on the hairpin and travelled for about a metre on his left buttock. Ouch.

I struggled in at about 21.5 minutes but Im sure i could beat that if fresh and now i know what's involved. Blah and Gags did just under and over 20min respectively.

Eeeek. hate just hearing about stacks. Did you see the Cgrader (only recently up from Dgrade) ground his pedal and turn on the spot about 75deg? Amazing he kept it upright. I think he killed his pedal tho (or it was too close to the end to get 'back on') cos he walked dejectedly down to the corner/BBQ

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

Well done Dutchy. Sorry I did not have the time on Wed to stick around till
the end of the race to see your charge up the hill to the finish line. I
caught the first 3 or 4 laps and witnessed your entrance and exit from the
hairpin. I probably would not have gone so wide through the apex of the
bend but in light of the numbers and experience level of those that were
racing it probably was not a bad idea to have that little extra bit of space
between yourself and the person on your left. I think it might have been
one of the C grade riders that had a pretty spectacular "almost lost it
moment" on that corner.

Geoff