Key Lime pie

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Made my first key lime pie! I've seen recipes for them
    with a lot of ingredients, but this one took three for
    the crust and another three for the fill. This is for
    two 9" pies.

    crust:
    3 cups graham cracker crumbs
    9 Tb butter
    9 Tb sugar

    filling:
    1 cup key lime juice
    2 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
    6 lg egg yolks

    Press the crust into the pans and bake for 10 minutes
    at 300 degrees. I used a handheld electric beater and
    on the filling until well-blended. Pour into crust
    and bake at 350 for 16 minutes. Cool at room temp and
    then refrigerate. Delicious! I like mine piled high
    with whip cream. WAHOOO!!

    To be honest, the pie came out a bit thin. I think
    you could probably increase the filling by 50% and
    still not overflow. I did not see any swelling in the
    filling as it cooked.

    I understand that you don't need key lime juice, and
    that many conches don't bother with it. I think they
    use half/half lime and lemon juice, but don't quote me
    on that.

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Yef

    Yef Guest

    Unhealthy. I would like to see just one recipe for
    a pie crust that is not chock full of trans fat or
    saturated fat.

    When I make Key Lime Pie, I only make the filling,
    which I eat like it's yogurt. The heck with
    heart-killer fats.

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Yef wrote:
    > Unhealthy. I would like to see just one recipe for
    > a pie crust that is not chock full of trans fat or
    > saturated fat.
    >
    > When I make Key Lime Pie, I only make the filling,
    > which I eat like it's yogurt. The heck with
    > heart-killer fats.

    Pie is not supposed to be healthy.

    I don't have a recipe because I haven't tried it yet, but how about
    mixing pecan meal or ground almond with a very small amount of sugar and
    flour. Press it into the pie pan like you were making a graham cracker
    crust, and bake for 10 minutes. The nuts should have enough natural fat
    to make it work, but supposedly it's good-for-you fats.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  4. Yef

    Yef Guest

    Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.

    Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.

    Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.

    Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

  5. aem

    aem Guest

    Yef wrote:
    > Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.
    > Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.
    > Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.
    > Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

    What's your point? He's talking about key lime pie, a scrumptious
    dessert that contains some ingredients you don't seem to want. So you
    don't have to make it or eat it. So what? Yes, the egg yolks are
    necessary--this is a custardy thing, and yes, the graham cracker crust
    is traditional, and yes, there are things healthier than butter,
    although margarine is not one of them. That's why many people choose
    how much of it to use and when. If they choose to use it in this
    dessert, why not?

    -aem

  6. Mary

    Mary Guest

    You can make a pie crust with canola oil instead of solid shortening.
    Tastes great, and no sat fat.

    mary.
    news:[email protected]

  7. On Tue 08 Mar 2005 03:27:26p, Yef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.
    >
    > Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.
    >
    > Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.
    >
    > Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

    You've read and posted on this group long enough to know that the major
    focus here is clearly not on low-fat, low-cholesterol, zero trans fat,
    sugar-free, low-carb, etc., etc. etc.

    If you don't like recipes like the one that was posted, then don't make
    them. Simple enough. I doubt that anyone is going to customize a recipe
    for your personal taste. That's your job!

    The recipe was for pie, for cripes sake! Pies are typically decadent in
    one way or another and meant for sheer enjoyment, and unless you're a pig,
    a moderate amount of a good pie won't affect you one way or another. That
    is, unless one more gram of fat will put you in your coffin, in which case
    there's very little you should be eating. Consider a feeding tube.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  8. Bob Westcott

    Bob Westcott Guest

    Alright then, why don't you tell us how to make a key lime pie that will
    past the taste test and YOUR healthy eating test? You seem to bash pretty
    well, but how well can you actually cook?

    "Yef" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.
    >
    > Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.
    >
    > Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.
    >
    > Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

  9. Otto Bahn

    Otto Bahn Guest

    "Yef" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.
    >
    > Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.
    >
    > Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.
    >
    > Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

    How about we replace you with something that has a clue?

    --oTTo--

  10. Yef

    Yef Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Tue 08 Mar 2005 03:27:26p, Yef wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.
    > >
    > > Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.
    > >
    > > Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.
    > >
    > > Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

    > You've read and posted on this group long enough to know that the

    major
    > focus here is clearly not on low-fat, low-cholesterol, zero trans

    fat,
    > sugar-free, low-carb, etc., etc. etc.

    It should be, because it is perfectly possible to eat in a
    healthy manner and still enjoy some amount of sweets.
    If your personal focus in life is to harm yourself as
    much as possible, maybe YOU are in the wrong group,
    you should probably be in the sado-masochism area.

  11. Yef

    Yef Guest

    Hey, Bahn, hit the road. We don't need any 16 year old twerps like you
    in this forum.

  12. Yef

    Yef Guest

    Bash? Who's bashing? You seem paranoid.

  13. Yef

    Yef Guest

    Brilliant. You are a shining example of a rational, non-masochistic
    person.

  14. On Wed 09 Mar 2005 10:48:10a, Yef wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Tue 08 Mar 2005 03:27:26p, Yef wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >>
    >> > Are you joking? It's hideous, and unnecessarily so.
    >> >
    >> > Graham crackers (any brand) have trans fat.
    >> >
    >> > Egg yolks aren't (AFAIK) necessary.
    >> >
    >> > Butter should be replaced with something more healthy.

    >> You've read and posted on this group long enough to know that the
    >> major focus here is clearly not on low-fat, low-cholesterol, zero
    >> trans fat, sugar-free, low-carb, etc., etc. etc.

    > It should be, because it is perfectly possible to eat in a
    > healthy manner and still enjoy some amount of sweets.
    > If your personal focus in life is to harm yourself as
    > much as possible, maybe YOU are in the wrong group,
    > you should probably be in the sado-masochism area.

    This group was here in much the same form as now for many years longer than
    you have posted here. Your assinine comments don't really bear rebuttal,
    and your trolling manner is totally unwelcome.

    I hope you enjoy the company of very few others who reside in my kill file.

  15. --

    -- Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Made my first key lime pie! I've seen recipes for them
    > with a lot of ingredients, but this one took three for
    > the crust and another three for the fill. This is for
    > two 9" pies.
    >
    > crust:
    > 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
    > 9 Tb butter
    > 9 Tb sugar
    >
    > filling:
    > 1 cup key lime juice
    > 2 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
    > 6 lg egg yolks
    >
    > Press the crust into the pans and bake for 10 minutes
    > at 300 degrees. I used a handheld electric beater and
    > on the filling until well-blended. Pour into crust
    > and bake at 350 for 16 minutes. Cool at room temp and
    > then refrigerate. Delicious! I like mine piled high
    > with whip cream. WAHOOO!!
    >
    > To be honest, the pie came out a bit thin. I think
    > you could probably increase the filling by 50% and
    > still not overflow. I did not see any swelling in the
    > filling as it cooked.
    >
    > I understand that you don't need key lime juice, and
    > that many conches don't bother with it. I think they
    > use half/half lime and lemon juice, but don't quote me
    > on that.
    >
    > Michael

    Well done ...

    IMHO, Key lime pie without using key lime juice is like making chocolate
    pudding without chocolate.
    There is definitely a difference. The Key Lime Juice is available in bottles
    in most better groceries, and worth the nominal price. It is a
    richer-tasting more-aromatic and less-sour pie than regular lime juice.

    BTW - Many of the "original key lime pie" recipes I have seen do not bake
    the filling - in them, the raw eggs yolks just set - a scary thing even for
    me, before we could get pasteurized eggs.
    I still do as I used to - heat the filling very slowly to pasteurize
    temp, stirring slowly constantly with a wire whisk.

    No baking.

    Now I have one with a baking time.

  16. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    -- wrote:

    > IMHO, Key lime pie without using key lime juice is like making chocolate
    > pudding without chocolate.
    > There is definitely a difference. The Key Lime Juice is available in bottles
    > in most better groceries, and worth the nominal price. It is a
    > richer-tasting more-aromatic and less-sour pie than regular lime juice.

    I'm pretty sure what you are buying in those bottles is Key™ lime juice
    rather than the juice from key limes. (Good quality, but misleadingly
    labeled Persian lime juice)

    Best regards,
    Bob

  17. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Yef wrote:
    > Bash? Who's bashing? You seem paranoid.

    Please follow basic usenet etiquette and quote the relevant portion of
    the original message. I know you know how to from Google, because I've
    seen you do it elsewhere.

    Brian

  18. --

    -- Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > -- wrote:
    > >
    > > IMHO, Key lime pie without using key lime juice is like making chocolate
    > > pudding without chocolate.
    > > There is definitely a difference. The Key Lime Juice is available in

    bottles
    > > in most better groceries, and worth the nominal price. It is a
    > > richer-tasting more-aromatic and less-sour pie than regular lime juice.

    > I'm pretty sure what you are buying in those bottles is Key™ lime juice
    > rather than the juice from key limes. (Good quality, but misleadingly
    > labeled Persian lime juice)
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    I don't think I have ever seen that trademark name at the local store -
    there are a couple brands here, I'll have to check.

    My last bottle smelled just like the ripe whole key limes I can sometimes
    get by the bag and just like the little ripe key limes I get in Florida, and
    not like other limes.

    However, I have a brand new bottle and brand, Nellie and Joes, and it says
    "Key West Lime Juice from concentrate", and it's from a shop in the Florida
    keys.
    They say "the only lime juice manufactured in the keys" which is a kind of
    odd phrasing, and why an extra step of "from concentrate" if its bottled
    local? Fresh key limes have enough punch they don't need to be concentrated
    to use.
    This bottle does smell a little sharper and heavier than the other key
    limes I have had, so maybe it really is persian limes.
    Can't say that I have ever had a persian lime that I knew of so I could
    say it for sure.

    thanx for the tip

  19. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Bob wrote:

    I'm pretty sure what you are buying in those bottles is Key™ lime
    juice rather than the juice from key limes.

    *****************
    ARRGHHH!! You are right, Bob! I looked at the bottle. It's "Key West
    Lime Juice," not juice from key limes. My only consolation, I guess,
    is that I paid a lot for it. For some reason, I'm not comforted.
    Haha!

    Anyway, I'm glad you let me know. I would have gone back there and
    bought more of it.

    Michael

  20. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    -- wrote:
    > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >> I'm pretty sure what you are buying in those bottles is Key™ lime
    >> juice rather than the juice from key limes. (Good quality, but
    >> misleadingly labeled Persian lime juice)
    >>
    >> Best regards, Bob

    > I don't think I have ever seen that trademark name at the local store
    > - there are a couple brands here, I'll have to check.

    The Key™ was an extreme example of how they might legally mislabel the
    stuff. (Like the "wheat" crackers that someone posted about a few days
    ago that contain 0% whole wheat. They are just regular saltines with a
    little caramel color added. The name makes you think that they have a
    significant amount of whole wheat, but really all saltines are wheat
    crackers.)

    > My last bottle smelled just like the ripe whole key limes I can
    > sometimes get by the bag and just like the little ripe key limes I
    > get in Florida, and not like other limes.
    >
    > However, I have a brand new bottle and brand, Nellie and Joes, and it
    > says "Key West Lime Juice from concentrate", and it's from a shop in
    > the Florida keys. They say "the only lime juice manufactured in the
    > keys" which is a kind of odd phrasing, and why an extra step of "from
    > concentrate" if its bottled local? Fresh key limes have enough punch
    > they don't need to be concentrated to use.

    That Nellie and Joe's bottle has awfully tortured language to make you
    think the bottle contains key lime juice without actually saying that.
    They apparently buy frozen concentrated lime juice from who-knows-where,
    and dilute and bottle it (that's the "maufactured" part) in Key West,
    Florida. Maybe they buy the best lime juice in the world and really are
    a super-premium product. I won't buy it because I think the label is
    dishonest. The best case would be if they buy Mexican lime juice from
    Mexico or The Caribbean (see below), but I doubt it. If that were the
    case, they would proudly say "key limes" on the bottle somewhere.

    > This bottle does smell a little sharper and heavier than the other
    > key limes I have had, so maybe it really is persian limes. Can't say
    > that I have ever had a persian lime that I knew of so I could say it
    > for sure.

    Persian limes (Citrus latifolia) are the large thick-skinned limes that
    look like green lemons. There's nothing really wrong with them, except
    that they are picked green to keep them from being confused with lemons.
    When they ripen, they turn yellow. Mexican limes, or "limons" are the
    same thing as real key limes (Citrus aurantifolia). Key limes haven't
    been grown commercially in Florida since the 1920's when all the
    orchards were replanted after a freeze or flood or something wiped them out.

    Best regards,
    Bob