Killer driver justice- American style

spindrift

Guest
Laughing jailhouse phone call gets woman tough sentence.

TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- A judge sentenced a woman to nearly the
maximum prison term for negligent homicide after hearing a recorded
jail conversation in which she made light of the bicyclist she
killed.

Melissa Arrington, 27, was convicted two months ago of negligent
homicide and two counts of aggravated DUI in connection with the
December 2006 death of Paul L'Ecuyer.

She could have gotten as few as four years behind bars, but Superior
Court Judge Michael Cruikshank sentenced her Tuesday to 10½ years --
one year shy of the maximum.

Cruikshank said he found a telephone conversation between Arrington
and an unknown male friend, a week after L'Ecuyer was killed, to be
"breathtaking in its inhumanity."
During the conversation, the man told Arrington that an acquaintance
believed she should get a medal and a parade because she had "taken
out" a "tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one
shot."
Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing
to say, she responded, "No, it's not."

Assistant Public Defender Michael Rosenbluth told the judge his client
has never been "cold, callous or flippant" about L'Ecuyer's death and
has always felt remorseful.

Arrington said words couldn't express how she feels, and that once
she's out of prison, she hopes to share her story with Mothers Against
Drunk Driving.

L'Ecuyer, 45, was riding his bike the night of December 1, 2006 when
Arrington swerved off the road, hit him and then continued for 800
feet before stopping, according to Deputy Pima County Attorney
Jonathan Mosher.

Arrington's blood-alcohol content was .156 percent, nearly double
Arizona's .08 legal limit. She had been driving on a suspended
license.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwi...ce_afterall_when_you_kill_a_cyclist_P1644272/

spindrift wrote:
> Laughing jailhouse phone call gets woman tough sentence.

I would like to think that a lot of the jail sentence was the drinking
and the suspended licence.

> She could have gotten as few as four years behind bars, but Superior
> Court Judge Michael Cruikshank sentenced her Tuesday to 10½ years --
> one year shy of the maximum.

> Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing
> to say, she responded, "No, it's not."

> Arrington's blood-alcohol content was .156 percent, nearly double
> Arizona's .08 legal limit. She had been driving on a suspended
> license.

UK limit is 80mg per 100ml of blood, i.e. the same as Arizona's if the
0.08 limit is by weight.

On 24 Jan, 14:57, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> spindrift wrote:
> > Laughing jailhouse phone call gets woman tough sentence.

> I would like to think that a lot of the jail sentence was the drinking
> and the suspended licence.
>
> > She could have gotten as few as four years behind bars, but Superior
> > Court Judge Michael Cruikshank sentenced her Tuesday to 10½ years --
> > one year shy of the maximum.
> > Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing
> > to say, she responded, "No, it's not."
> > Arrington's blood-alcohol content was .156 percent, nearly double
> > Arizona's .08 legal limit. She had been driving on a suspended
> > license.

> UK limit is 80mg per 100ml of blood, i.e. the same as Arizona's if the
> 0.08 limit is by weight.

I'm always suspicious of expressions of remorse by drivers who kill,
especially when a driving ban is flouted soon afterwards, as happened
when the father of a victim of a drunk driver followed the killer and
filmed him behind the wheel after he was banned.

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:33:41 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
spindrift <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Cruikshank said he found a telephone conversation between Arrington
>and an unknown male friend, a week after L'Ecuyer was killed, to be
>"breathtaking in its inhumanity."
>During the conversation, the man told Arrington that an acquaintance
>believed she should get a medal and a parade because she had "taken
>out" a "tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one
>shot."
>Arrington laughed. When the man said he knew it was a terrible thing
>to say, she responded, "No, it's not."
>

>Assistant Public Defender Michael Rosenbluth told the judge his client
>has never been "cold, callous or flippant" about L'Ecuyer's death and
>has always felt remorseful.

If this bod claimed this after the telephone call was revealed then
it sounds as if he was deliberately misleading the court.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

I think, and I'm not joking, that she deserves to be executed.