KH Gel Seat

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by zach_jucha, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Lutz

    Lutz Guest

  2. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    jagur wrote:
    > *did you call them? is that what they said or somthing?
    >
    > its built the same as a kh seat except for the lower profile. *

    When I emailed them about the seat, They said: "We just got some sample
    gel saddles, and frankly we're not impressed.
    We're ordering some anyway, for deliver in the Springtime."

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,
    Chrashing
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  3. monociclos

    monociclos Guest

    Hi!

    I dont think that the point is just the gel, the big thing is that the
    shape is perfect, it is a mix between miyata and KH.

    I dont like the big KH saddles, I find them just too big. I have lots
    of unis with differents models of saddles, viscount, miyata, air
    saddles, kh and I like that one a lot.

    Ive been riding with the gel saddle for a week, so i can tell you more
    yet. You can see more details here: http://www.koxx-one.com/selles.php
    and you can buy them here http://tinyurl.com/48ub9

    The think I like more is the height, there is less saddle surface
    touching the inner part of the leg while pedaling. It is also great for
    seat out hopping, you can catch the saddle better.

    A great alternative is the other thin model with standard padding, is
    like a miyata.

    The only thing I would change is the rear bumper, i like more the miyata
    style, it is better for drag seat tricks.

    Thats my little review.

    --
    monociclos - Doin` trials

    www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish
    monociclos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4100

  4. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    Hello monociclos,
    Thank you for the info. Your beginning to convince me that the KOXX seat
    shape is what I'm looking for.

    What do you think of the gel? Does the gel improve the seat, or would
    the lower profile foam seat possibly be as good?

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,
    Chrashing
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  5. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    I got my Koxx one seat and I like it. One thing though, it doesn't feel
    like gel, It feels like dense foam. I wonder if I paid for a gel and
    got a foam seat. The pictures I've seen of each of them look identical.
    The only difference I could see is about $10 euros.

    I like the longer grip in the front of the seat and I don't miss the
    thicker foam of the KH design.

    Anyone know how to tell the difference between the koxx-one gel and
    koxx-one non-gel seat?

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,
    Chrashing
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

  6. monociclos

    monociclos Guest

    Hi Tomsey!

    Are you testing a new model of kh seat? Any new brand ok a just a new kh
    with lower profile??

    I agree with you, the stregth is very important actually Im riding with
    a viscount air ( 1 layer pillow ) saddle with fusion cover and kh
    handle.

    I think is the best convination money - strength - confort.

    | Attachment filename: 500img_3012.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/278203|

    monociclos - Doin` trials

    www.monociclos.com Unicycle related stuff in Spanish
    monociclos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4100

  7. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

    its not a KH...

    its the exact same Velo however...

    not fusioned, and about 30/35mm thick, with the new grips...

    i do a lot of falling off.... and in this day and age.... usually
    without feet on pedals. so seats are needing to get stronger

    i just think... if i can get a carbon fibre base plate (or something
    very hard for a stiffener), low profile foam, that comfy grip and
    possibly something high tensile for a seat post, ill have no worries at
    all... just gotta let my ankles heal for a little while

    why arent these seats mass produced for elite street unicycles...
    like the bedford hardcore, or any new and upcoming streetstyle
    unicycles.

    i dont think you could complain about that seat... other than it hurts
    more when you smash your nuts on it because it doesnt bend....

    someone make one and ill buy it

    --
    tomsey - hardcore unicyclist

    www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net
    tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

  8. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    tomsey wrote:
    > *its not a KH...
    >
    > i just think... if i can get a carbon fibre base plate (or something
    > very hard for a stiffener), low profile foam, that comfy grip and
    > possibly something high tensile for a seat post, ill have no worries
    > at all... just gotta let my ankles heal for a little while
    > *

    Bedford sells a CF KH base. If you were to get that, a Reeder handle,
    cut down KH foam, Fusion cover, rear bumper, rail adapter, and alloy
    bike post, you'd have a light weight, strong seat and post solution.

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  9. monociclos

    monociclos Guest

  10. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

  11. smdO2

    smdO2 Guest

    So UDC has jumped on the band wagon, and also produced a Velo Gel
    Saddle, 'Check it out' (http://tinyurl.com/8dg4v)

    also available from 'municycle.com' (http://tinyurl.com/bv6m2)

    | Attachment filename: big_sa1055_einrad_sattel_gel[1].jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/313834|

    smdO2 - Only One But Fun
    smdO2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7369

  12. jagur

    jagur Guest

    so everyone has them now except unicycle.com..bummer

    if you go back in this thread you will read that UDC was contacted and
    said they "were not impressed" by them. hopefully that will change soon.

    --
    jagur - young gas bag

    smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  13. smdO2 wrote:
    > *So UDC has jumped on the band wagon, and also produced a Velo Gel
    > Saddle, *

    Just for the records, it was me who designed, specified and commisioned
    Velo over a year ago to produce the narrower gel saddle. It was not take
    up immediately because of other developments on our plate. Because we
    were slow at taking production up they offered the design to everyone
    else.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  14. smdO2

    smdO2 Guest

    rogeratunicycledotcom wrote:
    > *Just for the records, it was me who designed, specified and
    > commisioned Velo over a year ago to produce the narrower gel saddle.
    > It was not take up immediately because of other developments on our
    > plate. Because we were slow at taking production up they offered the
    > design to everyone else.
    >
    > Roger *

    Sorry Roger, I just assumed Koxx1 designed the gel saddle coz theirs
    came out first.

    Why are the UDC ones cheaper, did you get some sort of a discount for
    designing them, or are they made of a differant material.

    --
    smdO2 - Only One But Fun
    smdO2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7369

  15. The price difference.... I can only guess that it is the branding you
    are paying for. We don't get any additional discount, although we do
    buy quite a lot at a time.

    As for quality and materials. The UDC should be stronger than the Koxx
    due to it having the newer base and it also has the kevlar material on
    the top so it should be more durable (in manufacturing terms this costs
    more).

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  16. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  17. monociclos

    monociclos Guest

    Hi Roger!

    Can you tell us a little bit more about the base improvements??

    For sure this will be the saddle of the year!!

    I would like to see a saddle like that with a complete keblar surface
    arround the saddle not just on the top.

    Thanks!

    Pepe, Monociclos.Com

    --

  18. monociclos wrote:
    > *
    > Can you tell us a little bit more about the base improvements??
    > *

    It is something that Kris instigated along with Velo the manufacturer.
    The base has some additional infill on the inside just in front of the
    seatpost. This has always been the point of weakness in the seats. The
    plastic does not offer much stength in itself but it allows the
    reinforcing to not have the kink in it so making it a lot stronger.
    This will be filtering through to all the seats in time.

    FOR SURE THIS WILL BE THE SADDLE OF THE YEAR!!

    Things are moving forward all the time. The KH saddle with Kris doing a
    lot of the developments is improving all the time.

    I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A SADDLE LIKE THAT WITH A COMPLETE KEBLAR SURFACE
    ARROUND THE SADDLE NOT JUST ON THE RED PART. AND ALSO A MODEL ALVAILABLE
    WITHOUT THE UNICYCLE.COM LOGO ; )

    This would make a very expensive saddle indeed, it would probably double
    the cost of the saddle. The Kevlar is stupildy expensive! If you want
    durable then look at the leather covers, these are the most durable
    covers... but you must not allow them to get too wet or dried out with
    heat or they fail. I have one that is used almost every day and is
    almost perfect after over 10 years.

    Regards

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

  19. Chrashing

    Chrashing Guest

    What I like about the gel seat is that the padding you sit on is not as
    thick as the standard KH seat. With the std KH seat, I had the problem
    where as the seat contoured to my body I would sink to deep enough that
    'my boys' were getting pressed by the foam. That is with bike shorts.
    The thinner padding of the Gel seat helps 'my boys' ride above the
    padding with less pressure.

    I've been using the koxx-gel seat nearly every day for 2-3 months now,
    20 to 90 minutes at a time. I've worn out a knobby tire, and the seat
    still looks and feels like new. I'll try UDC version when I need another
    gel.

    --
    Chrashing - Just Lucky

    Regards,