Killer Rosella

MikeyOz

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
just thought I would share this mildly amusing story.....

while out for an easy ride sunday with my brother, cruising along when all of sudden out of the deep dark green scrub came the "killer Rosella", I had time for a quick thought and a mere second or so to duck my head and have the Rosella bounce of my helmet and back off into the bushes again, after doing a check, helmet in 1 piece, no damage, slightly dazed for a few seconds and then counted my lucky stars in did not have a Rosella implanted in my face, instead it just bounced off my helmet.

so im not sure now if the Rosella was being chased
or
it was a Rosella game and they were in the tree afterwards talking about how they scared the c**p out of that one.

anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a Rosella "basher"

MikeyOz said:
anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a Rosella "basher"

I have an ongoing "thing" with a certain brown duck on teh Lake Burley Griffen bike path. It seems to single me out for a hissing charge every now and then to protect it's flock of little ducklings. One morning Mr & Mrs Duck and all the little ducklings were on the bike path and I had no where to go around them. Mrs Duck flew at my head, I "ducked" and she bounced off. Mr Duck landed on the rack of my recumbent and started pecking me in the back of the helmet. Meanwhile Mrs Duck had done a U-turn and could be seen in my mirror trying to catch up for some more fun.

Psycho Ducks!

Pete

MikeyOz wrote:

> anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to
> the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a
> Rosella "basher"

I had a seagull get cornered in the triangle section of my bike. Since I had
continued pedalling, when it tried to move to one side, my foot would come
around and stop it, on the other side, the other foot.

Evenutally I unlclipped both feet and kicked the damn thing out.

Geeze, you'd think the bike was made of chips.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

On 2005-03-30, John Tserkezis <[email protected]> wrote:
> I had a seagull get cornered in the triangle section of my bike.
> Since I had continued pedalling, when it tried to move to one
> side, my foot would come around and stop it, on the other side,
> the other foot.
>
> Evenutally I unlclipped both feet and kicked the damn thing out.
>
> Geeze, you'd think the bike was made of chips.

*snickers* That would have been worth seeing.

One guy I know likes to feed seagulls soluble aspirin, or other
substances that emit gas when they come into contact with water.
According to him, seagulls can't burp, and they can't release gas out
the other end, either...

Stuart Lamble wrote:

>>Evenutally I unlclipped both feet and kicked the damn thing out.
>>Geeze, you'd think the bike was made of chips.

> *snickers* That would have been worth seeing.

The beachgoers thought I was being cruel, but they were the idiots throwing
chips on the bike path in the first place..

> One guy I know likes to feed seagulls soluble aspirin, or other
> substances that emit gas when they come into contact with water.
> According to him, seagulls can't burp, and they can't release gas out
> the other end, either...

Heard about that one just recently (not being a deliquent myself...).

Apparently, soluble antacid tablets work better, broken up and pushed into
chips. If they get enough of a gutfull in one go, they apparently explode.
Well, parts of their insides end up outside anyway...

Or so I've been told... Not being a delinquent myself you understand...
--

John Tserkezis wrote:
> I had a seagull get cornered in the triangle section of my bike. Since
> I had continued pedalling, when it tried to move to one side, my foot
> would come around and stop it, on the other side, the other foot.
>
> Evenutally I unlclipped both feet and kicked the damn thing out.
>
> Geeze, you'd think the bike was made of chips.

Birds and chips eh?
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-715
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-718

hippy

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> just thought I would share this mildly amusing story.....
>
> while out for an easy ride sunday with my brother, cruising along when
> all of sudden out of the deep dark green scrub came the "killer
> Rosella", I had time for a quick thought and a mere second or so to
> duck my head and have the Rosella bounce of my helmet and back off into
> the bushes again, after doing a check, helmet in 1 piece, no damage,
> slightly dazed for a few seconds and then counted my lucky stars in did
> not have a Rosella implanted in my face, instead it just bounced off my
> helmet.
>
> so im not sure now if the Rosella was being chased
> or
> it was a Rosella game and they were in the tree afterwards talking
> about how they scared the c**p out of that one.
>
> anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to
> the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a
> Rosella "basher"

I can't say that I've ever had a bird hit my helmet or face, but I do recall
an incident many years ago when two geese flew into the bunch during a crit,
they took down half the field. The geese waddled away relatively unscathed,
I'm sure they were wondering what the fsck hit them though.

hippy wrote:

> John Tserkezis wrote:
>
>> I had a seagull get cornered in the triangle section of my bike.
>> Since I had continued pedalling, when it tried to move to one side, my
>> foot would come around and stop it, on the other side, the other foot.
>>
>> Evenutally I unlclipped both feet and kicked the damn thing out.
>>
>> Geeze, you'd think the bike was made of chips.

> Birds and chips eh?
> http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-715
> http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-718
>
> hippy

So Hippy, is it true that you have a picture in your gallery that fits
in every thread?

:)

--
Brett

Brett said:
So Hippy, is it true that you have a picture in your gallery that fits
in every thread?

<kelvin kunnington snigger> yeah. wot about one for pigmies and lube? </kelvin kunnington snigger>

FFsake dont post a link if you do! :D

I got hit in the right cheekbone by a (guessin cos all i was seeing was stars!) noisy minah along the anniversary trail in Glen Iris way before xma s at the height of birdy-breedin season.
Drew blood and gave me one hell of a whack!

before that its just been minor taps or snaps above helmet in stuka-attacks.

Back in2IT wrote:

> "MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>just thought I would share this mildly amusing story.....
>>
>>while out for an easy ride sunday with my brother, cruising along when
>>all of sudden out of the deep dark green scrub came the "killer
>>Rosella", I had time for a quick thought and a mere second or so to
>>duck my head and have the Rosella bounce of my helmet and back off into
>>the bushes again, after doing a check, helmet in 1 piece, no damage,
>>slightly dazed for a few seconds and then counted my lucky stars in did
>>not have a Rosella implanted in my face, instead it just bounced off my
>>helmet.
>>
>>so im not sure now if the Rosella was being chased
>>or
>>it was a Rosella game and they were in the tree afterwards talking
>>about how they scared the c**p out of that one.
>>
>>anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to
>>the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a
>>Rosella "basher"

> I can't say that I've ever had a bird hit my helmet or face, but I do recall
> an incident many years ago when two geese flew into the bunch during a crit,
> they took down half the field. The geese waddled away relatively unscathed,
> I'm sure they were wondering what the fsck hit them though.
>

>>--
>>MikeyOz

Not hit and no injury but I can remember on a bike tour, riding along a
unsealed road near Kieth in SA, a huge eagle flew alongside me for
about 50m. I'm sure he was eying me off. I didn't know whether to
watch the bird or the road. It's an image that's stayed with me for a
couple of decades.

Duncan.

MikeyOz said:
anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a Rosella "basher"

whilst out riding horses at a solid trot through a pine plantation with a friend (she was in front of me, so I got to witness the spectacle), an owl "fell" out of a tree and right into her lap!! It flapped and fluffed and took off (seemed to do 3 somersaults in her lap before it got itself right and took off). Rider and horse startled but unharmed.

MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ??

I had a very close escape at the weekend. I wasn't on my bike, I was just
walking from where my tent was pitched (down near Margaret River) and a
magpie flew past with a screech and its wing brushed past my face. Luckily
the hawk that was chasing it with talons outstretched reacted fast enough
not to embed itself into my head. They then both landed in different trees
and I'm sure the hawk was giving me an evil look for making it miss its
breakfast!

Graeme

flyingdutch wrote:
> Brett Wrote:
>>So Hippy, is it true that you have a picture in your gallery that fits
>>in every thread?

Almost. :)

> <kelvin kunnington snigger> yeah. wot about one for pigmies and lube?
> </kelvin kunnington snigger>
>
> FFsake dont post a link if you do! :D

I'll send it direct to you.. :D

hippy

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:24:53 +1000, MikeyOz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to
>the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a
>Rosella "basher"

There is a bird (noisy minor?) that guards a section of laneway near
my place and in spring it repeatedly dive bombs everybody passing
through. It normally just thuds off my helmet, however, once it got
its foot caught in the top of the helmet and ended up dangling infront
of my face flapping and squawking, causing me to crash. It took off
before I could break its neck.

dewatf.

MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as
> to the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a
> Rosella "basher"

Does getting shat on by a Bramani Kite (sea eagle) count?

3 Emus and one bustard (scrub turkey) so far. Only one a bike (way out
west near Longreach). I was riding between Barcaldine and Longreach for
no particular reason (it's about 90k one way) minding my own business
about ten years ago, sans helmet. It came charging in from the side
collected the front wheel rolled over and kept going in a cloud of
feathers. I'm sure that the other two (standing off to one side the
whole time) were giving scores for it's efforts.

I of course had to ride the 20 or so k's to Longreach missing half my
skin with a bent headset/bars/forks after pulling off the front brake.

The Emus out that way still seem to try to beat cars and motorbikes. We
ate the windscreen in a work car at about 160 one evening. Schiess
everywhere. The funny thing is that many of them seem to get rolled
under the 4wds and keep going.

Cheers
Brett

John Tserkezis said:
I had a seagull get cornered in the triangle section of my bike. Since I had
continued pedalling, when it tried to move to one side, my foot would come
around and stop it, on the other side, the other foot.

I had a canberra bird try and fly thru the bottom triangle from the left, it kept bouncing until the path curved? (long time ago).

I had monarch butterfly fluttering between my drops as I inched up to Norton Summit.

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> just thought I would share this mildly amusing story.....
>
> while out for an easy ride sunday with my brother, cruising along when
> all of sudden out of the deep dark green scrub came the "killer
> Rosella", I had time for a quick thought and a mere second or so to
> duck my head and have the Rosella bounce of my helmet and back off into
> the bushes again, after doing a check, helmet in 1 piece, no damage,
> slightly dazed for a few seconds and then counted my lucky stars in did
> not have a Rosella implanted in my face, instead it just bounced off my
> helmet.
>
> so im not sure now if the Rosella was being chased
> or
> it was a Rosella game and they were in the tree afterwards talking
> about how they scared the c**p out of that one.
>
> anyone else copped a bird in the face or helmet ?? just wondering as to
> the frequency of these incidents ???? My wife has now labelled me a
> Rosella "basher"
> --
> MikeyOz

I had a lovely looking finch fly into the front spokes on the Yarra Trail
earlier this year.....he stuck in there for 50m or so and then flew out
vertically and nearly sconed me in the head.

About 4 years ago, a mate of mine was a Physical Training Instructor at RMC
in Canberra and used to ride his mtb to work every day. There is a road
that is closed to cars that goes from near Russell Offices, over the hill,
and then comes out near the RMC gymnasium. My mate Adam was hooting down
here one morning at about 0530h....it was pitch black apart from his
headlight. He says he was doing about 40km/h when a kangaroo jumped out
from the side of the road and he has hit it dead smack in the middle. Both
he and Skippy went down pretty hard and Adam reckons that as he sat up (a
bit groggily), the kangaroo sat up too.....they had a bit of "a moment"
where they both stared at each other for a few seconds....and then Skippy
got up and hopped away (Adam swears he was limping but I am not sure how a
kangaroo limps??).

My mate was a bit of a mess and ended up with some damage to his shoulder
and minor concussion.

Ride On,

Gags

"Brett" wrote
snip . . .

Only one a bike (way out
> west near Longreach). I was riding between Barcaldine and Longreach for
> no particular reason (it's about 90k one way) minding my own business
> about ten years ago . . . . .

Just curious, I lived in Longreach in '94. Were you in Longreach then, and
what were you doing? I knew a school teacher in Longreach then who was a
keen cyclist. Cannot remember his name though.

Bjay

"bjay" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:h%[email protected]:

> "Brett" wrote
> snip . . .
>
> Only one a bike (way out
>> west near Longreach). I was riding between Barcaldine and Longreach
>> for no particular reason (it's about 90k one way) minding my own
>> business about ten years ago . . . . .

> Just curious, I lived in Longreach in '94. Were you in Longreach
> then, and what were you doing? I knew a school teacher in Longreach
> then who was a keen cyclist. Cannot remember his name though.
>
> Bjay

No, I'm an engineer and I was in Barcaldine in 95/96 for varying periods
on contracts.

Cheers

Brett