kick-butt Chicken Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by -L., Aug 25, 2005.

  1. -L.

    -L. Guest

    What is your favorite chicken soup recipe?

    I make mine at least once a month, usually more than that. It's
    simple, and like most chicken soups, gets better in the pot after a
    couple days.

    ***paste**

    Roasted Chicken Soup

    Clean and roast one whole chicken:

    1. remove organs and neck
    2. Wash well with cool water, pat dry
    3. sprinkle with garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder and chili
    powder and rub well into the skin
    4. rub skin with vegetable oil
    5. place in a oiled roasting pan, breast-side up, on a bed of chopped
    onions. (Add neck and gizzard to pan, to help flavor broth.)
    6. add about an inch of water the bottom of the pan
    7. roast at 375 degrees, uncovered until done (approximately 1.5 hours
    for a 5-6 lb chicken), basting every 15 minute during the last 45
    minutes of cooking.
    8. remove from oven, cool, and save broth for soup
    9. remove chicken from bones, set aside

    [We usually eat part of the chicken for one meal and use the remainder
    for the soup.]

    To make soup:

    chop 1-2 large sweet onions (large pieces, about 0.75 inch square)
    peel and slice 6-8 large carrots
    peel and chunk 6-8 medium potatoes, any variety
    clean and chop 1 lb mushrooms - crimini, white or portobello

    In a skillet, sautee onion in 2T butter or margerine over low heat
    until it starts to brown (carmalize). Remove and set aside. Add
    another dab of butter to skillet and brown mushrooms. Set aside.

    In a large stock pot (or crock pot), add carmamlized onion, mushrooms,
    carrots,
    and potatoes, 16 oz. chicken broth/stock (I use Pacific brand
    low-sodium or homemade), and reserved broth from roasted chicken.
    Stock should
    cover the vegetables - may need an additional 8-16 oz. broth

    Add approx 1-2t garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh pressed garlic
    1t onion powder
    2T chopped fresh parsely
    ground black pepper to taste
    small pinch dried thyme
    1T granulated chicken boullion
    (may need more of all seasonings listed - I do it to taste)

    Simmer uncovered on low until veggies are semi-soft (1.5-2 hours), add
    chicken, and simmer an additional hour or more. Can be done overnight
    in crock pot - add chicken the next day.

    ***end paste**

    -L.

    Tags:

  2. rmg

    rmg Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is your favorite chicken soup recipe?
    >
    > I make mine at least once a month, usually more than that. It's
    > simple, and like most chicken soups, gets better in the pot after a
    > couple days.

    "Butt" and "Soup" sound gross in the same phrase :p

    Sorry I don't have proportions for this...

    1 raw chicken
    water to cover
    lotsa ginger
    green onion
    1 yellow onion
    2 tbsp fish sauce
    pepper corns
    napa cabbage if you like

    simmer simmer simmmer

    remove chix

    strain broth

    refrigerate broth if desired, so fat congeals and can be peeled off and
    tossed

    utilize