Kickstands

jutabraonl

Jul 9, 2015
I'm in the market for a good double leg kickstand but I'm unsure of what to get. The Esge/SKS has always been a good one but it's pricey! ($36.00+) The M-Wave (and other brands) look good and are cheaper but I am unsure if they hold up in the long run. Are any of these brands of kickstands better or worse then the Esge/SKS?

I would actually pay that amount for a good quality kickstand, because you are 100% sure that it's worth buying, maybe try saying those 40$ dollars?

ALWAYS do diligence before purchasing anything in relation to your bike(s). That's just me. My process is reading reviews, speaking with other cyclists, etc. Then make a decision and pull the trigger on whatever's being purchased.

I've got accessories and components that have lasted WELL beyond what I thought they would. Dual-sided Shimano spd pedals purchased in '96 still in use w/one re-lube. Quality. Expensive isn't the benchmark. Time of functional use. Calculated risk. Those are my own personal criteria.

For kickstands, I would say that paying a few extra dollars never hurts as long as you wind up with a high-quality kickstand that's not going to break anytime soon. You can find durable kickstands at lower price points, but I've noticed that $30 to $50 seems to be the sweet spot. It's a smart long-term investment that doesn't seem so costly over time, assuming it doesn't break or experience any problems.

The Amazon buyer reviews are what usually decides me in any purchase.

I personally would rather not use a kickstand because of the extra weight I would have to pedal around. Those ounces -- they add up to pedaling effort. To date I've always been able to find a fence, a bike parking stand, or a wall of some sort to lean my bike against. I've had one bike spill when I used too loose a locking cable to lock the bike to a fence, and the wind toppled the bike over, still locked to the fence. The bike landed on its left side -- not on the "driveline side". I got lucky there. I still don't think the weight of a kickstand is justified.

Thanks

Bob

It's worth spending a little more I think. If you commute to lots of places where it isn't always easy, or sometimes impossible, to balance your bike without a kickstand, you'll want to make sure you have one that won't break and leave you stuck in a hugely inconvenient situation.

Froze said:
In 54 years of riding, counting since I started as a kid, I never had the need for a kickstand.
Most good bikes don't come with a kickstand for a good reason, they are useless.
Not only do they add extra weight but they are a safety hazard.