Kid Bent?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by 98gtw, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    I'm beginning the search for a bent appropriate for my 7-year-old daughter. I had considered
    building one, even bought an acetylene torch, but I know that's not in the cards. Saw the Quetzals
    on ebay, and that's one option.

    Any ideas?

    TIA
    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

    Tags:

  2. Go with the Quetzal, they are uncomplicated and parts are available...low cost too. No real downside
    I can think of. Nirvana Kiddie bents too are a good choice.
    "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm beginning the search for a bent appropriate for my 7-year-old
    daughter.
    > I had considered building one, even bought an acetylene torch, but I know that's not in the cards.
    > Saw the Quetzals on ebay, and that's one option.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

  3. I'm building one right now : http://www.scheel.net/hpv.dk/juniorliggecykel.asp

    I can translate the text if you would like it, and will add pictures of seat and the progress of the
    frame (the frame is almost finished) I'm basing the design on this description (PDF) :
    http://www.hpvklub.dk/pdf/ChildRecumbentBike.pdf (it has to be modified to fit a 6-7 yo)

    If i had the tools and skill i would build this :
    http://home.hccnet.nl/Mark.Maier/recumbents.html#kiddicane

    More inspiration : http://mnhpva.org/Mini_Bents/Mini.html

    Good luck with it! Torben

    "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm beginning the search for a bent appropriate for my 7-year-old
    daughter.
    > I had considered building one, even bought an acetylene torch, but I know that's not in the cards.
    > Saw the Quetzals on ebay, and that's one option.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

  4. Mike Brisson

    Mike Brisson Guest

    Re: the Quetzel. This is a quote from the http://www.mnhpva.org/Mini_Bents/Mini.html site: "With
    large amounts of trail/wheelflop, straight bars and no tiller, these two little heavyweights are
    certain to convince a whole new generation of riders that recumbents are harder to ride than
    uprights."

    > Go with the Quetzal, they are uncomplicated and parts are available...low cost too. No real
    > downside I can think of. Nirvana Kiddie bents too are a good choice.
    > "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm beginning the search for a bent appropriate for my 7-year-old
    > daughter.
    > > I had considered building one, even bought an acetylene torch, but I
    know
    > > that's not in the cards. Saw the Quetzals on ebay, and that's one option.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > --
    > > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II,
    > > Screamer

  5. Nope, disagree The original question was someone sees a Quetzal on Ebay, I assume this is a very low
    cost and used bent. Wholesale they are very low cost. Now a Quetzal (has it's little oddities) but
    at a few hundred dollars U cannot compare the Kiddie Quetzal to and an Easy Racer GRR), what you get
    is fairly good. The bent adapts to the growth of the rider to age 12, so here is a bent with a
    lifespan of 5 years at a cost of maybe $30.00 per year. Parts are readily available....AND the
    father can make whatever changes are needed.........now what is the downside to that? I added
    Nirvana for Kiddie bents, they are doing a bent that would be better than the Quetzal BUT it costs
    lots more and is NOT on Ebay..tah dah
    ----------------------------
    "Mike Brisson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Re: the Quetzel. This is a quote from the http://www.mnhpva.org/Mini_Bents/Mini.html site: "With
    > large amounts of trail/wheelflop, straight bars and no tiller, these two little
    heavyweights
    > are certain to convince a whole new generation of riders that recumbents
    are
    > harder to ride than uprights."
    >

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Go with the Quetzal, they are uncomplicated and parts are
    available...low
    > > cost too. No real downside I can think of. Nirvana Kiddie bents too are a good choice.
    > > "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm beginning the search for a bent appropriate for my 7-year-old
    > > daughter.
    > > > I had considered building one, even bought an acetylene torch, but I
    > know
    > > > that's not in the cards. Saw the Quetzals on ebay, and that's one option.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > > --
    > > > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II,
    > > > Screamer

  6. Mike Brisson

    Mike Brisson Guest

    Good points, Joshua. I have no case to make about the Quetzel one way or the other. Just sharing
    some info I ran across. Michael

    news:p[email protected]...