Kew crits breakaway next week?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by essendon93, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Ok I figure what better way to train for a TT, than doing one. So Gags if your up to it...how abouts we have a bit of fun for the first half of the race.

    Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

    Aim is to last 15 mins at LT, doubt I'll hang around for the entire 35mins.

    The good thing is theres no C-graders in the forum :D

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    IMHO would work better if Gags does the uphill and you do the other, whilst Gags climbing ability has come a huge ditance ove the last 6mths, he's more a uphill Indurain than your Pantani :D

    I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

  3. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    aww yeh, sure you were:rolleyes: hehe. Good Luck to you lot, and you can't back out now! Should be good watching

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-18, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

    > essendon93 Wrote:
    >> Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you
    >> take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where
    >> you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few
    >> gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

    > I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

    Which means, if you don't pull it off, then you're going to pay for
    it. No pressure or anything :)

    --
    TimC
    When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic

  5. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, could break away with them and watch from there ;)

    Speaking of which, how permitted (legal?) for breakaway's from different grades to work together?

    Ash

  6. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Not entirely sure...I remember a couple of weeks back there was some B-graders mixed up with the A-graders, with B's overtaking them going over the hill, this continued for a number of laps.

  7. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    I assume it is 'No drafting other grades'... for all forms of drafting/working together etc.. it really isn't fair otherwise..

    cheers
    GPL

  8. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Yeah, that looked to be a combination of strong B graders attacking and A graders being lazy and not looking pro :)

    cheers,
    GPL

  9. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    a5hi5m wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > IMHO would work better if Gags does the uphill and you do the other,
    > > whilst Gags climbing ability has come a huge ditance ove the last
    > > 6mths, he's more a uphill Indurain than your Pantani :D
    > >
    > > I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

    > Hmm, could break away with them and watch from there ;)
    >
    > Speaking of which, how permitted (legal?) for breakaway's from
    > different grades to work together?

    It's completely against the rules, and if you do it, and a commisaire
    sees it (*hint* Cam & I were rolling commisaires last week ... and
    we're watching :) ) you get disqualified.

    There's sometimes occasions where a break gets swamped by another
    grade, and there's not much that can be done about it except remind the
    swaping grade rdiers to give the break room just like they should when
    overtaking the main bunch.

  10. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    I figured this was the case, just thought I'd check .. I've seen instances of some breakaways getting "mixed up" with other grades tho and thought id check.

    I did see Cam send a rider back the week before, who looked like he got a little excited when C grade passed us (I think it was his first race there tho)

    Ash

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].
    > On 2006-02-18, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
    > >
    > > essendon93 Wrote:
    > >> Basic plan: Go from the gun, 1/2 lap turns, I'll take the hill, you
    > >> take the downhill around the sweeper. Int sprint at say 15min, where
    > >> you can pick up your inner tube :D After that I would have blown a few
    > >> gaskets, so back to the pack to die.

    > > I was gonna race D but might sit out ust to watch this :D:D

    > Which means, if you don't pull it off, then you're going to pay for
    > it. No pressure or anything :)
    >
    > --
    > TimC
    > When some other esteemed editor reposts this, it'll be the Periodic
    > Periodic Table Table story, and I will be even happier. ;^)
    > -- Emil Brink on /., about the periodic table table.

    Ess.....can't see the original post on Outlook thingo but read it on the
    cyclingforums.com page (still can't work out how to post on there despite
    completing the registration procedures???)

    I'm game if you are......reckon that it might be a good laugh if nothing
    else even though I will probably blow up after about 4 laps or so but it
    still could be fun!!! Maybe we could get a bit in front and then hide in
    the trees while the pack goes past and spend the rest of the race on the
    back as the field tries to catch up with us......hehehe. The only problem I
    see with this is all the guys who sit at the start finish line and call out
    splits to their mates in C grade!!!!

    See you there.

    Gags

  12. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Or once you are almost cooked.. drop back and sit on the front to control the pace of C.. See if Ess can gain a full lap on the bunch.. Not that I would support such team tactics in crits*

    My quick calcs show it would take around 16-17 laps to lap the field if you kept putting 6-7secs a lap into C...

    *ok, maybe for people I know I would ;)

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hehe.

    When watchin A-B grade it sometimes dont 'pay' to tell the chasin group that they are goin backwards timewise, so sometimes you fudge the time difference to keep em keen
    OR tell em that they keep losin 5 secs/lap and they give up! :D:D:D

  14. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Steady on...how quick do you think I am? :) I doubt I'll be out in front for 16 laps somehow. Must say though todays TT was good training holding off the bunch, concentrating on a steady tempo. For once I didn't blow up on that stretch, but I certainly wasn't taking 6-7 sec every 2 mins.

    26 deg on Wed

    Gags, how did you want to play it? You think Dutchys idea for you to take the hill is better?

  15. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Gags, how did you want to play it? You think Dutchys idea for you to
    > take the hill is better?
    > --

    I reckon that there is not much assistance to be had for the first half of
    the hill in drafting anyway so maybe we could see who is in front on each
    lap and then swap positions say at the top of the hill and then after the
    rolling uphill rise on the corner nearest the city. It will be interesting
    to see if anyone decides to go with us from the start as there are generally
    a couple of guys each week who take off like a bull at a gate!!!! I will
    have to force myself to take it relatively easy on the way to and from work
    for the next couple of days!!

    Gags

  16. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > hehe.
    >
    > When watchin A-B grade it sometimes dont 'pay' to tell the chasin group
    > that they are goin backwards timewise, so sometimes you fudge the time
    > difference to keep em keen

    While I'm pretty sure you're joking about that Dutchy, I know if I
    caught anyone doing such a thing I'd be tempted to take them out behind
    the bike shed and introduce them to a swift kick in the backside.
    That's up there with booing when someone's taking a penalty kick at
    goal etc. Extremely bad sportsmanship.

    Speaking of bad crowd behaviour, at the last Hawthorn crit there was an
    older bloke on a tatty old MTB and a collingwood tracksuit top riding
    the wrong way around the track. This was obviously a bad idea, but the
    spectators at the top of the hill at the start/finish line proceeded
    not only to "request" that he move off the track but also to carry on
    with some rigourous abuse of the bloke, including ad hominen attacks on
    his choice of football team to support. They could have been a lot
    less abusive and got the bloke off the track without behaving like they
    did. I wasn't very impressed.

  17. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Gags wrote:
    > a couple of guys each week who take off like a bull at a gate!!!! I will
    > have to force myself to take it relatively easy on the way to and from work
    > for the next couple of days!!

    Maybe stick to running in but not home.

    DaveB

  18. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Now that DISC is shut for several weeks :( , I'll be there for another bash. My plan over the next few weeks is to just hang onto the bunch!!! :D

  19. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    I don't reckon that's the same as booing a penalty kick. You don't want to tell big porkies but telling a chasing pack they are 40 seconds not 50 seconds is OK if you reckon they are being a bit slack and can pull it back with a bit of an effort. I would want to know exact times if I was in a break though.

    Adam

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    bwahahahhhh :D

    been more like the chasers staying at, say, 20sec gap on repeated laps and once fudgin it to perhaps 18/19sec to give em encouragement to keep pushin if still plenty of time to do so.

    What's really interesting (altho not necessary recently due to Cam and Carl's stellar work being riding marshalls the last couple of weeks) is standing with Simon-Commissaire at top-of-hill/FLine and then duckin down thru scrub the 30-odd metres to the lower half of loop to see just which ones are 'sitting-on' and yet miraculously looking all innocent and clear of the higher grade when coming back to top of hill again. Looks on faces is classic from guilt parties as you stand there on hill.