Kids 16" bikes

DaveB

Guest
There's a rumour that Santa will be visiting our house this Christmas
with a 16" kids bike. I had a look at the LBS the other day and they
were between $150-190. Now that seems a fair bit of money to me and is
much more than you would pay at the likes of K-Mart. Given that a 4 year
old girl is not going to be putting the frame under any weight strain
and definitely won't be riding over jumps, frame quality is probably not
so much of an issue. What advantage can an LBS offer over the likes of
K-Mart or something like Rays Bike City. I'm all for supporting the LBS
but in this case can't see the value. Bike fit was an obvious reason fro
me gettign my roadbike from an LBS but for someone who's size will
probably change in the first month or so, that LBS advantage goes right
out the window.

DaveB

Shop around , GIANT's Animator & Puddin' 16" bikes have a RRP under what you
have been quoted & are very solid machines compared to the mass-merchant's
boxed bikes.
Steve @ IDEAL

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There's a rumour that Santa will be visiting our house this Christmas with
> a 16" kids bike. I had a look at the LBS the other day and they were
> between $150-190. Now that seems a fair bit of money to me and is much
> more than you would pay at the likes of K-Mart. Given that a 4 year old
> girl is not going to be putting the frame under any weight strain and
> definitely won't be riding over jumps, frame quality is probably not so
> much of an issue. What advantage can an LBS offer over the likes of K-Mart
> or something like Rays Bike City. I'm all for supporting the LBS but in
> this case can't see the value. Bike fit was an obvious reason fro me
> gettign my roadbike from an LBS but for someone who's size will probably
> change in the first month or so, that LBS advantage goes right out the
> window.
>
> DaveB

What advantage can an LBS offer over the likes of
> K-Mart or something like Rays Bike City. I'm all for supporting the LBS
> but in this case can't see the value. Bike fit was an obvious reason fro
> me gettign my roadbike from an LBS but for someone who's size will
> probably change in the first month or so, that LBS advantage goes right
> out the window.
>
> DaveB

Safety is an important issue. You want to make sure everything works
properly and won't pack up while she's riding it. The LBS will build the
bike properly, and offer servicing; at the very least a bike needs an
adjustment service soon after purchase.

BTW, Ray's is not a chain, not even a franchise. Each are individually
owned and therefore stock different brands.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> There's a rumour that Santa will be visiting our house this Christmas
> with a 16" kids bike. I had a look at the LBS the other day and they
> were between $150-190. Now that seems a fair bit of money to me and is
> much more than you would pay at the likes of K-Mart. Given that a 4 year
> old girl is not going to be putting the frame under any weight strain
> and definitely won't be riding over jumps, frame quality is probably not
> so much of an issue. What advantage can an LBS offer over the likes of
> K-Mart or something like Rays Bike City. I'm all for supporting the LBS
> but in this case can't see the value. Bike fit was an obvious reason fro
> me gettign my roadbike from an LBS but for someone who's size will
> probably change in the first month or so, that LBS advantage goes right
> out the window.
>
> DaveB

Buy 2nd-hand or remember you can sell it ½-price in a couple of years. A
4-yr old will be better off first on a 12" wheel bike.
--
Mark Lee