Kids Bikes

jmgradon

Oct 24, 2003
I have a 9-year-old son who is currently riding a cheap one-speed clunker purchased at Toys R Us. I want to get him a good kid's bike so we can go on more ambitious rides together. He is 55 inches tall, so I guess is ready for a 24-inch bike. I see there are a lot of mostly mountain bike types available in the $250 range with 21 speeds although you can spend a lot more. I would be grateful for any recommendations readers may have about who makes the best kids bike for the best price.

For the price I ended up getting my daughter a Schwinn at, hold your breath, Target. It is a steel frame (so heavier than the aluminum ones out there). I was really down to this or a Fuji alum. for about $215. The price finished the deal for me and my daughter is 7 and very tall for her age so I didn't see the expense. The Schwinn has a Tourney rear derailler (as do most of the others), rack mount screws, water bottle screws, 21 gears, SRAM shift, promax brakes, threaded regular headset ... all for $108 on sale. It just seemed to add up to a good value for the money. I also want her to handle some nice rides (for my sake) ... but I honestly don't mind if the steel wt. slows her down a bit. She really zips along! Cautious mother here. It feels pretty solid and does have parts that can be worked on should the need arise. It really isn't all that heavy ... I've thrown it in the van a couple times already.

the Trek & Fisher looked about the same to me (not a big surprise).
Raleigh & Giant also offer nice 24" bikes as does probably all the major makers.

Good Luck!

I just bought my son who turned 10 a Marin Bayview Trail. The frame is 7005 aluminum, double butted with a shaped top and down tube. The componentry is excellent (all alloy parts, no steel) and has the same style of shifters as adult mountain bikes. I got it on sale at the LBS for around US$ 250, list is $273. It is probably one of the lightest kids 24 inch mountain bikes you will find.

www.marinbikes.com

I forgot to mention with the Target purchase I had to take most things apart and grease/lube them ... they put the bike together dry. One brake cable was so long it barely engaged and the front derailler had to be lowered. It was an assembly mess. Just beware if you go that route... or probably any other non-LBS purchase.

Good Luck!