Kew crits breakaway next week?



essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
399
0
0
Ok I figure what better way to train for a TT, than doing one. So Gags if your up to it...how abouts we have a bit of fun for the first half of the race.

Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

Aim is to last 15 mins at LT, doubt I'll hang around for the entire 35mins.

The good thing is theres no C-graders in the forum :D
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
essendon93 said:
Ok I figure what better way to train for a TT, than doing one. So Gags if your up to it...how abouts we have a bit of fun for the first half of the race.

Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

Aim is to last 15 mins at LT, doubt I'll hang around for the entire 35mins.

The good thing is theres no C-graders in the forum :D

IMHO would work better if Gags does the uphill and you do the other, whilst Gags climbing ability has come a huge ditance ove the last 6mths, he's more a uphill Indurain than your Pantani :D

I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D
 

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
124
48
flyingdutch said:
I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D
aww yeh, sure you were:rolleyes: hehe. Good Luck to you lot, and you can't back out now! Should be good watching
 
T

TimC

Guest
On 2006-02-18, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> essendon93 Wrote:
>> Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you
>> take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where
>> you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few
>> gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

....
> I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D


Which means, if you don't pull it off, then you're going to pay for
it. No pressure or anything :)

--
TimC
When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic
Periodic Table Table story, and I will be even happier. ;^)
-- Emil Brink on /., about the periodic table table.
 

a5hi5m

New Member
Aug 22, 2005
145
0
0
flyingdutch said:
IMHO would work better if Gags does the uphill and you do the other, whilst Gags climbing ability has come a huge ditance ove the last 6mths, he's more a uphill Indurain than your Pantani :D

I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D
Hmm, could break away with them and watch from there ;)

Speaking of which, how permitted (legal?) for breakaway's from different grades to work together?


Ash
 

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
399
0
0
a5hi5m said:
Hmm, could break away with them and watch from there ;)

Speaking of which, how permitted (legal?) for breakaway's from different grades to work together?


Ash
Not entirely sure...I remember a couple of weeks back there was some B-graders mixed up with the A-graders, with B's overtaking them going over the hill, this continued for a number of laps.
 

gplama

Well-Known Member
May 16, 2004
7,819
378
83
Melbourne. Sometimes.
a5hi5m said:
Speaking of which, how permitted (legal?) for breakaway's from different grades to work together?
Ash

I assume it is 'No drafting other grades'... for all forms of drafting/working together etc.. it really isn't fair otherwise..

cheers
GPL
 

gplama

Well-Known Member
May 16, 2004
7,819
378
83
Melbourne. Sometimes.
essendon93 said:
Not entirely sure...I remember a couple of weeks back there was some B-graders mixed up with the A-graders, with B's overtaking them going over the hill, this continued for a number of laps.

Yeah, that looked to be a combination of strong B graders attacking and A graders being lazy and not looking pro :)

cheers,
GPL
 
B

Bleve

Guest
a5hi5m wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > IMHO would work better if Gags does the uphill and you do the other,
> > whilst Gags climbing ability has come a huge ditance ove the last
> > 6mths, he's more a uphill Indurain than your Pantani :D
> >
> > I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

> Hmm, could break away with them and watch from there ;)
>
> Speaking of which, how permitted (legal?) for breakaway's from
> different grades to work together?


It's completely against the rules, and if you do it, and a commisaire
sees it (*hint* Cam & I were rolling commisaires last week ... and
we're watching :) ) you get disqualified.

There's sometimes occasions where a break gets swamped by another
grade, and there's not much that can be done about it except remind the
swaping grade rdiers to give the break room just like they should when
overtaking the main bunch.
 

a5hi5m

New Member
Aug 22, 2005
145
0
0
I figured this was the case, just thought I'd check .. I've seen instances of some breakaways getting "mixed up" with other grades tho and thought id check.

I did see Cam send a rider back the week before, who looked like he got a little excited when C grade passed us (I think it was his first race there tho)


Ash
 
G

Gags

Guest
"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected].
> On 2006-02-18, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
> >
> > essendon93 Wrote:
> >> Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you
> >> take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where
> >> you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few
> >> gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

> ...
> > I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

>
> Which means, if you don't pull it off, then you're going to pay for
> it. No pressure or anything :)
>
> --
> TimC
> When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic
> Periodic Table Table story, and I will be even happier. ;^)
> -- Emil Brink on /., about the periodic table table.


Ess.....can't see the original post on Outlook thingo but read it on the
cyclingforums.com page (still can't work out how to post on there despite
completing the registration procedures???)

I'm game if you are......reckon that it might be a good laugh if nothing
else even though I will probably blow up after about 4 laps or so but it
still could be fun!!! Maybe we could get a bit in front and then hide in
the trees while the pack goes past and spend the rest of the race on the
back as the field tries to catch up with us......hehehe. The only problem I
see with this is all the guys who sit at the start finish line and call out
splits to their mates in C grade!!!!

See you there.

Gags
 

gplama

Well-Known Member
May 16, 2004
7,819
378
83
Melbourne. Sometimes.
Gags said:
I'm game if you are......reckon that it might be a good laugh if nothing
else even though I will probably blow up after about 4 laps or so but it
still could be fun!!! Maybe we could get a bit in front and then hide in
the trees while the pack goes past and spend the rest of the race on the
back as the field tries to catch up with us......hehehe.

Or once you are almost cooked.. drop back and sit on the front to control the pace of C.. See if Ess can gain a full lap on the bunch.. Not that I would support such team tactics in crits*

My quick calcs show it would take around 16-17 laps to lap the field if you kept putting 6-7secs a lap into C...


*ok, maybe for people I know I would ;)
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Gags said:
I'm game if you are......reckon that it might be a good laugh if nothing
else even though I will probably blow up after about 4 laps or so but it
still could be fun!!! Maybe we could get a bit in front and then hide in
the trees while the pack goes past and spend the rest of the race on the
back as the field tries to catch up with us......hehehe. The only problem I
see with this is all the guys who sit at the start finish line and call out
splits to their mates in C grade!!!!

See you there.

Gags

hehe.

When watchin A-B grade it sometimes dont 'pay' to tell the chasin group that they are goin backwards timewise, so sometimes you fudge the time difference to keep em keen
OR tell em that they keep losin 5 secs/lap and they give up! :D:D:D
 

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
399
0
0
gplama said:
Or once you are almost cooked.. drop back and sit on the front to control the pace of C.. See if Ess can gain a full lap on the bunch.. Not that I would support such team tactics in crits*

My quick calcs show it would take around 16-17 laps to lap the field if you kept putting 6-7secs a lap into C...


*ok, maybe for people I know I would ;)
Steady on...how quick do you think I am? :) I doubt I'll be out in front for 16 laps somehow. Must say though todays TT was good training holding off the bunch, concentrating on a steady tempo. For once I didn't blow up on that stretch, but I certainly wasn't taking 6-7 sec every 2 mins.

26 deg on Wed

Gags, how did you want to play it? You think Dutchys idea for you to take the hill is better?
 
G

Gags

Guest
"essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
>


>
> Gags, how did you want to play it? You think Dutchys idea for you to
> take the hill is better?
> --


I reckon that there is not much assistance to be had for the first half of
the hill in drafting anyway so maybe we could see who is in front on each
lap and then swap positions say at the top of the hill and then after the
rolling uphill rise on the corner nearest the city. It will be interesting
to see if anyone decides to go with us from the start as there are generally
a couple of guys each week who take off like a bull at a gate!!!! I will
have to force myself to take it relatively easy on the way to and from work
for the next couple of days!!

Gags
 
B

Bleve

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:

> hehe.
>
> When watchin A-B grade it sometimes dont 'pay' to tell the chasin group
> that they are goin backwards timewise, so sometimes you fudge the time
> difference to keep em keen


While I'm pretty sure you're joking about that Dutchy, I know if I
caught anyone doing such a thing I'd be tempted to take them out behind
the bike shed and introduce them to a swift kick in the backside.
That's up there with booing when someone's taking a penalty kick at
goal etc. Extremely bad sportsmanship.

Speaking of bad crowd behaviour, at the last Hawthorn crit there was an
older bloke on a tatty old MTB and a collingwood tracksuit top riding
the wrong way around the track. This was obviously a bad idea, but the
spectators at the top of the hill at the start/finish line proceeded
not only to "request" that he move off the track but also to carry on
with some rigourous abuse of the bloke, including ad hominen attacks on
his choice of football team to support. They could have been a lot
less abusive and got the bloke off the track without behaving like they
did. I wasn't very impressed.
 
D

DaveB

Guest
Gags wrote:
> a couple of guys each week who take off like a bull at a gate!!!! I will
> have to force myself to take it relatively easy on the way to and from work
> for the next couple of days!!
>


Maybe stick to running in but not home.

DaveB
 

warrwych

New Member
Jun 7, 2004
1,009
0
0
flyingdutch said:
I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

Now that DISC is shut for several weeks :( , I'll be there for another bash. My plan over the next few weeks is to just hang onto the bunch!!! :D
 

adam85

New Member
Mar 2, 2004
486
0
0
Bleve said:
While I'm pretty sure you're joking about that Dutchy, I know if I
caught anyone doing such a thing I'd be tempted to take them out behind
the bike shed and introduce them to a swift kick in the backside.
That's up there with booing when someone's taking a penalty kick at
goal etc. Extremely bad sportsmanship.

I don't reckon that's the same as booing a penalty kick. You don't want to tell big porkies but telling a chasing pack they are 40 seconds not 50 seconds is OK if you reckon they are being a bit slack and can pull it back with a bit of an effort. I would want to know exact times if I was in a break though.

Adam
 

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
0
0
Bleve said:
While I'm pretty sure you're joking about that Dutchy, I know if I
caught anyone doing such a thing I'd be tempted to take them out behind
the bike shed and introduce them to a swift kick in the backside.
That's up there with booing when someone's taking a penalty kick at
goal etc. Extremely bad sportsmanship.

bwahahahhhh :D

been more like the chasers staying at, say, 20sec gap on repeated laps and once fudgin it to perhaps 18/19sec to give em encouragement to keep pushin if still plenty of time to do so.

What's really interesting (altho not necessary recently due to Cam and Carl's stellar work being riding marshalls the last couple of weeks) is standing with Simon-Commissaire at top-of-hill/FLine and then duckin down thru scrub the 30-odd metres to the lower half of loop to see just which ones are 'sitting-on' and yet miraculously looking all innocent and clear of the higher grade when coming back to top of hill again. Looks on faces is classic from guilt parties as you stand there on hill.