Kilo at L.A. World Cup

Discussion in 'Track Racing' started by Meek One, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Meek One

Meek One New Member

So with 3 US teams, no one even enters the kilo! Now I know we don't have any competitive kilo riders on a world level, but if you notice the fact that the World sent their JV squad we could have at least ridden it without worries of coming in last (1:13 :eek: ). I know several sub 1:10 riders who would have cherished the opportunity to ride in the Cup for the Stars and Stripes. I know the World has downplayed the event since the UCI :mad: decided to remove it from the Olympics, but still we could have at least represented, especially on our home turf. Just thinking aloud...

Results: http://www.tissottiming.com/sports/...angeles/Mens_1Km_Time_Trial_Final_Results.pdf

Tags:

2. FixedGearFever

FixedGearFever New Member

The UCI really changed things when they eliminated it from the Olympics. There is no real incentive to specialize in the Kilo.

Spike really doesn't have a Kilo rider, TIAA-Cref DEFINITELY does not. CKR Racing is not s UCI team, so they are at the mercy of USA Cycling. USA Cycling's job is to get people to the OLYMPICS....

-jsp

3. Meek One

Meek One New Member

I understand the point you made. Funny how USA cycling has the obligation to get people to the Olympics yet also wants to make money. I think that because the World Cup(s) occur(s) far more often than the Olympics and when on U.S. soil it might spur some (any?) national interest if we had at least ONE American racing the different events so at least there would be someone to cheer for and get the fans involved. I thought Massie had been training for the kilo, having hit a wall around 10.8 or 10.9 in the 200m for the last few seasons, which he ran yet again in L.A.. With all of the training they do he should be good for a sub 1:07 if not substantially better. Did 'they' actually think he was going to pull a 10.5 or so like Blatchford has been and recently Stahl let alone qualify for the sweet 16? Then again I guess he probably went back to the 200 after the kilo was eliminated. Still he could have run thre kilo since he has years to wait for the next Olympics. I can understand former kilo rider/200m Stahl peaking for the show and he did well. Congrats to Blatch. It's been a while that there was American on the podium in a sprint event. Damn shame what they did to Lindstrom a few years back. Brad Huff is the man too, and Sarah Hammer...definitely Hammer time. :D

4. FixedGearFever

FixedGearFever New Member

Wait... when did their goal become to make money? There aren't a lot of people at USAC getting rich?

The talent pool is not that deep. Christian Stahl could have ridden the keirin, but wouldn't it make sense to let him try for events that he could go to the big show? I can see your point, but... overall, you are looking at something negative here, instead of focussing on the US medal count... which, IMHO was impressive!

I will admit, I have not followed G, but I haven't heard anything about him training for the Kilo. In addition, USAC had NOTHING to say about what G rode. USAC didn't take him, Spike did.

I keep hearing about what they did to Lindstrom, however when I look at electronic timing and/or results, it seems like sour grapes.

Alfred... and entirely different story, but ...

-jsp