Kids in cycling

Scotttri

Oct 11, 2005
I have a 6 year old who is right into riding his bike ( as most young kids are ) and was wondering at what age they start competeing??? He's not interested in any other sport, and will sit and watch the cycling on eurosport for hours. Currently, he rides a 16" BMX, and often will go for a 15km ride and complete it in an hour.....which I take isn't to bad for a kid that age on that size bike. He is not keen on BMX raceing, which would be the normal avenue. So what would be my options for his progression. I assume he's still quite a few years to young, and would be a while befor he'd be big enough even for a kids size road bike.

Scotttri said:
I have a 6 year old who is right into riding his bike ( as most young kids are ) and was wondering at what age they start competeing??? He's not interested in any other sport, and will sit and watch the cycling on eurosport for hours. Currently, he rides a 16" BMX, and often will go for a 15km ride and complete it in an hour.....which I take isn't to bad for a kid that age on that size bike. He is not keen on BMX raceing, which would be the normal avenue. So what would be my options for his progression. I assume he's still quite a few years to young, and would be a while befor he'd be big enough even for a kids size road bike.

Check your local cycling clubs. My daughter has been racing road & track since she was 10 (she now races U-13 and picked up State titles in scratch and 500m in 2010), but there are other younger kids at the training rides, too.
If you are anywhere near a velodrome, check what introduction sessions they have. Riding with my daughter on the road has gone from being sheer terror to a great pleasure, thanks to the skills built on the track (riding smooth, holding her line, peripheral awareness... and keeping the speed up).
Some clubs are very supportive of juniors, and some just have them as an afterthought. Try before you buy. Our club sessions put a lot of emphasis on coaching and supporting the young riders. See if there's something similar where you are.

Eoin