Khannouchi Out, There Goes U.S. Gold....

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > Yes, the IAAF convened at the end of last month and changed the qualifying limits. In marathon
> > the bar was lowered quite a bit:

> > Men: A 2:12:00 - 2:15:00 B 2:14:30 - 2:18:00 Women: A 2:32:00 - 2:37:00 B 2:36:00 - 2:42:00

> What happens if you run less than 2:12? [JK--I assume that the cutoff for A will be set at some
> sepcific point in that range.]

I must take the responsibility for this misunderstanding, I served a very possible misinterpretation
on a plate:)

You were *supposed* to read it as "Men´s A-limit was lowered from 2:12 to 2:15 etc"; I *should´ve*
typed "--->"...

Anders (who dreams about qualifying as a female runner)

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> ---The US uses a "reward the winner" system. This means that if you win the Trials, you
> automatically go to the Olympics. If you are over the Olympic A standard at the Trials however
> (like DeHaven in 2000), you are the ONLY person who gets to go.

This would probably be unimaginable in most other countries(1).

And since my picture of the U.S. derives largely from TV series and small news items - such as the
old lady, the coffee mug and a hamburger restaurant - I´d have thought that in 2000 the runners
who´d run under the A-limit would´ve sued the OC:)

(1) In javelin throwing - a sport in which 4-10 Finns make the A-limit in most years - it has
happened that the nat´l champ has been "left outside the plane"; only when the *athletes
themselves* have agreed upon a "the champ gets to go"-system, it has followed the U.S. wau
(albeit without the above quandary.)

Anders

Anders Lustig wrote:

> Anders (who dreams about qualifying as a female runner)

A long time back I asked this question of someone close to the

win money as a woman. Their reply then and I have not looked to see if it has changed, "we'll worry
about that later." Could raise some very interesting dialog.

--
Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Anders Lustig) wrote:

> Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<no_one_knows-
> [email protected]>...
>
> > > Yes, the IAAF convened at the end of last month and changed the qualifying limits. In marathon
> > > the bar was lowered quite a bit:
>
> > > Men: A 2:12:00 - 2:15:00 B 2:14:30 - 2:18:00 Women: A 2:32:00 - 2:37:00 B 2:36:00 - 2:42:00
>
>
> > What happens if you run less than 2:12? [JK--I assume that the cutoff for A will be set at some
> > sepcific point in that range.]
>
>
> I must take the responsibility for this misunderstanding, I served a very possible
> misinterpretation on a plate:)
>
> You were *supposed* to read it as "Men´s A-limit was lowered from 2:12 to 2:15 etc"; I *should´ve*
> typed "--->"...
>

Thanks for clearing that up.

>
> Anders (who dreams about qualifying as a female runner)

I'm not sure the surgery would be worth it.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

>A long time back I asked this question of someone close to the

>win money as a woman. Their reply then and I have not looked to see if it has changed, "we'll worry
>about that later." Could raise some very interesting dialog.

I think a lot of these issues have been gone over before; Richard Raskind/Renee Richards raised some
hackles when she competed in

think it was, and that sport at least may have written some regulations in the meantime.

sure that athletes competing as women were GGs, or "genetic girls", as one friend of mine puts it.
So there'd be good reason, for the Oly Trials at least, not to allow a TS runner to compete as a
woman since she'd be DQ'd at the big show.

--
Brian P. Baresch Fort Worth, Texas, USA Professional editing and proofreading

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Harold Buck wrote:

>>Anders (who dreams about qualifying as a female runner)
>
>
> I'm not sure the surgery would be worth it.

Maybe the loss or four or five pounds and added aerodynamics might be the exact change needed.
Anders, go for it! ;)

--

Brian Baresch wrote:

> sure that athletes competing as women were GGs, or "genetic girls", as one friend of mine puts it.
> So there'd be good reason, for the Oly Trials at least, not to allow a TS runner to compete as a
> woman since she'd be DQ'd at the big show.

And I can see the ACLU taking the discrimination position....

--

In article <[email protected]>,
Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> Harold Buck wrote:
>
>
> >>Anders (who dreams about qualifying as a female runner)
> >
> >
> > I'm not sure the surgery would be worth it.
>
> Maybe the loss or four or five pounds and added aerodynamics might be the exact change needed.
> Anders, go for it! ;)
>

If that surgery is going to make you LOSE 4 or 5 pounds, despite the addition of breasts, you should
change your name to John Holmes II and begin a lucrative career in adult films!

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

Harold Buck wrote:

> If that surgery is going to make you LOSE 4 or 5 pounds, despite the addition of breasts, you
> should change your name to John Holmes II and begin a lucrative career in adult films!

Hmm, Anders "Johnny Wad II" has a ring and reads well on a singlet. Skip the operation, skip the
Olympics and go for the film career. You'll make more money than the Kenyans. If you need an agent
I'm available.

--

An issue is the promoters want assurances that the winner goes; otherwise
one could get the case where the winner does not go which does not make it
much of an Olympic Trials. It is consistent with the oter USATF rules.
Not that I do not think there is a better way, but I also do not want a
selection procedure that requires the vote of a committee.
"Andrew Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Harold Buck
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Could you please explain what you mean by this? I'm not familiar with the selection rules.
>
> A nation can send up to 3 athletes to the Olympic Marathon if they've all met the Olympic A
> standard during the qualifying period or one athlete who has met the B standard.
>
> The US automatically selects the winner of the trials marathon. If this winner has only met B
> standard this precludes the US sending other athletes.
>
> Andrew Taylor