KFC Commercial

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Given the recent discussions about people eating fast food, yada, yada,
    yada... anyone see the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) commercial where the mom
    yells to the kids it's dinner time and they all rush out to get in the
    mini-van? She says something to her husband like, "Don't worry, they'll get
    used to eating at home".

    Don't get me wrong; I actually like KFC chicken on (very rare) occasion.
    But to me that commercial just screams out about what is wrong with families
    having dinner these days.

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. I have to agree with you, especially concerning childhood obesity. But
    that being said, at least they're all together for dinner - a very rare
    thing today. Of course, there's also the loss of the warm memories of
    Mom making something that smells good when you walk in the house,
    especially if it's one of your "favorites". Lots of love and memories
    there!

  3. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Given the recent discussions about people eating fast food, yada, yada,
    > yada... anyone see the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) commercial where the mom
    > yells to the kids it's dinner time and they all rush out to get in the
    > mini-van? She says something to her husband like, "Don't worry, they'll get
    > used to eating at home".
    >
    > Don't get me wrong; I actually like KFC chicken on (very rare) occasion.
    > But to me that commercial just screams out about what is wrong with families
    > having dinner these days.

    Heh. Not all families eat like that, thank ghu. We don't, for a start.

    Miche

    --
    WWMVD?

  4. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:45:09 +1200, Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Given the recent discussions about people eating fast food, yada, yada,
    >> yada... anyone see the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) commercial where the mom
    >> yells to the kids it's dinner time and they all rush out to get in the
    >> mini-van? She says something to her husband like, "Don't worry, they'll get
    >> used to eating at home".
    >>
    >> Don't get me wrong; I actually like KFC chicken on (very rare) occasion.
    >> But to me that commercial just screams out about what is wrong with families
    >> having dinner these days.

    >Heh. Not all families eat like that, thank ghu. We don't, for a start.
    >
    >Miche

    My guess is that the syndrome shown in that commercial is much more
    common in the US than elsewhere. But, having lived nowhere else, I
    can't say for sure.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  5. On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:32:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
    Wheeler?

    > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:45:09 +1200, Miche <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Given the recent discussions about people eating fast food, yada,
    >>> yada, yada... anyone see the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) commercial
    >>> where the mom yells to the kids it's dinner time and they all rush out
    >>> to get in the mini-van? She says something to her husband like,
    >>> "Don't worry, they'll get used to eating at home".
    >>>
    >>> Don't get me wrong; I actually like KFC chicken on (very rare)
    >>> occasion. But to me that commercial just screams out about what is
    >>> wrong with families having dinner these days.

    >>Heh. Not all families eat like that, thank ghu. We don't, for a start.
    >>
    >>Miche

    > My guess is that the syndrome shown in that commercial is much more
    > common in the US than elsewhere. But, having lived nowhere else, I
    > can't say for sure.

    I don't disagree, Denny, but what do all those people buying food in the
    supermarket do with it later?

    It seems that any place that sells food to go has lines queuing up
    practically out the door. On my way to work this morning I made an
    unplanned stop at Coffee Bean & Tea for a latté. There were exactly 43
    people ahead of me in line. What happened to all those commuter cups that
    people used to fill at home. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  6. George

    George Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > I don't disagree, Denny, but what do all those people buying food in the
    > supermarket do with it later?
    >
    > It seems that any place that sells food to go has lines queuing up
    > practically out the door. On my way to work this morning I made an
    > unplanned stop at Coffee Bean & Tea for a latté. There were exactly 43
    > people ahead of me in line. What happened to all those commuter cups that
    > people used to fill at home. :)

    Heard this lots of times: "I don't have the time to do anything..."
    Where people have to have 2 jobs to pay for all of the stuff they want
    which also requires that they buy everything premade or takeout (thus
    spending 3x on the food budget) because of this "lack of time". They
    need to stand back and see that they look just like that hamster inside
    a wheel...

  7. Wayne Boatwright wrote on 01 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > There were exactly 43
    > people ahead of me in line. What happened to all those commuter cups
    > that people used to fill at home. :)

    Only if I had a brain fart the night before and didn't set the coffee for
    brewing do I stop somewhere...I use my commuter cup Daily as if I don't
    need to stand in line I can sleep longer.

    --
    -Alan

  8. biig

    biig Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:32:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
    > Wheeler?
    >
    > > On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:45:09 +1200, Miche <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >>Heh. Not all families eat like that, thank ghu. We don't, for a start.
    > >>
    > >>Miche

    > > My guess is that the syndrome shown in that commercial is much more
    > > common in the US than elsewhere. But, having lived nowhere else, I
    > > can't say for sure.

    > I don't disagree, Denny, but what do all those people buying food in the
    > supermarket do with it later?
    >
    > It seems that any place that sells food to go has lines queuing up
    > practically out the door. On my way to work this morning I made an
    > unplanned stop at Coffee Bean & Tea for a latté. There were exactly 43
    > people ahead of me in line. What happened to all those commuter cups that
    > people used to fill at home. :)
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

    Lines at the take-out are one reason I didn't stop there on my way
    home from work even though I was bone tired. It took less time to cook
    something when I got home than it did to get to the head of the line.
    Two or three times a year we go to my sister's to look after her kids
    while she is away on a teacher's conference and the lines at the Tim
    Horton's are unbelievable in a small town that has two. We rarely leave
    home without my dh taking a full thermos. I don't drink coffee, so I
    take bottled water. We save a lot of money that way too.....Sharon

    > _____________________

  9. On Sat 01 Apr 2006 05:27:24a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
    Incognito?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote on 01 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> There were exactly 43
    >> people ahead of me in line. What happened to all those commuter cups
    >> that people used to fill at home. :)
    >>

    > Only if I had a brain fart the night before and didn't set the coffee for
    > brewing do I stop somewhere...I use my commuter cup Daily as if I don't
    > need to stand in line I can sleep longer.

    I don't really drink coffee anymore, but I do like to get an iced latté
    occasionally, perhaps once a month. I'd rather stop for it than try to make
    one at home, since I don't have the equipment for espresso, and I don't
    really want to invest in a good machine. I don't "do" fast food restaurants,
    and I loathe KFC chicken.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  10. On Sat 01 Apr 2006 07:38:22a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 02:32:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
    >> Wheeler?

    >> > My guess is that the syndrome shown in that commercial is much more
    >> > common in the US than elsewhere. But, having lived nowhere else, I
    >> > can't say for sure.

    >> I don't disagree, Denny, but what do all those people buying food in
    >> the supermarket do with it later?
    >>
    >> It seems that any place that sells food to go has lines queuing up
    >> practically out the door. On my way to work this morning I made an
    >> unplanned stop at Coffee Bean & Tea for a latté. There were exactly 43
    >> people ahead of me in line. What happened to all those commuter cups
    >> that people used to fill at home. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

    > Lines at the take-out are one reason I didn't stop there on my way
    > home from work even though I was bone tired. It took less time to cook
    > something when I got home than it did to get to the head of the line.
    > Two or three times a year we go to my sister's to look after her kids
    > while she is away on a teacher's conference and the lines at the Tim
    > Horton's are unbelievable in a small town that has two. We rarely leave
    > home without my dh taking a full thermos. I don't drink coffee, so I
    > take bottled water. We save a lot of money that way too.....Sharon

    I really needed a "kick" yesterday morning, or I wouldn't have stopped or
    waited. I usually drink bottled water throughout the day. Actually, I
    start out with a fresh bottle from home. My office has filtered, reverse
    osmosis water and I get several refills throughout the day. At home I
    drink iced tea. I'm not a fan of hot drinks except for the occasionally
    hot cocoa.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

  11. katikatt

    katikatt Guest

    A little pissy Alan?

  12. katikatt wrote on 03 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > A little pissy Alan?

    No, why do you ask?....I just hates KFC to the max.

    --
    -Alan