Kilo/Pursuit frames for general racing as well?

xcspace

Sep 5, 2003
I'm looking into getting back onto the track and the frames have changed since I raced 25 years ago. The Kilo/Pursuit frames often have deep aero tubing for the down tube and seat tube. If these are more aero-dynamic, can they be used for sprint and mass start races as well? This is assuming of course that the frame dimensions are adequate for different positions by swapping out the bars & stem and possibly adjusting the seat or getting a frame dimensioned for general racing but using the oval tubes. The BT bikes are considered to be very aero and seem to be used in all types of events.

Also, it seems that many track frames are Aluminum. Titanium would seem to be a lighter choice, but do most racers use AL because weight is not a major factor and AL is cheaper and easier to obtain, or does an AL frame feel better and stiffer on the track (whereas I perfer Ti on the road)?

xcspace said:
I'm looking into getting back onto the track and the frames have changed since I raced 25 years ago. The Kilo/Pursuit frames often have deep aero tubing for the down tube and seat tube. If these are more aero-dynamic, can they be used for sprint and mass start races as well? This is assuming of course that the frame dimensions are adequate for different positions by swapping out the bars & stem and possibly adjusting the seat or getting a frame dimensioned for general racing but using the oval tubes. The BT bikes are considered to be very aero and seem to be used in all types of events.

Also, it seems that many track frames are Aluminum. Titanium would seem to be a lighter choice, but do most racers use AL because weight is not a major factor and AL is cheaper and easier to obtain, or does an AL frame feel better and stiffer on the track (whereas I perfer Ti on the road)?
Then maybe this here litespeed is for you

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7110222758&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

hope you find this in time, very nice frame.

xcspace said:

The frame dimensions for a track bike as far as angles are concerned are usually the same. Some bikes have different dimensions for different events. Sprint bikes tend to have a higher bottom bracket than a pursuit or endurance specific track bike. As far as I can tell, having a more aerodynamic seat tube would seem to be an advantage in any race, sprint or mass start. The BT bikes are very aerodynamic, but the reason that you see them being used in all types of events is that the company manufactures an endurance specific bike, and a sprint specific bike. The sprint bike has a 20 cm higher bottom bracket for clearance at low speeds on the banking. The aerodynamic shape is also an asset, as well as the stiffness nd weight because they are manufactured of carbon fiber. This also makes them very expensive. The reason you see most track bikes made of aluminum is cost. Manufacturers do not produce or sell many track frames. This makes the production of the track model more expensive. You can't just make a road bike with horizontal dropouts. Different geometry necessitates a new production line. Aluminum is inexpensive, easily shaped, and lightweight. These are the reasons most track frames are aluminum. The very dedicated trackie will sport a carbon fiber frame. Better stiffness and weight. Ti is not the greatest frame for track because it flexes. great for road though because it also absorbs vibrations.

taras

Does anyone have an opinion on Cannodale's track frame? I ride cdale on the road and overall like them for their stiffness. I will be doing sprint events on the track next year.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it and the responses verify what I had assumed.

I had seen the Ti track bike on eBay, but it is too large for me. It is advertised as good in all events and stiff due to the large tubing. I've found a Ti manufacturer that can use large tubes at a reasonable cost (I was considering slightly smaller oval tubes (than on that Litespeed) for the down tube and seat tube, with a round top tube), so I was hoping that it would be stiff enough.

I had also seen the BT website and noticed the 20 cm difference. I'm speculating that the tracks I attend will not be steeply banked and that I could get away with the lower BB, which is about the same as what I rode 25 years ago. I would think my chances would be rather slim to find an aero carbon track bike at a reasonable cost (five grand for a frameset seems too high for a re-entry into the arena prior to testing myself against top riders).

I need about a 53 and so far everything on eBay has been too big, too small, or too low quality. I don't live near a track (currently in Tucson AZ), so there's no good resource of local used machines. So I may need to order a custom bike and the Ti frames did not seem to be priced too high when compared to the aluminum and steel frames. I'm hoping that at 150 lbs that the Ti would still be adequately stiff (my Ti road mike seems plenty stiff). Has anyone had problems with Flexy Ti track bikes with the oval tubing?

velomanct said:
Does anyone have an opinion on Cannodale's track frame? I ride cdale on the road and overall like them for their stiffness. I will be doing sprint events on the track next year.

I have ridden Cannondale's track bike and it is plenty stiff. It is more of an all around type of bicycle (more suitable for mass start racing), although it shouldn't be a problem for sprint events. If you are going to be doing kilo's and pursuits with the bike, get it a size smaller than you normally would to allow a good aero position. I would stay away from this frame if the track you are going to br riding is bumpy though. That's my opinion.

taras

xcspace said:
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it and the responses verify what I had assumed.

I had seen the Ti track bike on eBay, but it is too large for me. It is advertised as good in all events and stiff due to the large tubing. I've found a Ti manufacturer that can use large tubes at a reasonable cost (I was considering slightly smaller oval tubes (than on that Litespeed) for the down tube and seat tube, with a round top tube), so I was hoping that it would be stiff enough.

I had also seen the BT website and noticed the 20 cm difference. I'm speculating that the tracks I attend will not be steeply banked and that I could get away with the lower BB, which is about the same as what I rode 25 years ago. I would think my chances would be rather slim to find an aero carbon track bike at a reasonable cost (five grand for a frameset seems too high for a re-entry into the arena prior to testing myself against top riders).

I need about a 53 and so far everything on eBay has been too big, too small, or too low quality. I don't live near a track (currently in Tucson AZ), so there's no good resource of local used machines. So I may need to order a custom bike and the Ti frames did not seem to be priced too high when compared to the aluminum and steel frames. I'm hoping that at 150 lbs that the Ti would still be adequately stiff (my Ti road mike seems plenty stiff). Has anyone had problems with Flexy Ti track bikes with the oval tubing?
Try the Jade track bike, Reasonable cost at $399 for the frame, and speced out as a good omnium type frame. Made of aluminum, light stiff looking, and aero. The link is:

http://www.jadecycles.com/tracksinglespeed.html

I have not ridden one, but it looks like a great value. BTW, I am not affiliated with them at all! Hope that helps, good luck!

Good luck