Kids first Mt Bikes.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tj, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Tj

    Tj Guest

    They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and purchased each of my kids a bike.
    My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet for a kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that
    is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension
    and some other pretty cool spec for kids bikes. The Kona is well specd for the price also. We
    returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted down the trail very well. We all BMX
    so the kids bike handling skills are pretty good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good
    ups and downs. They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have them hooked for
    life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their rooms. They
    were both cleaning them off getting ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.

    TJ

    --
    No Spam. Drop the TJ to send some messages ya see.

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    TJ <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and
    purchased
    > each of my kids a bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet for
    > kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with
    > 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids
    > bikes. The Kona is
    well
    > specd for the price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted
    down
    > the trail very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are
    pretty
    > good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good ups and downs. They made most of the
    > climbs and railed the descents. I think I have them hooked for life. I knew this when after I put
    > my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their rooms. They were both cleaning them off getting
    > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    >
    > TJ

    Oh hell - that's all the world needs, 2 more bloody mountain bikers!

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - nice work.

  3. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Hey the more the merrier!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    > TJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and
    > purchased
    > > each of my kids a bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet
    for
    > > kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with
    > > 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids
    > > bikes. The Kona is
    > well
    > > specd for the price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted
    > down
    > > the trail very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are
    > pretty
    > > good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good ups and
    downs.
    > > They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have
    them
    > > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their
    > > rooms. They were both cleaning them off
    getting
    > > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    > >
    > > TJ
    >
    > Oh hell - that's all the world needs, 2 more bloody mountain bikers!
    >

    > ',;~}~
    >
    > Shaun aRe - nice work.

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and purchased each of my kids a bike.
    > My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet for a kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that
    > is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension
    > and some other pretty cool spec for kids bikes. The Kona is well specd for the price also. We
    > returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted down the trail very well. We all
    > BMX so the kids bike handling skills are pretty good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had
    > some good ups and downs. They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have them
    > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their
    > rooms. They were both cleaning them off getting ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    >
    > TJ

    I started my kids on Special Ed kids' Hardrock and Hotrock respectively. Stout little bikes, and
    lots of fun to ride together.

    Paladin

  5. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and
    purchased
    > > each of my kids a bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet
    for a
    > > kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with
    > > 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids
    > > bikes. The Kona is
    well
    > > specd for the price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted
    down
    > > the trail very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are
    pretty
    > > good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good ups and
    downs.
    > > They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have
    them
    > > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their
    > > rooms. They were both cleaning them off
    getting
    > > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    > >
    > > TJ
    >
    > I started my kids on Special Ed kids' Hardrock and Hotrock respectively. Stout little bikes, and
    > lots of fun to ride together.
    >
    > Paladin

    I am glad they now have some gears to choose. Before they were " Singlespeeding ". I did not want
    them to be that sick in the head.........YET. So I bought the bikes. They are both extremely happy
    with them.

    TJ

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > TJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and
    > purchased
    > > each of my kids a bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet
    for
    > > kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with
    > > 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids
    > > bikes. The Kona is
    > well
    > > specd for the price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted
    > down
    > > the trail very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are
    > pretty
    > > good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good ups and
    downs.
    > > They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have
    them
    > > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their
    > > rooms. They were both cleaning them off
    getting
    > > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    > >
    > > TJ
    >
    > Oh hell - that's all the world needs, 2 more bloody mountain bikers!

    Give 'em time; they haven't even crashed yet.

    Bill "the only true mountain bikers are bloody mountain bikers" S.

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    I won't forget the time I was at a local park (part of the greenway trails system growing in
    Charlotte) and there was a father and son loading their bikes back onto his car. Daddy had a
    $3000ish wonder-rig with disc brakes (early in the day for them) but it was the kid's 20" bike that
    really drew my eyes. It looked like polished aluminum with very nice, rugged welds. It was fully
    rigid but had all the other bells and whistles of Daddy's bike, right down to a set of Magura
    "Cantilever" hydraulic brakes.

    I was instructing my wife on how to take the front wheel off her bike, as I had just installed
    V-brakes on it recently and he overheard me tell her "Now pull the boot off the noodle."

    He smiled and said "That's enough of that here!"

    I struck up a convo with him as we loaded our bikes onto our respective cars. Turned out he built
    the kid's bike himself and the Maguras were actually originally from his bike, recently taken off
    to make way for the disc brakes (no, I didn't get into my "great Disc Brake Conspiracy" debate
    with him.)

    That kid's really gonna be spoiled for bikes from now on. When I was his age I just had a yellow
    Stingray! (God! I miss that bike!)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/10/2003

  8. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<b9df8[email protected]>...
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and purchased each of my kids a
    > > bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet for a kids bike. Except no QR's. And My
    > > youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks,
    > > RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids bikes. The Kona is well specd for the
    > > price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted down the trail
    > > very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are pretty good. I took them on about a 4
    > > mi ride. It had some good ups and downs. They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I
    > > think I have them

    > > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their
    > > rooms. They were both cleaning them off getting ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    > >
    > > TJ
    >
    > I started my kids on Special Ed kids' Hardrock and Hotrock respectively. Stout little bikes, and
    > lots of fun to ride together.
    >
    > Paladin

    I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are still
    on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though. Now I need to start teaching them
    about bike maintanence.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com <-- Northern California Mountain Bike photos

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and
    purchased
    > > > each of my kids a bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet
    for a
    > > > kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with
    > > > 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids
    > > > bikes. The Kona
    is well
    > > > specd for the price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They
    scooted down
    > > > the trail very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are
    pretty
    > > > good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good ups and
    downs.
    > > > They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have
    them

    > > > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the
    basement,
    > > > their bikes were in their rooms. They were both cleaning them off
    getting
    > > > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    > > >
    > > > TJ
    > >
    > > I started my kids on Special Ed kids' Hardrock and Hotrock respectively. Stout little bikes, and
    > > lots of fun to ride together.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are
    > still on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though.

    Just because they ride Mongeese, that's no reason to replace your children!

    Bill "sheesh" S.

  10. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > purchased
    > for a
    > is well
    > scooted down
    > pretty
    > downs.
    > them

    > basement,
    > getting

    > > > I started my kids on Special Ed kids' Hardrock and Hotrock respectively. Stout little bikes,
    > > > and lots of fun to ride together.
    > > >
    > > > Paladin
    > >
    > > I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are
    > > still on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though.
    >
    > Just because they ride Mongeese, that's no reason to replace your
    children!

    > Bill "sheesh" S.

    LMAO. Hehehehe.

    TJ

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:50:56 -0500, "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and purchased each of my kids a bike.
    >My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet for a kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that
    >is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension
    >and some other pretty cool spec for kids bikes. The Kona is well specd for the price also. We
    >returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They scooted down the trail very well. We all
    >BMX so the kids bike handling skills are pretty good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some
    >good ups and downs. They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have them
    >hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the basement, their bikes were in their
    >rooms. They were both cleaning them off getting ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    >
    >TJ

    Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > They were both cleaning them off getting
    > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.

    You're Superdad. I was just in Doug's shop the other day. Those dudes are pretty cool.

    BTW, Kevin and I were up above (way) and to the West from your place today. It was the longest 16
    miles I have ridden this year, especially the climb out from the river bottom that you can see from
    the Bluffs.

    JD

  13. Tj

    Tj Guest

    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > They were both cleaning them off getting
    > > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    >
    > You're Superdad. I was just in Doug's shop the other day. Those dudes are pretty cool.
    >
    > BTW, Kevin and I were up above (way) and to the West from your place today. It was the longest 16
    > miles I have ridden this year, especially the climb out from the river bottom that you can see
    > from the Bluffs.
    >
    > JD
    You nut! If it is the ride I am thinking of it is about 9 miles up. Drop me an e-mail an let me know
    if I am right.

    TJ

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > TJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > They already have their Mini's. I just went down to the LBS, and
    > > purchased
    > > > each of my kids a bike. My oldest wanted the Kona Hula. Pretty sweet
    > for
    > > > kids bike. Except no QR's. And My youngest that is seven wanted the Specialized. Hot Rock with
    > > > 24" QR wheels, and Truvativ cranks, RST suspension and some other pretty cool spec for kids
    > > > bikes. The Kona
    is
    > > well
    > > > specd for the price also. We returned home and set off on the first trail ride. They
    scooted
    > > down
    > > > the trail very well. We all BMX so the kids bike handling skills are
    > > pretty
    > > > good. I took them on about a 4 mi ride. It had some good ups and
    > downs.
    > > > They made most of the climbs and railed the descents. I think I have
    > them
    > > > hooked for life. I knew this when after I put my bike in the
    basement,
    > > > their bikes were in their rooms. They were both cleaning them off
    > getting
    > > > ready for the next ride. Thanks Doug.
    > > >
    > > > TJ
    > >
    > > Oh hell - that's all the world needs, 2 more bloody mountain bikers!
    >
    > Give 'em time; they haven't even crashed yet.
    >
    > Bill "the only true mountain bikers are bloody mountain bikers" S.

    Truth!

    Shaun aRe - 67.532% Scar tissue.

  15. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    > purchased
    > for a
    > is well
    > scooted down
    > pretty
    > downs.
    > them

    > basement,
    > getting

    > > > I started my kids on Special Ed kids' Hardrock and Hotrock respectively. Stout little bikes,
    > > > and lots of fun to ride together.
    > > >
    > > > Paladin
    > >
    > > I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are
    > > still on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though.
    >
    > Just because they ride Mongeese, that's no reason to replace your children!
    >
    > Bill "sheesh" S.

    I didn't say I was replacing them because they ride Mongeese. They are being replaced for entirely
    other reasons. We will be trading them in for kids that listen to what I say the first time, don't
    backtalk, get good grades, never fight with each other, and are willing to ride bikes with dad 5
    days a week :) We might reconsider though. Recently I heard there are mind altering drugs which you
    can give your existing children to alter their behaivior.

    Either way quality bikes will be purchased for the children in my household over the next
    six months.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  16. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > purchased
    > > for a
    RST
    Kona
    > > is well
    > > scooted down
    > > pretty
    > > downs.
    > > them

    > > basement,
    > > getting

    > > > I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are
    > > > still on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though.
    > >
    > > Just because they ride Mongeese, that's no reason to replace your
    children!

    > > Bill "sheesh" S.
    >
    > I didn't say I was replacing them because they ride Mongeese. They are being replaced for entirely
    > other reasons. We will be trading them in for kids that listen to what I say the first time, don't
    > backtalk, get good grades, never fight with each other, and are willing to ride bikes with dad 5
    > days a week :) We might reconsider though. Recently I heard there are mind altering drugs which
    > you can give your existing children to alter their behaivior.
    >
    > Either way quality bikes will be purchased for the children in my household over the next
    > six months.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    I'll volunteer! Can I have a kitten and my own phone? Does Mom or Dad cook every night?

  17. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > purchased
    > > for a
    RST
    Kona
    > > is well
    > > scooted down
    > > pretty
    > > downs.
    > > them

    > > basement,
    > > getting

    > > > I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are
    > > > still on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though.
    > >
    > > Just because they ride Mongeese, that's no reason to replace your
    children!

    > > Bill "sheesh" S.
    >
    > I didn't say I was replacing them because they ride Mongeese. They are being replaced for entirely
    > other reasons. We will be trading them in for kids that listen to what I say the first time, don't
    > backtalk, get good grades, never fight with each other, and are willing to ride bikes with dad 5
    > days a week :) We might reconsider though. Recently I heard there are mind altering drugs which
    > you can give your existing children to alter their behaivior.
    >
    > Either way quality bikes will be purchased for the children in my household over the next
    > six months.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    What's the fun in " Maintenence Free" kids. It is like having a "Maintence Free" bike. The more you
    mess with it, the more it seeks revenge on you at the most inconvienient times. Good laughs to be
    had though.

    TJ

  18. "The Ogre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > purchased
    > > for a
    RST
    Kona
    > > is well
    > > scooted down
    > > pretty
    > > downs.
    > > them

    > > basement,
    > > getting

    > > > I didn't start riding until my kids were a bit older. They like riding, but my younger two are
    > > > still on Wally Mart specials. I will be replacing them soon though.
    > >
    > > Just because they ride Mongeese, that's no reason to replace your
    children!

    > > Bill "sheesh" S.
    >
    > I didn't say I was replacing them because they ride Mongeese. They are being replaced for entirely
    > other reasons. We will be trading them in for kids that listen to what I say the first time, don't
    > backtalk, get good grades, never fight with each other, and are willing to ride bikes with dad 5
    > days a week :) We might reconsider though. Recently I heard there are mind altering drugs which
    > you can give your existing children to alter their behaivior.
    >
    > Either way quality bikes will be purchased for the children in my household over the next
    > six months.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. I recently bought a Trek 24" for my son, left
    over from last year, for about $40 less than this years model. It was about a 15% savings.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  19. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Either way quality bikes will be purchased for the children in my household over the next six
    > > months.
    >
    > I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. I recently bought a Trek 24" for my son, left
    > over from last year, for about $40 less than this years model. It was about a 15% savings.

    I'll have to keep my eyes peeled then. My kids have all grown out of 24" bikes, in fact the smallest
    is probably Penny's size. My wife looks up to all but the youngest and they are about eye to eye. So
    full sized bike all around.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com