KHS / Ventana

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I always placed KHS into the "bikes that suck" category...hell, a trip to their website even
    classifies DH bikes as EXTREME (http://www.khsbicycles.com/page3.html) and I can't support that in
    good conscience.

    However, on the home page (http://www.khsbicycles.com/index.html) I see they are now tied into
    Ventana...what the hell? Did they buy them out (or off) or are they just sharing distribution?

    I remember a certain opinionated poster informing all of us that Ventana was one of the few
    companies that did it right, a category I don't place KHS in. So, what is Ventana's status? Were
    they bought out (bad) or are they just using KHS' much bigger distro system (good, assuming quality
    levels stay high)?

    In the future, there will be two bike companies...one will sell at -Marts for $150, the other will
    make custom scandium-ti-carbon jobs that, once built up, are worth more than automobiles.

    Chris (am probably buying a KHS road bike, though, cuz my LBS friends will give me one cheap, and
    it's just a damn road bike)

    Tags:

  2. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    > I always placed KHS into the "bikes that suck" category...hell, a trip to their website even
    > classifies DH bikes as EXTREME (http://www.khsbicycles.com/page3.html) and I can't support that in
    > good conscience.
    >
    > However, on the home page (http://www.khsbicycles.com/index.html) I see
    they
    > are now tied into Ventana...what the hell? Did they buy them out (or off) or are they just sharing
    > distribution?
    >
    > I remember a certain opinionated poster informing all of us that Ventana
    was
    > one of the few companies that did it right, a category I don't place KHS
    in.
    > So, what is Ventana's status? Were they bought out (bad) or are they just using KHS' much bigger
    > distro system (good, assuming quality levels stay high)?
    >
    > In the future, there will be two bike companies...one will sell at -Marts for $150, the other will
    > make custom scandium-ti-carbon jobs that, once built up, are worth more than automobiles.
    >
    > Chris (am probably buying a KHS road bike, though, cuz my LBS friends will give
    me
    > one cheap, and it's just a damn road bike)

    Chris,

    What is it about KHS that puts them in the bikes that suck category?

    Lance

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > I always placed KHS into the "bikes that suck" category...hell, a trip to their website even
    > classifies DH bikes as EXTREME (http://www.khsbicycles.com/page3.html) and I can't support that in
    > good conscience.
    >
    > However, on the home page (http://www.khsbicycles.com/index.html) I see
    they
    > are now tied into Ventana...what the hell? Did they buy them out (or off) or are they just sharing
    > distribution?
    >
    > I remember a certain opinionated poster informing all of us that Ventana
    was
    > one of the few companies that did it right, a category I don't place KHS
    in.
    > So, what is Ventana's status? Were they bought out (bad) or are they just using KHS' much bigger
    > distro system (good, assuming quality levels stay high)?
    >
    > In the future, there will be two bike companies...one will sell at -Marts for $150, the other will
    > make custom scandium-ti-carbon jobs that, once built up, are worth more than automobiles.
    >
    > Chris (am probably buying a KHS road bike, though, cuz my LBS friends will give
    me
    > one cheap, and it's just a damn road bike)

    This was already discussed in the thread " Ventana makes nice bikes".

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "L Hays" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is it about KHS that puts them in the bikes that suck category?

    I rode one for years and beat the crap out of it, never had any problems with it. Finally had to get
    rid of it when I blew out the rear shock and couldn't find a replacement for the size that was
    necessary.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > This was already discussed in the thread " Ventana makes nice bikes".
    >
    > - CA-G

    Discussed, but not answered. Other than finding out that "it seems KHS has been distributing Ventana
    for some time" there is no real information.

    Chris

  6. Gary In Va

    Gary In Va Guest

    > > This was already discussed in the thread " Ventana makes nice bikes".
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    >
    > Discussed, but not answered. Other than finding out that "it seems KHS
    has
    > been distributing Ventana for some time" there is no real information.
    >
    > Chris

    Ventana is using KHS as a distributor. Neither of them own any part of the other.

    Gary in VA (happy with his Ventana)

  7. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    I think KHS are alright......

    My mates got a 2001 FXT, and it seems pretty solid, not heavy, can take a bit of thrashing. Hydro
    brakes sucked, but the distributor in Oz upgraded all of them to Grimeca system 8s for free... Now
    it is an even nicer ride...

    thinking of getting one myself

    > I always placed KHS into the "bikes that suck" category...hell, a trip to their website even
    > classifies DH bikes as EXTREME (http://www.khsbicycles.com/page3.html) and I can't support that in
    > good conscience.
    >
    > However, on the home page (http://www.khsbicycles.com/index.html) I see
    they
    > are now tied into Ventana...what the hell? Did they buy them out (or off) or are they just sharing
    > distribution?
    >
    > I remember a certain opinionated poster informing all of us that Ventana
    was
    > one of the few companies that did it right, a category I don't place KHS
    in.
    > So, what is Ventana's status? Were they bought out (bad) or are they just using KHS' much bigger
    > distro system (good, assuming quality levels stay high)?
    >
    > In the future, there will be two bike companies...one will sell at -Marts for $150, the other will
    > make custom scandium-ti-carbon jobs that, once built up, are worth more than automobiles.
    >
    > Chris (am probably buying a KHS road bike, though, cuz my LBS friends will give
    me
    > one cheap, and it's just a damn road bike)

  8. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    "Gary in VA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > This was already discussed in the thread " Ventana makes nice bikes".
    > > >
    > > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Discussed, but not answered. Other than finding out that "it seems KHS
    > has
    > > been distributing Ventana for some time" there is no real information.
    > >
    > > Chris
    >
    > Ventana is using KHS as a distributor. Neither of them own any part of the other.
    >
    > Gary in VA (happy with his Ventana)

    Lots of bike shops have access to the KHS catalogs and can purchase through LHS ditributors. This
    gives Ventana a way to increase the availability of their bikes without having to contact hundreds
    of bike shops. I'm certain KHS gets a piece of each sale but I don't think there is much more to it
    than that. Sherwood still owns/ runs the place and if you buy a Ventana bike you can be certain it's
    the same quality.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  9. Carla A-G wrote:

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I always placed KHS into the "bikes that suck" category...hell, a trip to their website even
    > > classifies DH bikes as EXTREME (http://www.khsbicycles.com/page3.html) and I can't support that
    > > in good conscience.
    > >
    > > However, on the home page (http://www.khsbicycles.com/index.html) I see
    > they
    > > are now tied into Ventana...what the hell? Did they buy them out (or off) or are they just
    > > sharing distribution?
    > >
    > > I remember a certain opinionated poster informing all of us that Ventana
    > was
    > > one of the few companies that did it right, a category I don't place KHS
    > in.
    > > So, what is Ventana's status? Were they bought out (bad) or are they just using KHS' much bigger
    > > distro system (good, assuming quality levels stay high)?
    > >
    > > In the future, there will be two bike companies...one will sell at -Marts for $150, the other
    > > will make custom scandium-ti-carbon jobs that, once built up, are worth more than automobiles.
    > >
    > > Chris (am probably buying a KHS road bike, though, cuz my LBS friends will give
    > me
    > > one cheap, and it's just a damn road bike)
    >
    > This was already discussed in the thread " Ventana makes nice bikes".
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Yes they do, but there aren't enough single ones of them that ride for all the horny male canadian
    mountain bikers.

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Kristan Roberge wrote:
    > Carla A-G wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> I always placed KHS into the "bikes that suck" category...hell, a trip to their website even
    >>> classifies DH bikes as EXTREME (http://www.khsbicycles.com/page3.html) and I can't support that
    >>> in good conscience.
    >>>
    >>> However, on the home page (http://www.khsbicycles.com/index.html) I see they are now tied into
    >>> Ventana...what the hell? Did they buy them out (or off) or are they just sharing distribution?
    >>>
    >>> I remember a certain opinionated poster informing all of us that Ventana was one of the few
    >>> companies that did it right, a category I don't place KHS in. So, what is Ventana's status? Were
    >>> they bought out (bad) or are they just using KHS' much bigger distro system (good, assuming
    >>> quality levels stay high)?
    >>>
    >>> In the future, there will be two bike companies...one will sell at -Marts for $150, the other
    >>> will make custom scandium-ti-carbon jobs that, once built up, are worth more than automobiles.
    >>>
    >>> Chris (am probably buying a KHS road bike, though, cuz my LBS friends will give me one cheap,
    >>> and it's just a damn road bike)
    >>
    >> This was already discussed in the thread " Ventana makes nice bikes".
    >>
    >> - CA-G
    >>
    >> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
    >
    > Yes they do, but there aren't enough single ones of them that ride for all the horny male canadian
    > mountain bikers.

    if they all announce their horniness like you do, it's no wonder you can't find any.

    1ยข

  11. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Kristan Roberge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yes they do, but there aren't enough single ones of them that ride for all
    the
    > horny male canadian mountain bikers.

    Maybe you're looking in all the wrong places...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!