Kids bike..........

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by ZaboAA, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. ZaboAA

    ZaboAA Guest

    My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes on 14
    mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little Gary Fisher,
    but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a good alum/light
    frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent components?

    Thanx

    Tags:

  2. Todd Brown

    Todd Brown Guest

    Look at the Specialized HotRock.

    "ZaboAA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes on 14
    > mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little Gary

    Fisher,
    > but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a good alum/light
    > frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent components?
    >
    > Thanx

  3. scurry

    scurry Guest

    ZaboAA wrote:
    > My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes on 14
    > mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little Gary Fisher,
    > but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a good alum/light
    > frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent components?
    >
    > Thanx

    Specialized makes a nice one in front or full suspension. My son has
    the front suspension model. Don't recall the name, but I thought they
    should call it a KidRock. :)

    Shawn

  4. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    ZaboAA <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes
    > on 14 mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little
    > Gary Fisher, but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a
    > good alum/light frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent
    > components?
    >
    > Thanx

    I've got to support the other posters who recommended the Hotrock. 24 inch
    wheels, single or triple in front, a good bike for the junior set -- and
    less than $250 bucks. I bought one for my son last Christmas, but traded it
    in for a small adult sized frame this summer as he sprouted like a weed over
    the winter. I looked all over for a decent kids mountain bike and the
    Hotrock was the best deal going.

    Tom

  5. FeltnA

    FeltnA Guest

    ZaboAA wrote:

    > My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes on 14
    > mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little Gary Fisher,
    > but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a good alum/light
    > frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent components?
    >
    > Thanx

    Find some dirt/dual frame bike with shortest stem (length 0). Works fine
    with my son. He was 9yo when we bought him such bike. It was one from
    local bike maker here in europe but it could work for you.

  6. ZaboAA wrote:
    > My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes on 14
    > mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little Gary Fisher,
    > but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a good alum/light
    > frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent components?

    If you want something light look at the
    Specialized Hemi Mini and related bikes.

    Fast, light, trail worthy BMX bikes.

    --
    petefagerlin.com

    everything that is wrong with the internet

  7. ZaboAA

    ZaboAA Guest

    I 'm trying to avoid a steel framed bike, there just too heavy. He really
    is a good rider, and am thinking about entering him in some races. BMX is
    ok, but I've been mountain biking for 15 years and really love riding with
    him. thanks for all the help.
    "p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote

  8. ZaboAA wrote:
    > I 'm trying to avoid a steel framed bike, there just too heavy.

    The Hemi Mini is aluminum and weighs around 17
    pounds, complete.

    He really
    > is a good rider, and am thinking about entering him in some races. BMX is
    > ok, but I've been mountain biking for 15 years and really love riding with
    > him.

    Yeah, I've been mountain biking for a long time
    and love riding with my kid too. What does that
    have to do with your, or my, comments?

    --
    petefagerlin.com

    everything that is wrong with the internet

  9. Marko Pavlin

    Marko Pavlin Guest

    p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:

    > Yeah, I've been mountain biking for a long time and love riding with my
    > kid too. What does that have to do with your, or my, comments?

    Just one comment: Start early!

    http://tabla.xenya.si/gallery/albums/album33/gal1.jpg

  10. On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:45:52 -0500, ZaboAA wrote:

    > My 7 year old loves mountain biking and is real good at it. He goes on
    > 14 mile rides with me on some pretty good trails. He has a little Gary
    > Fisher, but it is a steel frame and is very heavy. Anyone now a good
    > alum/light frame for a kids mountain bike that has some descent
    > components?

    If you can get anyone to get you a bike from Europe, check out the kids
    bikes from http://www.author.cz ; in particular the Cosmic. Less than
    $200 US, weighs about 18#, quality components, works like a charm.
    http://www.author.cz/index.php?kolo&y=2004&z=1&idk=41&idkk=732

    My 7 year old has one; she's put about a zillion miles on it and regularly
    leaves other kids in the dust - mostly because they're on those
    pseudo-suspension 30# steel bikes where she can out maneuver and out
    sprint them.

    The only bad thing about the Cosmic is that it doesn't have QR wheels.
    Other than that, it's a great bike for kids.

    --Kamus