Kill 'em all!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zog The Undenia, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

  3. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    eliminate monotony

  4. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    g.daniels wrote:
    > eliminate monotony

    But, but...you say that all the time!

    Bill "confounded" S.

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > g.daniels wrote:
    > > eliminate monotony
    >
    > But, but...you say that all the time!

    Get it straight, Bill. It's butbutbutbutbut ....

    Robin Hubert

  6. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Robin Hubert wrote:
    > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    >> g.daniels wrote:
    >>> eliminate monotony
    >>
    >> But, but...you say that all the time!
    >
    > Get it straight, Bill. It's butbutbutbutbut ....

    Less roughage.

    Bill "barumbum" S.

  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:55:23 GMT, "Robin Hubert"
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:%[email protected]...
    >> g.daniels wrote:
    >> > eliminate monotony
    >>
    >> But, but...you say that all the time!
    >
    >Get it straight, Bill. It's butbutbutbutbut ....

    Until you open the throttle too fast, then it's coughsputterdie.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  8. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    well, ifn yawl can't find something to do at this juncture...

    but one rider suggested a set of hardwood rollers, a sixpack, and some stones-metallica-savoy brown
    tapes wud set yawl up right.

  9. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 30 Jan 2004 08:59:14 -0800, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:
    >well, ifn yawl can't find something to do at this juncture...

    If'n you aint the grandaddy of all liars! The little critters of nature... They don't know that
    they're ugly! That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumblebee! <scottish accent>I told you I'd shoot!
    But you didn't believe me! Why didn't you believe me?!</scottish accent>

    Who would have thought that there was a Ren & Stimpy faq...

    >but one rider suggested a set of hardwood rollers, a sixpack, and some

    Hardwood rollers? If I only had a lathe.

    I wonder if I can do it with kitchen rolling pins...I could screw a discarded front hub to one side,
    rear to the other, and connect the front roller to the rear with a bike chain. Hah! The answer to my
    "Roll your own rollers" thread, finally!

    It might actually work. I'll have to photo-document it if I do it.

    Materials: Three 2x4s, three kitchen rolling pins, 4 front hubs, 2 rear hubs with
    cassettes/freewheels, a couple chains to join, an old derailer as a tension arm, misc screws.

    I may be more coherent, but I'm no more sane than you are.

    >stones-metallica-savoy brown tapes wud set yawl up right.

    Stones-Megadeth-Sawyer Brown more likely. Throw in some Toby Keith for good measure.

    Hmm...gotta get some damn rollers and try Megadeth as motivational music.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  10. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > I wonder if I can do it with kitchen rolling pins...I could screw a discarded front hub to one
    > side, rear to the other, and connect the front roller to the rear with a bike chain.

    A good rolling pin should have bearings built in; no need to add the hubs. And you could eliminate
    the chain if you spun the rolling pin with the back wheel of the bike while someone else carved a
    groove for a belt. Sort of a dangerous homemade lathe.

    I don't suspect the bearings or the roundness of the rolling pin are much good for the required
    speed, though.

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:13:21 -0500, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >A good rolling pin should have bearings built in; no need to add the

    I wouldn't use a good one; remember, I'm trying to be a cheap bastard here.

    >hubs. And you could eliminate the chain if you spun the rolling pin with the back wheel of the bike
    >while someone else carved a groove for a belt. Sort of a dangerous homemade lathe.

    Wow! Human Powered Lathe. I could make a whole setup out of it...then I'd have a nice lathe. I
    could...umm...turn stuff.

    >I don't suspect the bearings or the roundness of the rolling pin are much good for the required
    >speed, though.

    Maybe I have to go back to the previous idea of schedule 40 PVC pipe. Any idea if that's
    sufficiently round, or for that matter, strong?

    --
    Rick Onanian

  12. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > Maybe I have to go back to the previous idea of schedule 40 PVC pipe. Any idea if that's
    > sufficiently round, or for that matter, strong?

    It's not typically very round. Take a short scrap piece and roll it fast over a smooth floor. It
    might be strong enough, so maybe you could put it together and use your human-powered lathe to
    round it out.

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  13. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/marinoni_pista7.jpg
    http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/DSC01133.jpg
    http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/DSC00722.JPG (*big* file)
    http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/io_dog.jpg (against wall)

    >Hmm...gotta get some damn rollers and try Megadeth as motivational music.

    Roller music is googleable. Vivaldi's never mentioned.
    -------------------------------
    John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twenty-first year. Our catalogue of track
    equipment: eighth year online. http://www.businesscycles.com

  14. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:46:01 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On 30 Jan 2004 08:59:14 -0800, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:
    >
    > >>but one rider suggested a set of hardwood rollers, a sixpack, and some
    > >
    > >Hardwood rollers? If I only had a lathe.
    >
    > http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/marinoni_pista7.jpg
    > http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/DSC01133.jpg
    > http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/DSC00722.JPG (*big* file)
    > http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/io_dog.jpg (against wall)
    >

    > >Hmm...gotta get some damn rollers and try Megadeth as motivational music.
    >
    > Roller music is googleable. Vivaldi's never mentioned.
    > -------------------------------
    > John Dacey

    Dear John,

    A larger model of this kind of roller would let you roam freely around the shop:

    http://www.petsmart.com/small%5Fanimal/shopping/the%5Fhamster%5F%5F%5Fgerbil%5Fshop/toys/products/p-
    roduct%5F27153.shtml

    Alas, Vivaldi wrote nothing for hamsters.

    Carl Fogel

  15. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    "Nimia familiaritas parit contemptum." - Syrus
    On 30 Jan 2004 19:27:20 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
    wrote:

    >John Dacey wrote...

    >> Roller music is googleable. Vivaldi's never mentioned.

    >Alas, Vivaldi wrote nothing for hamsters.

    Quite. The "Rote Priest" appealed mostly to lemmings.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida http://www.businesscycles.com Now in our twenty-first
    year. Our catalog of track equipment: eighth year online
    -------------------------------

  16. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Nimia familiaritas parit contemptum." - Syrus On 30 Jan 2004 19:27:20 -0800,
    > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >
    > >John Dacey wrote...
    >
    > >> Roller music is googleable. Vivaldi's never mentioned.
    >

    > >Alas, Vivaldi wrote nothing for hamsters.
    >
    > Quite. The "Rote Priest" appealed mostly to lemmings.

    > John Dacey

    Dear John,

    Touché!

    Carl Fogel