KHS vs Raligh Tandem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kevin Lutz, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Kevin Lutz

    Kevin Lutz Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C2F601.2825A0B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    I'm looking for a lower priced alunium tandem bicycle. I'm considering = the Raligh Coupe or the KHS
    Alite. There is about a $500 price = difference, but I don't notice that much difference in the
    components. = I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the price and quality = difference
    of these two bikes.

    Thanks ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C2F601.2825A0B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm looking for a lower priced alunium = tandem=20 bicycle.
    I'm considering the Raligh Coupe or the KHS = Alite. =20 There is about a $500 price
    difference, but I don't notice that much = difference=20 in the components. I was
    wondering if anyone could shed some light = on the=20 price and quality difference of these two
    bikes.</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C2F601.2825A0B0--

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    "Kevin Lutz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm looking for a lower priced alunium tandem bicycle. I'm considering the Raligh Coupe or the KHS
    > Alite. There is about a $500 price difference, but I don't notice that much difference in the
    > components. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the price and quality difference of
    > these two bikes.

    Kevin, I was interested in the comparison of a couple of lower-end tandems, so I Googled around a
    bit and came up with the information below.

    There really isn't anything importantly different in the spec of these two bikes, so fit should be
    your primary concern, and the dealer's ability to provide decent assembly and after the sale
    service. Most bikes like this are going to be far more satisfactory if the dealer does not merely
    lift them out of the box and bolt them together, but takes the time to add greas to the hubs, oil
    the cables, and tighten, true and stress-relieve the wheels.

    I notice that the KHS offers only one size, and the Raleigh two. Even if you want only to roll
    around a park on a Sunday afternoon, you and your stoker will get a lot more out of the bike if it
    fits you well.

    The KHS doesn't specify whether it has a replaceable rear derailer hanger. Either the dealer or
    KHS can answer that one for you, but for an AL frame that is a deal-breaker if it is not
    replaceable, IMHO.

    2003 KHS Tandemania Alite Frame: 7005 Aluminum 27 Speed Fork: Oversized Chromoly Unicrown Headset:
    Tioga DX2 Aheadset, 1-1/8" Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite 40 hole Front Hub: Alloy QR Rear Hub: Shimano XT
    145mm Double threaded Tandem QR Tires: KHS Dirt Slick, 26"x1.75" Spokes: Stainless Steel, 14 gauge
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shifters: Shimano LX Chain: KMC Z-9000
    Bottom Bracket:Crankset: Sugino RD-5000T, 52/42/30t Bottom Bracket: TH 7418, Cartridge Cassette:
    Shimano Deore 9 speed, 11-34t Pedals: VP, Alloy Captain's Seat Post: Kalloy SP 267 Stoker's Seat
    Post: Post Modern Suspension Saddles: Velo 3011 Handlebar: Kore, Alloy Captain's Stem: Aheadset,
    Alloy Stoker's Stem: Adjustable Alloy Brake Levers: Powertools Linear Pull Brakes: Shimano LX
    v-brakes Colour(s): Blue/Titanium Sizes: 20"x16" Weight: 38.5lbs

    Raleigh Coupe Tandem frame with disc brake mounts and a replaceable derailleur hanger 40 spoke Alex
    double wall wheels. 27 Speed Shimano Drivetrain WTB Speed-V & Speed-She Saddle TruVativ Tandem Firex
    Crankset with Timing Avenir Comfort Grips, WTB Captain Speed-VStoker Speed-She Saddles Sizes
    18.5/16", 20.5/18" Colors Kingston Blue/Silver Frame 7005 Aluminum Fork Mtn Tandem Chromoly Headset
    Cane Creek Zero Stack Crankset TruVativ Fires Tandem 38t Timing 28/38/48t
    F. Derailleur Shimano Deore
    G. Derailleur Shimano LX Shift Lever Shimano Deore Cog Set Shimano Cassette 11/32t 9spd
    Weight 42 lbs.

    Hope that helps,

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. Kevin Lutz

    Kevin Lutz Guest

    Ted,

    Thanks for the information. I live in the Chicago area, so there are plenty of dealers. I have
    found several that carry the Raleigh, but only one that carries the KHS. Unfortunately, the dealer
    that carries KHS only buys tandems on rare occasions. The dealer that sells Raleigh is one of
    Chicago's largest tandem dealers. As a result, I'm more inclined to go with the Raleigh for the
    dealer support.

    Kevin

    news:[email protected]...