KFC question.

notbob <[email protected]> writes:

>At least there's a sliver. It would be impossible for BK to make
>their chicken fries "less" than a McD's chicken nugget. For the first
>couple decades of the Chicken McNugget, there was no chicken meat
>whatsoever. Seriously. I looked. My daughter loved them and we'd
>occasionally buy them for her. One day I was bored and started
>wondering about them. I disected half an order. No meat. They were
>just some sort of breaded and fried fat absorbing sponge matrix
>thingie.

Mostly chicken skin, if I recall, with some cartilage and filler.
What grossed me out the most was that McNuggets require an "anti foaming
agent" ingredient. I wish I could go back in time and uneat those
McNuggets I ate when I was a kid.

>This all-breading and little meat is not new.

One of the local Chinese restaurants has all breading and no meat in
half their pieces of sweet and sour and similar dishes. I'm sure it's
to save money. It's also really gross tasting. It's hard to find
non-battered and non-fried dishes around here, because it's Kansas, and
everything has to be either deep fried or steak.

>Sizzler was the master of these trick eat-till-you-puke gimmicks. They
>did another with all-you-can-eat ribs. We tried it ...again, once!

All you can eat meat is beyond imagination. There's a lot of steak
buffets here in Kansas and they just boggle my mind. I refuse to go to
them so I don't know if they're decent or not, but the simple idea of a
steak buffet makes me feel kind of ill.

>restaurants (chains), but I'm sure places like Olive Garden and Red
>Lobster still pull the same **** with their never ending gluttony
>promos.

I just said this on LJ but I never understood why Olive Garden and Red
Lobster are the two restaurants singled out for complaints. They're no
worse than any chain restaurant. I'm not saying I'm a big fan of chain
restaurants but I will occasionally go to an Olive Garden or Red
Lobster, as well as Ruby Tuesday's or Applebee's or Chili's or whatever.
Is it because OG and RL are sometimes thought of as high class
restaurants by people who don't know better?

Stacia

Pandora wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>Some italian people who have tasted KFC abroad, told me that in the KFC
>>>dough there are also cornflakes.
>>>Is it true? What do you think?
>>>Searching with Google, I have seen a photo on the web and pieces of
>>>chicken seam to have cornflakes over!

>>No corn flakes. KFC does chicken with two different coatings; what they
>>call "original" and " extra-crispy." They are only seasoned flour.
>>
>>Original-style has a thin coating. Extra crispy has a thicker coating that
>>forms shapes, when fried, that look like corn flakes have been added to
>>the coating.
>>
>>No corn flakes in the chicken coating.

> Thank you Bob. If you find a recipe for extra -crispy tell me, please.

The real KFC chicken recipes need to be cooked under pressure, not in an
open pot or deep fryer. Most pressure cooker makers say not to fry in
their cookers, but if you do, use no more than 1/4 or 1/2 cup of oil.
But here are some ways to approximate KFC extra-crispy.

<http://www.recipezaar.com/58948>
<http://www.recipezaar.com/4859>

Several more recipes for regular, not extra-crispy:
<http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m091902.htm>

Extra-crispy:
<http://www.russkatz.com/recipes/index.asp>

This is one way to do it at home, but I don't recommend it. I'm just
passing it along.
<http://www.themediadrome.com/content/recipes/chicken_broasted.htm>

Pastorio

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Pandora wrote:
>>> I don't know about KFC and the cornflakes but I used to make a very
>>> good "oven fried" chicken which is seasoned and then coated with
>>> crushed cornflake crumbs. It turns out as if it had been fried but
>>> is not.

>> This is a great new!
>>>
>>> Off the top of my head: the pieces of chicken (usually chicken
>>> breasts and thighs, on the bone) were dipped in an egg wash. Then
>>> rolled in cornflake crumbs seasoned with garlic powder, salt &
>>> pepper to taste, maybe some dried
>>> marjoram. Coat the chicken well and let sit so the coating dries and
>>> adheres to the chicken well.

>> Do you break cornflakes, or do you use them whole?

> In the U.S. they sell boxes of crushed cornflake crumbs specifically for
> baking with. If you can't find this, use a rolling pin and place
> cornflakes
> between two sheets of waxed paper and crush them. You don't want a powder
> but you don't want big pieces of corn flakes, either.

I understand!

>> Another thing. Why don't you put spices inside eggs, rather then in
>> cornflakes breadcrumb?
>>

> No reason; it's just the way my mom taught me to do it.

Ah! Ok! Mother's advices are always precious:)

>>> To a baking dish of adequate size for the chicken pieces, add a
>>> little cooking oil, about 3-4 Tablespoonfuls (not olive oil, too
>>> strong! canola or
>>> corn oil). Heat it up in a hot oven (about 400F degrees). Quickly
>>> arrange
>>> the chicken in the dish with the hot oil. Bake at a very high
>>> temperature;
>>> if I remember correctly (and I may not) it was 400F or maybe 425F for
>>> about
>>> 20 minutes. No need to cover or turn the chicken; it turned out
>>> crispy. And very tasty!

>> Gnam gnam! I like this recipe! I will eat KFC till summer because I
>> must try almost all :)))
>> Cheers and thank you
>> Pandora
>> (hoping your father stay better then the last time I have heard of
>> him)
>>>

> Thank you... we'll know more about his condition after his trip to the
> doctor on February 2nd.

The day after tomorrow, then! Let us know and good luck!
Thank you
Pandora

Thank you Bob, for these links, there are many recipe. But now I wonder if I
must use a skinless chicken for KFC!?!
What do you think?
Is the original KFC with or without skin?
TIA
Pandora

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Pandora wrote:

>> Thank you Bob. If you find a recipe for extra -crispy tell me, please.

> The real KFC chicken recipes need to be cooked under pressure, not in an
> open pot or deep fryer. Most pressure cooker makers say not to fry in
> their cookers, but if you do, use no more than 1/4 or 1/2 cup of oil. But
> here are some ways to approximate KFC extra-crispy.
>
> <http://www.recipezaar.com/58948>
> <http://www.recipezaar.com/4859>
>
> Several more recipes for regular, not extra-crispy:
> <http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m091902.htm>
>
> Extra-crispy:
> <http://www.russkatz.com/recipes/index.asp>
>
> This is one way to do it at home, but I don't recommend it. I'm just
> passing it along.
> <http://www.themediadrome.com/content/recipes/chicken_broasted.htm>
>
> Pastorio

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:01:07 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Glitter
Ninja) wrote:

> I just said this on LJ but I never understood why Olive Garden and Red
>Lobster are the two restaurants singled out for complaints. They're no
>worse than any chain restaurant. I'm not saying I'm a big fan of chain
>restaurants but I will occasionally go to an Olive Garden or Red
>Lobster, as well as Ruby Tuesday's or Applebee's or Chili's or whatever.
>Is it because OG and RL are sometimes thought of as high class
>restaurants by people who don't know better?

I believe they have common ownership--that may be why. Personally, I
think a LOT more highly of OG than of RL. Never been happy with what
I got at RL--I don't go there any more. Olive Garden's food has been,
imo, FAR better than Red Lobster's.
Obviously, of course, YMMV.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:21:55 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> KFC comes in (at least) two varieties: Original Recipe (cooked in the
>> pressure fryers) and Extra Crispy--that kind does rather look like it
>> has cornflake breading (and for all I know, it does). I don't think
>> the Extra Crispy is cooked the same way as Original Recipe--and I
>> don't think much of it at all, actually.

>Oh! It's a pity! this friend of mine told me he liked very much Extra
>Crispy.

A lot of people do. I don't much like it. I do like Original quite a
bit.

>BTW
>Thank you

You're most welcome, Pandora.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

On Tue 31 Jan 2006 03:25:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
Wheeler?

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:21:55 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>> KFC comes in (at least) two varieties: Original Recipe (cooked in the
>>> pressure fryers) and Extra Crispy--that kind does rather look like it
>>> has cornflake breading (and for all I know, it does). I don't think
>>> the Extra Crispy is cooked the same way as Original Recipe--and I
>>> don't think much of it at all, actually.

>>Oh! It's a pity! this friend of mine told me he liked very much Extra
>>Crispy.

> A lot of people do. I don't much like it. I do like Original quite a
> bit.
>
>>BTW
>>Thank you

> You're most welcome, Pandora.

Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting. But, then,
I've always had real southern fried chicken at home. There's absolutely no
comparison.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 03:25:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
> Wheeler?
>

> Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting. But, then,
> I've always had real southern fried chicken at home. There's absolutely

no
> comparison.
>
> --

Not only can you make fried chicken better at home, but the cost difference
is enough reason right there! We buy a whole chicken at WalMart for $.67 US
per pound, cut it up, fry it, and the entire breaded and fried chicken costs
us about $3.00. KFC would charge about $12 for that.

kili

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting. But, then,
> I've always had real southern fried chicken at home. There's absolutely
> no
> comparison.

To me it's one of those things I do not expect to be like what you
make at home, the texture is different (whether you like it or not),
hence all the discussion on broasters and pressure fryers, etc.

I love homemade fried chicken, of course, but I have room for
the occasional kentucky fried as well. Can't really make that at
home.

nancy

On Tue 31 Jan 2006 06:45:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy Young?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting. But, then,
>> I've always had real southern fried chicken at home. There's absolutely
>> no comparison.

> To me it's one of those things I do not expect to be like what you
> make at home, the texture is different (whether you like it or not),
> hence all the discussion on broasters and pressure fryers, etc.
>
> I love homemade fried chicken, of course, but I have room for
> the occasional kentucky fried as well. Can't really make that at
> home.

LOL! I wouldn't want to. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 06:45:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
> Young?

>> I love homemade fried chicken, of course, but I have room for
>> the occasional kentucky fried as well. Can't really make that at
>> home.

> LOL! I wouldn't want to. :)

(laugh!) YES, WAYNE, we got that! Was saying, when people
are looking for kentucky fried chicken, they aren't looking for
what you call fried chicken at home. Apples and oranges, whether
you think that is good or bad. We know, you think good. As
in, you don't want them to be alike.

nancy

On Tue 31 Jan 2006 07:37:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
Young?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
>> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 06:45:29a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
>> Young?

>>> I love homemade fried chicken, of course, but I have room for
>>> the occasional kentucky fried as well. Can't really make that at
>>> home.

>> LOL! I wouldn't want to. :)

> (laugh!) YES, WAYNE, we got that! Was saying, when people
> are looking for kentucky fried chicken, they aren't looking for
> what you call fried chicken at home. Apples and oranges, whether
> you think that is good or bad. We know, you think good. As
> in, you don't want them to be alike.

hehehe! Such a sad demise for a chicken. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 03:25:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Denny
> Wheeler?

>>>Oh! It's a pity! this friend of mine told me he liked very much Extra
>>>Crispy.

>> A lot of people do. I don't much like it. I do like Original quite a
>> bit.
>>
>>>BTW
>>>Thank you

>> You're most welcome, Pandora.
>>

> Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting. But, then,
> I've always had real southern fried chicken at home. There's absolutely
> no
> comparison.

I just wanted to ask what was the difference! Only pressure fryer?
Chhers
Pandora

Pandora wrote:
> Thank you Bob, for these links, there are many recipe. But now I wonder if I
> must use a skinless chicken for KFC!?!
> What do you think?
> Is the original KFC with or without skin?
> TIA

With skin. And the chicken used to be - I don't know if they still do it
- cut into 9 pieces rather than the normal 8. They cut the breast into
three pieces vertically so there were two "side breasts" and a "center
breast" that included the keel bone and a bit of meat on either side.

I cut mine into 8.

Pastorio

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> Thank you Bob, for these links, there are many recipe. But now I wonder
>> if I must use a skinless chicken for KFC!?!
>> What do you think?
>> Is the original KFC with or without skin?
>> TIA

> With skin. And the chicken used to be - I don't know if they still do it -
> cut into 9 pieces rather than the normal 8. They cut the breast into three
> pieces vertically so there were two "side breasts" and a "center breast"
> that included the keel bone and a bit of meat on either side.

Very interesting. Perhpas the number 9 give the recipe a sort of
magic...like the secret in which it is wrapped :)

> I cut mine into 8.

More simple..yes :)
Thank you Bob!
Pandora

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:21:55 +0100, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> > Oh! It's a pity! this friend of mine told me he liked very much
> > Extra Crispy.

> A lot of people do. I don't much like it. I do like Original quite a
> bit.

I've never been a big fan of KFC, either variety. When I get fried
chicken (and that's increasing rare these days) I go for Popeye's.

Brian
won't shut up.

On 2006-01-31, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting.

I have to agree. I never buy the stuff. I remember eating it
occasionally when friends would bring a bucket over, but never could
eat more than about one piece. I used to joke KFC was good for
motorcycles. I imagined wiring a chicken leg to the frame just above
the rear drive chain, the dripping grease keeping the chain well
lubed. My brother came up with a good approach to eating KFC. Take
the meat off the bone and stick it between one of the biscuits to soak
up the excess grease, then dose with black pepper and a good Louisiana
hot sauce.

nb

"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

I used to joke KFC was good for
> motorcycles. I imagined wiring a chicken leg to the frame just above
> the rear drive chain, the dripping grease keeping the chain well
> lubed. >
> nb

I suppose you've seen the TV stories about the guys traveling across the US
with just used-grease from the fast food place(s) for their vehicle. I
don't know if they get their free grease exclusively from one fast-food
restaurant or not.
Dee Dee

On 2006-01-31, Dee Randall <[email protected]> wrote:

> don't know if they get their free grease exclusively from one fast-food
> restaurant or not.

I don't know. It's my understanding deep fryer fat is a waste
product that's a real pain for any restaurant using it. I think they
have to pay for its disposal. I could be wrong on this.

nb

Excuse me the English question. Why, sometimes, do you write "fried" and why
do you write sometimes "fryer" when there is a consonant before the "Y"?
Sorry if I would like to understand :)
cheers
Pandora

news:[email protected]...