Kew Crits 14/12

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
Well the aim for today was to lead out Gags for a podium finish....just one problem....No Gags! This meant I had to ride for myself, and quite frankly I couldn't be stuffed. I was in trouble early when I lost touch with the bunch after about 6 mins, it took me a while to get going. Thankfully the bunch eased up after passing D-grade, and I was able to tack back on. Just kept rolling around until 2 to go, where I was towards the back, and decided it was about time to move up. I flew up the hill after the hairpin, settling in to 3rd wheel crossing the line. Pulled out rounding the sweeper and got to the hairpin in first, with a couple of riders overtaking me on the inside. Sprinted as hard as I could and rolled across the line to take my 3rd place....if it wasn't for bloody Toby getting me on the right, didn't even know he was there..yes thats right I sat up, and threw 3rd away by 1/2 a wheel.

Still I'm happy with 4th

So Gags you would have had the perfect leadout, maybe next week....then again I may not be in such a generous mood :D

Go warwych...first female in D-grade yay :)

"essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Well the aim for today was to lead out Gags for a podium finish....just
> one problem....No Gags! This meant I had to ride for myself, and quite
> frankly I couldn't be stuffed. I was in trouble early when I lost touch
> with the bunch after about 6 mins, it took me a while to get going.
> Thankfully the bunch eased up after passing D-grade, and I was able to
> tack back on. Just kept rolling around until 2 to go, where I was
> towards the back, and decided it was about time to move up. I flew up
> the hill after the hairpin, settling in to 3rd wheel crossing the line.
> Pulled out rounding the sweeper and got to the hairpin in first, with a
> couple of riders overtaking me on the inside. Sprinted as hard as I
> could and rolled across the line to take my 3rd place....if it wasn't
> for bloody Toby getting me on the right, didn't even know he was
> there..yes thats right I sat up, and threw 3rd away by 1/2 a wheel.
>
> Still I'm happy with 4th
>
> So Gags you would have had the perfect leadout, maybe next week....then
> again I may not be in such a generous mood :D
>
> Go warwych...first female in D-grade yay :)
>

> --
> essendon93

My second ever crit, so again the thought was just to ride and see how I
went - see if I could hang with the pack this time. Sat toward the back
half of the pack, moved up towards the front every few laps or so, just to
make sure I stayed in touch with the leaders, and didnt fall off the back.
I get the feeling I'm too nice or cautious at the moment, giving way to a
perhaps a few too many riders. I have to practice the hairpin more also,
lose a bit of ground around there.

So I managed to stay with the pack for the whole race, and with 2 laps to
go, I decided to move up closer to the leaders. Pushed up the hill and with
much enthusiasm somehow shot straight to the front of the pack, leading by
about 10 meters orso. I sat up to wait for someone else to jump in front,
and sure enough someone came racing up and overtook me, so I jumped on his
wheel for what I hoped was a nice tow around. As he started up the back
straight, he seemed to lose speed and we got swamped by the bunch again. By
the time we got around to the back straight again, a few riders had already
jumped and I was left toward to the back of the pack, way too far back to
compete so I took an easy spin around and back up over the start/finish
line.

Overall I was really happy with how I went, I guess I have another week to
play with tactics before the break, and hopefully I'll get some time to
practice that hairpin also.

Ash

twas a hard one for moi.
REALLY didnt feel like it as i was rocking up which is a dumbarse attitiude to be turning up with :rolleyes:
stayed in the first 5-10 for the first 5-6 laps.
There was a 10YR OLD in our field, all kitted out on a cool lil road-giant (i think) and all the right gear, dad lookin on proudly. i saw him ahead of me on the back strraight and Im assuming we had lapped him. Well bugger me if he dont go to the front up the hill!!! the lil legend had actually hung on for 6-7 laps and was competing. rock on future HCC champ :D
Anyways, general pace was well up, quite a few surges. Cgrade deciding to pass and then just sit there 50m ahead. this meant D were getting tempted to up tempo and stay 50m behind also :rolleyes:
gets to 3 to go and I'm still 5-10ish but have major splutter fest and pull a heart/brain muscle and decide with 1 to go that I'm spent :(
excuses are too easy to find. funny how you dont notice this shite when your doin well :rolleyes:
sick of being sick...

essendon93 said:
[...]

Thanks Ess. Congrats on the 4th!

Hmm my first crit and 3rd ride on new bike, plus partially cooked legs from track training on Tues - interesting combination. Gotta get the hang of doing that hairpin in the right gear (when I can find the right gear!! which button do I push?? Waaaaaaah :eek: campag newbie hehehe ;) ) I think Dutchy jinxed me when he said this hill will suit you fine!! Each time out of the 'pin into that bloody hill I thought track is so easy compared to this hehehe :p I had some of FD's post-work syndrome too.

Great circuit, good bunch of people to ride with, friendly commissaire, very weird getting first female. Goal is now to hang on and stay on!!! Thanks for a fun (ie bloody hard) ride guys!! :D

warrwych said:
Great circuit, good bunch of people to ride with, friendly commissaire, very weird getting first female. Goal is now to hang on and stay on!!! Thanks for a fun (ie bloody hard) ride guys!! :D

yeah, Simon is wicked. and he lurks/works at Peter Moore's shed, err, bikeshop, err jumble sale...

flyingdutch said:
yeah, Simon is wicked. and he lurks/works at Peter Moore's shed, err, bikeshop, err jumble sale...

He is freaky cos he is incredibly similar in looks and attitude to Warragul's fabulous race organiser Staf (go Staf!!!) So it was a bit like racing at home. Simon made me feel very welcome and was supportive and encouraging - thanks Simon!!

"essendon93" wrote in message ...

> couple of riders overtaking me on the inside. Sprinted as hard as I
> could and rolled across the line to take my 3rd place....if it wasn't
> for bloody Toby getting me on the right, didn't even know he was
> there..yes thats right I sat up, and threw 3rd away by 1/2 a wheel.

oh what a *******... I was all ready to race too, but work went nutso from
around 4 though to 6, so I couldn't get out the door... ended up at the
crits about 5mins after A had finished.. so I did a few quick laps and rode
the bouile with Russ...

Russ turned off for home so I did a few hill sprints... at the base of one
hill some dude spotted me fast approaching and took off... pushing his pudgy
little legs as quick as he could then turning to see where I was again... as
if I wasn't going to chase him down anyways, this gave me even more
incentive to blow him away.. job done topping out @ 97% MHR.. I gotta find
that missing 3%! :) Cheers to carrots on the boulie, you provide perfect
interval training..

cheers,
GPL

GPLama said:
Russ turned off for home so I did a few hill sprints... at the base of one
hill some dude spotted me fast approaching and took off... pushing his pudgy
little legs as quick as he could then turning to see where I was again... as
if I wasn't going to chase him down anyways, this gave me even more
incentive to blow him away.. job done topping out @ 97% MHR.. I gotta find
that missing 3%! :) Cheers to carrots on the boulie, you provide perfect
interval training..

cheers,
GPL

get your sorry **** back on the 'dancefloor' skinny

slaying commuters is like shooting fish in a barrel :rolleyes:

GPLama said:
.. job done topping out @ 97% MHR.. I gotta find
that missing 3%!
GPL
Sounds like ya Polar needs calibrating. When was the last time you did a Polar Fitness test?:rolleyes:

"GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "essendon93" wrote in message ...
> >
> > couple of riders overtaking me on the inside. Sprinted as hard as I
> > could and rolled across the line to take my 3rd place....if it wasn't
> > for bloody Toby getting me on the right, didn't even know he was
> > there..yes thats right I sat up, and threw 3rd away by 1/2 a wheel.
> >

> oh what a *******... I was all ready to race too, but work went nutso from
> around 4 though to 6, so I couldn't get out the door... ended up at the
> crits about 5mins after A had finished.. so I did a few quick laps and

rode
> the bouile with Russ...
>
> Russ turned off for home so I did a few hill sprints... at the base of one
> hill some dude spotted me fast approaching and took off... pushing his

pudgy
> little legs as quick as he could then turning to see where I was again...

as
> if I wasn't going to chase him down anyways, this gave me even more
> incentive to blow him away.. job done topping out @ 97% MHR.. I gotta

find
> that missing 3%! :) Cheers to carrots on the boulie, you provide perfect
> interval training..
>

> cheers,
> GPL

That might have been the 3% that fell out of your **** when I passed you on
the hill out of Diamond Creek on Sunday.......(cheapshot but I gotta milk
this for all it is worth as I doubt it will happen again in a hurry!!)

Ride On,
Gags

"A5Hi5M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Well the aim for today was to lead out Gags for a podium finish....just
> > one problem....No Gags!

Unfortunately, I was in Sydney for the day and didn't get back to Melb till
way too late. Well done Ess - can't wait till next week.........don't ever
sit up on the line - cardinal sin!!!!!

Sounds like Ash and Warwych did pretty well too......still waiting for the
a.b or BR 1-2-3 at Kew....might need to organise a team breakaway one
week!!!

Gags

"Gags" wrote in message ...

> That might have been the 3% that fell out of your **** when I passed you
> on
> the hill out of Diamond Creek on Sunday.......(cheapshot but I gotta milk
> this for all it is worth as I doubt it will happen again in a hurry!!)

Heh... I'm tempted to finish off my SS and bring it out this Sunday..might
be a bit of an ask tho.. and I can't give the rest of the field a 17 or 19
gear head start just yet ;)

cheers,
GPL