KHS Flite 500 opinions for an old(er) fart

sartybones

Apr 30, 2010
Hi everyone,

52 years young and I'm soon going to be getting back into road cycling after being away from it for some 25 years. Right now I ride a 16 year old Peugeot hybrid for in town but have the bug real bad to get back out on the country roads.

This past weekend I stopped at several of the LBS's to check out their wares and get a feel for their dealer service. The KHS dealer, who are good people and I buy most of my parts from has a Flite 500 and he let me take it out for a spin. It took me a bit to get used to the Microshift shifters but once I got the hang I just wanted to keep going. I was pretty impressed by the bikes overall feel, handling and ride. The price is also right. I did not know that KHS built road bikes though I have seen their MTB's. The dealer of course spoke very highly of KHS road bikes and the Canadian operation of KHS. He said they really stand behind their product.

I went to the other three dealers in town. The biggest one (Giant/Specialized) wouldn't really give me the time of day once he realized that I wasn't buying right, then and there. The Trek dealer was good but didn't have the 1.5 in stock (but could order me one). The last dealer let me take a Jamis Ventura Comp out but I did not care for the feel or the price (for what you got).

Enough rambling... from the limited information I could find on the net, KHS seems pretty good. Anyone have or know of someone with a Flite 500 that could either give me the warm and fuzzy or tell me to put the brakes on?

Cheers!

Welcome aboard. What year is this KHS model you're looking at?

I have a 2000 Flite 300 I bought used from someone on Craigslist, it rides great. No problems with it other than minor routine stuff.

Thanks for the welcome. The bike is a brand new 2010 model.

What kind of concerned me about the bike was the Microshift shifters and derailleurs. I've since done some research and it looks like quite a few experienced riders are quite happy with Microshift. I really like the STI style of shifter; never used them before of course since it had been so long since being on a road bike.