Kew Crits 15/3 RR



Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
124
48
Howdy fellow crit monkeys, tonight was another furious night of crit action action action!

My second A Grade Race resulted in a lot of pain but some satisfaciton at finishing with the bunch. Basically today we had Daniel Bernstiens back (National u23 MTB Champ and various other awards), Damion Drapac and a whole other bunch of fast bastards whose names i cannot recall. One the first lap, young Drapac powered away and the pace was above 40 for the rest of the race. Daniel B then attacked and took three others with him leaving a few others, some cool malaysian trackie, and myself to chase (in vain!). There were a few attacks but basically we all rolled through until we couldn't roll no more! On the last lap i picked up a few spots up the hill and finished i think around 10th.

40 mins +3 laps
Ave speed 40.3 (for the chasers, not the winners)

Any one else race? I spoke to Ess prior to his race and saw him get stuck on the front on the bell lap!

Also our resident cancer patient resembling Mountain Lama was there but slacking off as usual...;)

Jono
 

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
399
0
0
My problem all race was being bumped off wheels, and not being able to slot in the line. As a result I was like a yo-yo all race...up to the front, then slipping back as riders came up the inside and outside just before the hairpin. It was so much nicer and safer last week, single file though the hairpin...forget about it tonight, 3 and 4 wide.

Took out the first of 3 intermediate sprints :) ...only to hear Dutchy yell out no not this lap :rolleyes: Ash getting a place in the next two :D

Made my move up towards the front coming up over the hill for the bell lap, looking to slot in to 2nd wheel, unfortunately I ended out in front. From here I kept looking over my shoulder for the moves to come, ready to jump on a wheel. That plan worked until the bloke died in the ****, which left me with nowhere to go as we were swamped on either side. Coming into the hairpin I had to jump on the brakes as MR GUMBY decides to cut across...F*#K that guy is getting on my nerves. A young kid overshot the turn and ended up in the fence..no harm done.

So if could hold a wheel and be smarter things would have worked out alright. Not sure what to do next week for the last crit of the season.
 
T

TimC

Guest
On 2006-03-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> Jono L Wrote:
>> pics available here...
>>
>> http://mat.haxial.net/omgwtfbbq/HCC_050315/

>
> Pic 44 - Ess and I looking like we just rode in on horses.... :)


From Brokeback Mtn?

;{P

--
TimC
If it weren't for C, we'd be writing programs in BASI, PASAL, and OBOL.
 

a5hi5m

New Member
Aug 22, 2005
145
0
0
essendon93 said:
Not sure what to do next week for the last crit of the season.
Yeah, now that i have a new pair of socks :)D) i'll try to either a) not bother with int. sprints like i normally do or b) make sure of what lap it is and only sprint for it once.

I tried just hanging onto the back for a few laps to catch my wits .. but that seemed just as hard with all the changes in pace and yo-yo'ing.

I thought i should continue for a couple of laps rather than making it look like i was just in it for the sprint .. but then really could'nt be arsed.

Im sure between Ess and Andres, BR should be able to place someone reasonably well for the last one.


Ash
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
TimC said:
From Brokeback Mtn?

bahahahah

Dutchy's night consisted of...
walk up to rego table. "Your in C!"
[email protected]##!! I get one THIRD last week and I'm bumped. tough room.
Wouldnt mind if i were fit enuff for it (or it were PRE-Amsterdam :rolleyes:) so left the half dozen riders who have had multiple WINs, seconds and highly ranked THIRDs do their stuff in the comfort of D.

Aim? not get dropped.
Yeah right!
theoretically C wouldnt be that much of a jump as ave had only been 0.5kph faster than D last week and C hadnt even passed D so theoretically...
Of course Ess told me the newbie tip "just stay at the front..."
We takes off, it's all good and then i realise I'm at the back goin round the hairpin, DoooooooooHH!!!
Basically sprint uphill to keep on, and do same for 3 more laps, try and move up but that effort has me spent and fall off the back near top of hill.
float about 50m back and actually regain some ground over the next 1.5 laps (they musta sat up?) and i have the ignonamy of seeing my ex-friends from D as 'we' pass and a few yell encouragement for me to get back on C.
Boldly sprint up hill and then totally shagged. Bugger!
Get to watch the mtb dude who has place dfor the last 4 weeks WIN D.

On a perversely brighter note i got some stats off my HR which was one ugly graph of pain and friggin high HR!
tells a sadly undeniable story of how my HR was thru roof and got higher on every climb and the peaky bits crept up every lap till i pulled out.
uuuuurrrggghhhhh!!!

F"!%@@[email protected]$!!!!"Dutch
 

warrwych

New Member
Jun 7, 2004
1,009
0
0
Jono L said:
Howdy fellow crit monkeys, tonight was another furious night of crit action action action!

My second A Grade Race resulted in a lot of pain but some satisfaciton at finishing with the bunch. Basically today we had Daniel Bernstiens back (National u23 MTB Champ and various other awards), Damion Drapac and a whole other bunch of fast bastards whose names i cannot recall. One the first lap, young Drapac powered away and the pace was above 40 for the rest of the race. Daniel B then attacked and took three others with him leaving a few others, some cool malaysian trackie, and myself to chase (in vain!). There were a few attacks but basically we all rolled through until we couldn't roll no more! On the last lap i picked up a few spots up the hill and finished i think around 10th.

40 mins +3 laps
Ave speed 40.3 (for the chasers, not the winners)

Any one else race? I spoke to Ess prior to his race and saw him get stuck on the front on the bell lap!

Also our resident cancer patient resembling Mountain Lama was there but slacking off as usual...;)

Jono

I was all psyched up to race earlier this week, woke yesterday morning feeling like [email protected], so ended up doing a "training" ride on the boulie with my Personal Towing Machine (Wheelsuckers Inc TM). Hopefully the cycling gods will be kind to me next week, boost my healthfactors by 10 and I'll be there with bells, horns, whistles, sirens, flashing lights and more pink in my hair.

Good that the rain didnt eventuate for you guys last night.
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
warrwych said:
I was all psyched up to race earlier this week, woke yesterday morning feeling like [email protected], so ended up doing a "training" ride on the boulie with my Personal Towing Machine (Wheelsuckers Inc TM). Hopefully the cycling gods will be kind to me next week, boost my healthfactors by 10 and I'll be there with bells, horns, whistles, sirens, flashing lights and more pink in my hair.

Good that the rain didnt eventuate for you guys last night.

you in town now? i thawt you lurked down yonder...?
 

warrwych

New Member
Jun 7, 2004
1,009
0
0
flyingdutch said:
you in town now? i thawt you lurked down yonder...?

Town during the week - country estate weekends ;) But I still call meself a down yonderer, not a townie.