kids and toe clips

On Jul 15, 12:58 am, dhudes <[email protected]> wrote:

> you are welcome to believe what you like. I personally have
> experienced the difference between using regular pedals and using
> bicycle shoes with clipless pedals and cleats (snip)

> I'm not as experienced with toe clips or toe straps as I
> am with clipless pedals. It seems to me from their design that power
> grips offer some of the advantages of clipless pedals. I have ridden
> with toe clips on a road bike and I felt that I had more efficient
> transfer of my power to the bicycle compared to not using them. If you
> do not care to believe the evidence that's your choice but please go
> argue this elsewhere. The rest of us will go on using clipless pedals
> and toe clips/straps because we see the result.

Where do shoes fit into this equation-- did you use the same shoes
with and without toe clips/straps?

> As for mini toe clips, further investigation reveals that I'm going to
> have to replace the pedals with metal cage pedals in order to attach
> anything. The plastic cage pedals are too brittle, and the 'solid'
> platforms on the other bike provide no ability to mount anything I
> would have to drill through. While I have a drill, the material of the
> pedal isn't substantial enough to hold the bolts for the toe clips et
> al.

> So now I need critera for selecting metal cage pedals.

My experience/opinion is shoes (can) make the most difference, as you
can push down a lot harder on the pedal with a stiff-soled cycling
shoe without feeling the pedal through the shoe, as with a tennis shoe
or "sneaker", like kids wear. The old Beta Bikers, with their thick
sole in the pedal area, were an effort to provide a walkable shoe that
was also a "rider".

The various metal pedals, Campy clones and others, have a thin "cage"
that is not pleasant to ride on (opinion/experience) with thin soles.
Not to mention the lack of cleats for positioning. When I rode those
old Beta Bikers, it seemed I had to be careful with "too much float"
as I came home with sore knee(s) a couple of times after running into
a riding group while on a commute or whatever, and going longer and
much harder than usual with those non-cleated shoes.

I find the clipless pedals I've tried-- Look, Campy Profit, Shimano
6610's (newer pattern, road) easier to get out of than a strap-
equipped pedal, with or without cleats. A simple twist gets you out of
any of the clipless (while the motions might vary a little from brand
to brand), while getting out of a toestrap-equipped pedal takes a more
difficult motion, with a cleat adding another dimension again--
rolling the foot up off the pedal to get out of the cleat slot, then
pulling the foot backwards out of the strap. With clipless, you just
keep on pushing but turn the foot. Simpler.

The only place I've used the old-style "spud" SPD pedals is in Spin
class, but as I have at least one of the kids getting up to that age/
interest, I'm thinking to get one of those setups for her road bike,
possibly with MTB shoes for easy walking, since they seem pretty easy
to get in and out of, both for motion required and also effort. We'll
see if she gets along with the 6610's (out of the Dad parts box...)
first. Those "pontoon" cleats walk pretty well for a road shoe, and
they seem to have a pretty "clean" disengagement, from my use, without
the Look "unintentional release" problem when the cleats get worn.

After taking the 7 yr old on his first trip around the new
neighborhood this a.m., I'm still in favor of lower gears to make
pedaling uphill easier, but indeed there is a learning curve there. He
doesn't like the feel of first gear, claimed it was "wasting all my
energy", but second was a little too tall for him to get up that
certain hill, especially since he tried to drop me before he blew.
Another learning curve, there. --D-y

On Jul 16, 8:28 am, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> dhudes wrote:
>
> I can't argue with your "feelings", but if you want to argue science,
> this is the place for it.

no please go start another thread on the question. I'm not buying into
clipless pedals and bike shoes for my kids this year. Each year I will
evaluate the situation and their bicycles as well as the available
products (it's hard enough to find dealers for youth-size bicycle
shorts; I did find a few though) and decide anew but for -this- year
the decision is 'no'.

On Jul 16, 3:34 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 12:58 am, dhudes <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> So now I need critera for selecting metal cage pedals.

> My experience/opinion is shoes (can) make the most difference, as you
> can push down a lot harder on the pedal with a stiff-soled cycling
> shoe without feeling the pedal through the shoe, as with a tennis shoe
> or "sneaker", like kids wear. The old Beta Bikers, with their thick
> sole in the pedal area, were an effort to provide a walkable shoe that
> was also a "rider".

Even if I wanted I do not see bicycle shoes in youth sizes.

> The various metal pedals, Campy clones and others, have a thin "cage"
> that is not pleasant to ride on (opinion/experience) with thin soles.
> Not to mention the lack of cleats for positioning.

I think toe clips (strapless) do help with positioning the foot.

> I find the clipless pedals I've tried-- Look, Campy Profit, Shimano
> 6610's (newer pattern, road) easier to get out of than a strap-
> equipped pedal, with or without cleats. A simple twist gets you out of
> any of the clipless (while the motions might vary a little from brand
> to brand), while getting out of a toestrap-equipped pedal takes a more
> difficult motion, with a cleat adding another dimension again--
> rolling the foot up off the pedal to get out of the cleat slot, then
> pulling the foot backwards out of the strap. With clipless, you just
> keep on pushing but turn the foot. Simpler.

Mini toe clips simply require pulling the foot backward. One can
continue that motion and be off the pedal completely; yes, its true
that to put the foot down one must pull back and then push out to the
side but I do not see that as difficult to learn.

> The only place I've used the old-style "spud" SPD pedals is in Spin
> class, but as I have at least one of the kids getting up to that age/
> interest, I'm thinking to get one of those setups for her road bike,
> possibly with MTB shoes for easy walking, since they seem pretty easy
> to get in and out of, both for motion required and also effort. We'll
> see if she gets along with the 6610's (out of the Dad parts box...)
> first. Those "pontoon" cleats walk pretty well for a road shoe, and
> they seem to have a pretty "clean" disengagement, from my use, without
> the Look "unintentional release" problem when the cleats get worn.

I use Shimano MTB shoes with SPD cleats and I have no problem walking
around in them; I try to minimize walking on pavmenet with them as
much as possible to avoid wearing them out but I can park my bike out
front and go into a store with them without fear of damaging the
cleats.

> After taking the 7 yr old on his first trip around the new
> neighborhood this a.m., I'm still in favor of lower gears to make
> pedaling uphill easier, but indeed there is a learning curve there. He
> doesn't like the feel of first gear, claimed it was "wasting all my
> energy", but second was a little too tall for him to get up that
> certain hill, especially since he tried to drop me before he blew.
> Another learning curve, there. --D-y

Chain rings are a big help there. The difference in leg strength
between my two daughters isn't that much and their bikes are about the
same weight but the older has a triple chain ring (both have 5 gears
in the cassette). The tires on the younger one's bike are fatter but
with a road tread; the older one's got a mountain bike without shocks
so she's got the knobby tires on her bike. Both girls do indeed like
to 'drop' Daddy on the downhills and will pedal furiously to do so as
I coast downhill standing in my pedals to increase drag so they can
catch up. Uphill, I end up waiting at the top of the hill (and I'm on
a hybrid with front shocks). The MTB on 1st chain ring is a better
gear ratio than the fixed chain ring of the smaller bike.