Kids are expensive

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Nathan has outgrown his road bike. It is now waaaay too small for him - really noticed it yesterday.
    How do teenage boys manage to sprout 6" in height overnight??? More darned expense! It was bad
    enough he got 20 squid out of me yesterday - he improved his TT time - so financial reward was
    promised, plus he helped me out on a science stand at a local fair type event, and worked darned
    hard. Okay, he worked for it, but kids are darned expensive!! Bekka & Myra be warned ;-) Hmm... now
    - where to source a new road bike for him at next to nowt, that he won't be ashamed to ride. Oh the
    joys of parenthood!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > Nathan has outgrown his road bike. It is now waaaay too small for him - really noticed it
    > yesterday. How do teenage boys manage to sprout 6" in height overnight??? More darned expense!

    An easy problem to solve: just get him a New Series Moulton. Not only is it a good fast road bike,
    but the nature of the frame design means it'll fit a much wider range of rider sizes than
    traditional diamond frames, so it'll grow with him and you won't have the problem again.

    There is a catch, of course: they're 5 grand...

    But seriously, if he's a keen cyclist (sounds like he is) and he'll be riding a bike a lot for a
    long time yet you could possibly look at models other than diamond frames that suit a wide range of
    rider sizes (including you and Vernon, of course!), and blow a big pile now rather than several
    smaller ones into the future. Not a cheap option if you're looking at serious machinery, but hardly
    as much as the NSM and it shouldn't need replacing next time he grows. Birdies (Blacks have been
    used in triathlons), Bike Fridays (Sam Whittingham, the world record holder for HPV speed at 81 mph
    on the flat without drafting uses a BF Pocket Rocket in HPV sprint races IIRC), Pashley/Moulton's
    sportier entries (like the R18) etc. Note that these sorts of thing tend to be banned in some racing
    because the smaller wheels make them too good at drafting, so there may be negative implications in
    some flavours of racing if he's into that. They also may not be "cool" enough to be ridden by a
    teen, though if he's into function rather than form, being able to go faster than any of his pals
    probably won't be a problem!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. >An easy problem to solve: just get him a New Series Moulton. Not only is it a good fast road bike,
    >but the nature of the frame design means it'll fit a much wider range of rider sizes than
    >traditional diamond frames, so it'll grow with him and you won't have the problem again.
    >
    >There is a catch, of course: they're 5 grand...

    That one is out - I can't afford to spend 5 grand on a bike for me or Vernon let alone Nathan!

    >But seriously, if he's a keen cyclist (sounds like he is) and he'll be riding a bike a lot for a
    >long time yet you could possibly look at models other than diamond frames that suit a wide range of
    >rider sizes (including you and Vernon, of course!),

    He wants/needs a bike he can use on his club events, which he is starting to enjoy. I think the
    financial incentive is helping a bit :) So a trad bike will be the order of the day - but one which
    isn't too small. Vernon's just ordered some "proper" road shoes - a pair for himself & a pair for
    Nathan - so there's matching club jerseys & matching shoes on those two. Can't afford a a bike for
    Nathan to match his Dad's though :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On 17 Apr 2003 11:51:17 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >He wants/needs a bike he can use on his club events, which he is starting to enjoy. I think the
    >financial incentive is helping a bit :) So a trad bike will be the order of the day - but one which
    >isn't too small. Vernon's just ordered some "proper" road shoes - a pair for himself & a pair for
    >Nathan - so there's matching club jerseys & matching shoes on those two. Can't afford a a bike for
    >Nathan to match his Dad's though :)

    Perhaps second hand would be a way forward? With careful selection you should be able to find
    something of good quality and in good condition. If it's a bargain you could upgrade a couple of
    components to suit Nathans needs or even get the frame resprayed, that should make it suitably shiny
    for him (and he gets to choose the new colour).

    Or, how about simply buying a new frame? If he's already on a bike with 700c wheels there's nothing
    to stop you buying a new frame to fit and then transferring components from his current ride, again
    maybe changing one or two tired bits? It could be a project for Nathan and Dad, find the frame,
    choose the new bits, build it together etc.

    I'll admit I don't have children of my own, so maybe don't properly understand just how expensive
    they are but, really, can you think of a better thing to spend money on? He's clearly enjoying his
    cycling and cash spent on a bike for him is literally helping to assure him a happy, healthy and
    long life. Go on, get the chequebook out, you love 'im! :eek:)

    Bob

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > If he's already on a bike with 700c wheels there's nothing to stop you buying a

    ... longer seat tube and telling him that compact frames are the in thing.

  6. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:02:42 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> If he's already on a bike with 700c wheels there's nothing to stop you buying a
    >
    >... longer seat tube and telling him that compact frames are the in thing.

    Yeah, three foot seatpost and an eight inch stem. He'll be fine :eek:)

    Bob

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Nathan has outgrown his road bike. It is now waaaay too small for him - really noticed it
    > yesterday. How do teenage boys manage to sprout 6" in height overnight??? More darned expense!

    Its not just boys! If you think that's bad, try it with twins. Two new bikes at a time, not even a
    chance of a hand me down :-( Still, they're worth it.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    : He wants/needs a bike he can use on his club events, which he is starting to enjoy. I think the
    : financial incentive is helping a bit :) So a trad bike will be the order of the day - but one
    : which isn't too small. Vernon's just ordered some "proper" road shoes - a pair for himself & a
    : pair for Nathan - so there's matching club jerseys & matching shoes on those two. Can't afford a a
    : bike for Nathan to match his Dad's though :)

    Get a second hand one - you can get excellent bargins from the back of t'comic.

    Arhtur

    Lord Lester

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    My kids weren't expensive they both came free. Since then however they have cost me a small fortune,
    and they're not even into cycling yet.

    Richard

  10. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > Just you wait ;-)
    >
    > Nathan has seen a frame he likes, so Vernon is considering purchasing that plus components and
    > building up a bike - Nathen to help. Could be interesting times ahead :)

    Dont you find it confusing having kids with such similar names?

    (bit cruel, apologies :)

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  11. John B

    John B Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > > Since then however they have cost me a small fortune, and they're not even into cycling yet.
    >
    > Just you wait ;-)
    >
    > Nathan has seen a frame he likes, so Vernon is considering purchasing that plus components and
    > building up a bike - Nathen to help. Could be interesting times ahead :)

    Fight Fight Fight Fight

    John B

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Vernon's just ordered some "proper" road shoes - a pair for himself & a pair for Nathan - so
    > there's matching club jerseys & matching shoes on those two.

    Now he's into TTs he's going to want a skin suit in club colours. I presume that would be slightly
    more acceptable than bibs? What else? Triathlon bars, disk wheel rear, tri-spoke front, shoe covers,
    head fairing ...

    --
    Dave...

  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:35:25 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dont you find it confusing having kids with such similar names?
    >
    >(bit cruel, apologies :)

    LOL - slab time.

    Alex, my father was called James Hodson as was my grandfather and my great-great-grandfather too.
    However, my great-grandfather was called James Archibald Hodson - I guess my g-g-grandfather must
    have been some sort of free-thinking bloke.

    I'm usually known as James nowadays but was called one of Chip, Chip Butty, Butty or Pod at school
    and Hoggy (as in oi, oi, oi) at prep school. My mother (and my family) called me Jamie ... unless
    I'd misbehaved when she would call me James or even James Hodson <ducking for cover time>

    My family obviously shows great imagination when it comes to chosing Christian names.

    All in all I think Helen has a pretty easy life, at least regarding names.

    BTW, Helen, there is this male conspiracy called "The Sprout". It involves a sudden growth of
    several inches and usually takes place in the mid-teens, quite often just after much money has been
    spent on clothes and bicycles.

    James - one of a kind :-/

    --
    "Watch the kite, not where you're going!"

  14. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 17 Apr 2003 18:30:59 GMT someone who may be [email protected]
    (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote this:-

    >Nathan has seen a frame he likes, so Vernon is considering purchasing that >plus components and
    >building up a bike - Nathen to help.

    Ah. Younger and older male in a cave bonding over a shared hobby.

  15. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Kids are expensive...but they are the one thing in life that can be described as excellent value for
    money ;-) (especially if they go on to look after you in the lap of luxury in later life <lives in
    hope!!> ) ...and I would always rather spend the money on them than a double glazing salesman's
    commission / insurance salesman's commission / chancellor of the exchequer's freefall spending spree
    on ego boosting projects, etc&etc. (after supporting my own hobbies first, of course - mean dad!,
    mean dad! ;-) Dave.

  16. In article <[email protected].aol.com>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Nathan has outgrown his road bike. It is now waaaay too small for him - really noticed it
    >yesterday. How do teenage boys manage to sprout 6" in height overnight??? More darned expense! It
    >was bad enough he got 20 squid out of me yesterday - he improved his TT time - so financial reward
    >was promised, plus he helped me out on a science stand at a local fair type event, and worked
    >darned hard. Okay, he worked for it, but kids are darned expensive!!

    Yes -- but only for the first 25 years

    --
    The Big Baguette

  17. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Wait till he's 15... 16... 17...

    The buggers get exponentially more expensive with age ! Don't say you warned
    !

    :)

    > Nathan has outgrown his road bike. It is now waaaay too small for him -
    really
    > noticed it yesterday. How do teenage boys manage to sprout 6" in height overnight??? More darned
    > expense! It was bad enough he got 20 squid out of
    me
    > yesterday - he improved his TT time - so financial reward was promised,
    plus he
    > helped me out on a science stand at a local fair type event, and worked
    darned
    > hard. Okay, he worked for it, but kids are darned expensive!! Bekka & Myra
    be
    > warned ;-) Hmm... now - where to source a new road bike for him at next to nowt, that he won't be
    > ashamed to ride. Oh the joys of parenthood!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > ~~~~~~~~~~
    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
    > reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
    keyboaRRRDdd
    > ~~~~~~~~~~

  18. Davep

    Davep Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > Nathan has outgrown his road bike. It is now waaaay too small for him - really noticed it
    > yesterday. How do teenage boys manage to sprout 6" in height overnight??? More darned expense! It
    > was bad enough he got 20 squid out of me yesterday - he improved his TT time - so financial reward
    > was promised, plus he helped me out on a science stand at a local fair type event, and worked
    > darned hard. Okay, he worked for it, but kids are darned expensive!! Bekka & Myra be warned ;-)
    > Hmm... now - where to source a new road bike for him at next to nowt, that he won't be ashamed to
    > ride. Oh the joys of parenthood!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    > Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!
    >
    > Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd

    ben is 15 in June. We bought him an Amrosio Solaro with Campag xenon groupset/vuelta wheels last
    summer ( 580 pds ) and when he grows out of it I'll consider getting a bigger frame for him and
    getting the LBS to transfer all the components over ( 45-50 pds).

    davep