killfiling

Lurker

Guest
Just out of curiousity, when the folks on this group "killfile" someone,
do you take the time to actually respond with a <plonk> remark or do
you just add them into your file? I have never killfiled anyone. I just
mark entire threads as "ignore" instead.

Just curious as it seems to me the act of responding with a <plonk> is
just egging the undesirable on to further the groups suffering.

--
Lurker

300_30%_31yo/???_??%/245_15%_32yo
Miracle of Medicine
http://jamesrobert.us

In article <[email protected]>,
Lurker <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, when the folks on this group "killfile" someone,
> do you take the time to actually respond with a <plonk> remark or do
> you just add them into your file? I have never killfiled anyone. I just
> mark entire threads as "ignore" instead.
>
> Just curious as it seems to me the act of responding with a <plonk> is
> just egging the undesirable on to further the groups suffering.

I usually just filter silently, without a <plonk> post. When I do
(occasionally) publicly plonk somebody, it's because of particularly
egregious posting. For instance, if somebody makes incorrigibly racist
postings, I might make a public plonk post. However, if they just post
in a way that annoys me (for instance, somebody who can't be bothered to
quote what they're replying to), I just killfile silently.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

People "plonk" when they want the plonkee to know he's being plonked. Most
annoying plonkees enjoy the attention, if you plonk them they know they have
gotten under your skin. I think it is best to just ignore them, if everyone
in a group does so they will go somewhere else to seek attention. However,
it's very difficult to get everyone to exert that much self control. I
seldom killfile anyone, I read their posts for amusement. When I am in a
bad mood they make a good target for my peckishness rather than taking it
out on a naive newby.

In news:[email protected],
Alice Faber <[email protected]> stated
| In article <[email protected]>,
| Lurker <[email protected]> wrote:
|
|| Just out of curiousity, when the folks on this group "killfile"
|| someone, do you take the time to actually respond with a <plonk>
|| remark or do you just add them into your file? I have never
|| killfiled anyone. I just mark entire threads as "ignore" instead.
|| Just curious as it seems to me the act of responding with a <plonk>
|| is just egging the undesirable on to further the groups suffering.
|
| I usually just filter silently, without a <plonk> post. When I do
| (occasionally) publicly plonk somebody, it's because of particularly
| egregious posting. For instance, if somebody makes incorrigibly racist
| postings, I might make a public plonk post. However, if they just post
| in a way that annoys me (for instance, somebody who can't be bothered
| to quote what they're replying to), I just killfile silently.

I simply killfile without <plonk>ing. There's no point giving the a$$holes
I'm killfiling the attention that they're obviously seeking.

on Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:49:37 -0800, Lurker <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Just out of curiousity, when the folks on this group "killfile" someone,
> do you take the time to actually respond with a <plonk> remark or do
>you just add them into your file? I have never killfiled anyone. I just
>mark entire threads as "ignore" instead.
>
>Just curious as it seems to me the act of responding with a <plonk> is
>just egging the undesirable on to further the groups suffering.

-----
Bev

>Just curious as it seems to me the act of responding with a <plonk> is
>just egging the undesirable on to further the groups suffering.

That's how I see it, too. I killfile someone quietly and just get to
ignore their annoying behaviour. When a thread turns into (or starts
out as) responses to someone annoying with no other content (such as
Chung's 2PD) I just kill the whole thread and go on my way.

Much less stressful for me, and people who really ENJOY that kind of
thing can still do their stuff.

Aramanth

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Just out of curiousity, when the folks on this group "killfile" someone,
> do you take the time to actually respond with a <plonk> remark or do
> you just add them into your file? I have never killfiled anyone. I just
> mark entire threads as "ignore" instead.
>
> Just curious as it seems to me the act of responding with a <plonk> is
> just egging the undesirable on to further the groups suffering.

I've very rarely publicly plonked someone, although my filters are
certainly FULL of plonked people & subjects. I sometimes RECOMMEND that
someone be plonked if the poster is an obvious asshole or otherwise
annoying, though. I don't do it to **** of the offending poster, though
-- it's more to make life easier for someone else who is getting worked
up over something (and easier for me so I don't have to keep reading the
angry responses. An angry PLONK! might make someone feel better to post
it, but it rarely has any effect on the plonkee other than to make them
feel "special", so what's the point? It's certainly not going to change
THEIR posting habits. I DO sometimes point out trolls, but I consider
that to be a different category.

There was ONE occasion where I deliberately mentioned, more as an
observer than a participant in an ongoing discussion, that I had given
up two weeks earlier and finally killfiled someone. I had not said
anything at the time I "plonked" her because I'm something of a long-
standing net celebrity in that group, and I knew that if *I* made a
point of it, other people would too, just because *I* did, and I wasn't
comfortable having that kind of influence in what would amount to a
powerplay, especially since the poster wasn't an asshole so much as she
was just habitually negative and tiresome and her posts almost ALWAYS
left me feeling vaguely cranky, and who needs THAT? They were made more
tiresome, however, when other people dragged them out. Sure enough,
after I calculatingly (but casually) mentioned that I had killfiled her
two weeks earlier (so it was not in the heat of the moment of the
CURRENT discussion), she was effectively ostracized and after about a
week she quit posting there altogether because no one would respond to
her posts. I did so KNOWING that that would be the probable outcome,
but the group is much more pleasant to read now, so I felt then AND now
that I made the right decision. It WAS (and still is) kind of
unsettling, though, to find that my intuition about the power of MY
opinion in that group was correct. Newsgroup dynamics can be very
interesting to observe.

I don't HAVE that kind of power/influence in any OTHER newsgroup, so I
doubt many people would be influenced by or even care if I DID plonk
someone, so what's the point? To quietly filter and move on seems to
the best coarse of action in most cases.

--
Saffire
205/147/125 - 5'1.5"

JC Der Koenig wrote:

> Hahahaha.

Hey, this program is more reliable than Outlook.

No need to be defensive.

;-)

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

news:[email protected]...

Lilith79 wrote:
> Slightly OT-how do I killfile w/ Mozilla Thunderbird?

tools->message filters->create a filter for the person that you want to
"kill file".

So if I wanted to killfile you, just as an example,

I would make sure that I am viewing the newsgroup where I want the
filter to be effective. Go to tools->message filters->new.
I would probably name my filter after the poster that it applies to, so
in this case I would name it Lilith79. Then I would change "subject" to
"sender" and "contains" to "is" then in the last box I would put
"Lilith79". Then at the bottom I would choose "delete the message" and
hit o.k. Then close the message filter box that is still there after
hitting o.k. by clicking the little x in the upper right hand corner and
you should be set to go.

I hope that you don't take my level of detail personally. I just find it
is easier to give very detailed instructions the first time and avoid
being asked all the things I forgot to mention.

--
Lurker

Lurker wrote:

> Lilith79 wrote:
>
>> Slightly OT-how do I killfile w/ Mozilla Thunderbird?

> tools->message filters->create a filter for the person that you want to
> "kill file".
>
> So if I wanted to killfile you, just as an example,
>
> I would make sure that I am viewing the newsgroup where I want the
> filter to be effective. Go to tools->message filters->new.
> I would probably name my filter after the poster that it applies to, so
> in this case I would name it Lilith79. Then I would change "subject" to
> "sender" and "contains" to "is" then in the last box I would put
> "Lilith79". Then at the bottom I would choose "delete the message" and
> hit o.k. Then close the message filter box that is still there after
> hitting o.k. by clicking the little x in the upper right hand corner and
> you should be set to go.
>
> I hope that you don't take my level of detail personally. I just find it
> is easier to give very detailed instructions the first time and avoid
> being asked all the things I forgot to mention.

Thank you.

Lilith79 wrote:
> Slightly OT-how do I killfile w/ Mozilla Thunderbird?

Open the post of the person you want to add to your filter. Right-click
on the persons name and select "create filter from message". Have fun