Kincardine Bridge & cyclists

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wallace.Shackle, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. A week or so ago a thread was running about the Kincardine & Forth Road
    Bridges and cyclists. I had a close look at the Kincardine Bridge today
    and what I saw has once again dispelled all faith in highway planners.

    Picture this...

    On the approaches to either side of the bridge there is a cycle warning sign, followed by a black
    and yellow sign stating that " Cyclists please leave road use footway 50 yards." This was followed
    by a dropped kerb and a cycle painted on the footpath and then the bomb-shell, a cyclists dismount
    sign! I could have sworn that there was shared use footpath signs on the Fife side of the bridge but
    when I looked today I could see none.

    Curiously enough I saw three cyclists on the bridge today and neither of then were using the
    footpath. One was definitely impeding the flow of traffic by cycling on the main carriageway, like
    he should be doing.

    I have not encountered a yellow background sign with black lettering and edges in a cycling context.
    I would expect that it is not a compulsory action sign, unlike the Cyclists dismount sign, and
    therefore can be ignored. QED.

    ... and why are there never any cyclists re-mount signs?

    Cheers,

    Wallace Shackleton. Kinross, Scotland.

    www.cyclekinross.org.uk

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:51:13 +0000, "wallace.shackleton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have not encountered a yellow background sign with black lettering and edges in a cycling
    >context. I would expect that it is not a compulsory action sign, unlike the Cyclists dismount sign,
    >and therefore can be ignored.

    AIUI any rectangular sign is informative not instructive. The sign which has legal meaning is the
    "no cycling" sign. Even the rectangular One Way signs are informative, being a reminder of a
    circular sign posted at the entry to the road.

    ICBW, of course.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)