Kiev/Ukraine for 6 months: glucophage, amaryl, wellbutrin, others avail?(or equivalents)

*L* Lol

Guest
Hello group,

I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It was
available in stores everywhere, without a prescription. I
looked for a couple other common drugs, which were also
available.

I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
medications. What is the availability of :

Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg

If these are not available, what are the equivalent meds
that are available?

Thanks.

*L* LOL said this...
> Hello group,
>
> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
> months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
> recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
> was available in stores everywhere, without a
> prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
> which were also available.
>
> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
> medications. What is the availability of :

Few countries use the American brand names as their
pharmacies carry generic (chemically identical) drugs.

> Wellbutrin SR 150,

Bupropion HCl

> Glucophage XR 500

Metformin 500mg (XR variant is generally the
trademarked variety)

> Amaryl 1 mg

Glimepiride

US branding rarely means anything in other countries, and
indeed the product may be sold under a completely different
trademark. Ordering or requesting the product by its generic
name covers all bases

Ratty

--
Imitation of life

www.flyingrat.net

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:41:09 -0000, Flying Rat <[email protected]> wrote:

>*L* LOL said this...
>> Hello group,
>>
>> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
>> months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
>> recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
>> was available in stores everywhere, without a
>> prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
>> which were also available.
>>
>> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
>> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
>> medications. What is the availability of :
>
>Few countries use the American brand names as their
>pharmacies carry generic (chemically identical) drugs.
>

>> Wellbutrin SR 150,
>
>Bupropion HCl
>
>> Glucophage XR 500
>
>Metformin 500mg (XR variant is generally the
>trademarked variety)
>
>> Amaryl 1 mg
>
>Glimepiride
>
>US branding rarely means anything in other countries, and
>indeed the product may be sold under a completely different
>trademark. Ordering or requesting the product by its
>generic name covers all bases
>
>Ratty

Thanks

"*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello group,
>
> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
> months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
> recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
> was available in stores everywhere, without a
> prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
> which were also available.
>
> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
> medications. What is the availability of :
>
> Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg

I have to sau this:-

What's the problem with taking it WITH you? I know for a
fact that I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to chance when it came
to my continued supply of my favourite drug, and the best
way to ensure continuation is carry a bagful with you.

> If these are not available, what are the equivalent meds
> that are available?

I wouldn't think this was a good time to experiment.

Beav

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:57:57 -0000, "Beav"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hello group,
>>
>> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
>> months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
>> recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
>> was available in stores everywhere, without a
>> prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
>> which were also available.
>>
>> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
>> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
>> medications. What is the availability of :
>>
>> Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg
>
>I have to sau this:-
>
>What's the problem with taking it WITH you? I know for a
>fact that I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to chance when it came
>to my continued supply of my favourite drug, and the best
>way to ensure continuation is carry a bagful with you.
>>
>> If these are not available, what are the equivalent meds
>> that are available?
>
>I wouldn't think this was a good time to experiment.
>
>Beav

Beav,

I will be in Russia and Ukraine for an extended but
undetermined length of time. I have a 6 month supply to take
with me, but I could be overseas for more than a year. If
there are equivalents, why try to take more? Also, there's a
70 lb weight limit on luggage. ;0)

LOL

"*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:57:57 -0000, "Beav"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Hello group,
> >>
> >> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for
> >> 6 months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6
> >> weeks recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus
> >> infection. It was available in stores everywhere,
> >> without a prescription. I looked for a couple other
> >> common drugs, which were also available.
> >>
> >> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
> >> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
> >> medications. What is the availability of :
> >>
> >> Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg
> >
> >I have to sau this:-
> >
> >What's the problem with taking it WITH you? I know for a
> >fact that I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to chance when it
> >came to my continued supply of
my
> >favourite drug, and the best way to ensure continuation
> >is carry a bagful with you.
> >>
> >> If these are not available, what are the equivalent
> >> meds that are available?
> >
> >I wouldn't think this was a good time to experiment.
> >
> >Beav
> >

> Beav,
>
> I will be in Russia and Ukraine for an extended but
> undetermined length of time. I have a 6 month supply
> to take with me, but I could be overseas for more
> than a year.

Well in that case, you've got 6 months to find a real
supplier (as opposed to a "try this chain, or that chain"
from someone on here that may or may not have been to Russia
in a while. I know that when I used to go to Sweden for
extended periods, I'd take a few weeks supply with me, and
go to the largest pharmacy in town (or the only one;-) and
check if they stocked what I needed. I had a buufer supply
if they didn't which was all I ever needed.

If there are equivalents, why try
> to take more?

Well equivs are Ok if you can't get what you normally use,
but I like the "same same" when I get a script refill

Also, there's a 70 lb weight limit on luggage. ;0)

Ahh, you're just being a cheap bugger now:)) A thought
too.... you could get your home town pharmacy to send it to
your Russian address if things get REALLY hard, but it's my
guess that you'll get your normal stuff over there these
days Maybe not on the 70's and 80's, but thankfully things
have moved on and (hopefully) improved.

Beav