Kind of a frustrating trip to the dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Lipsey

Okay, there's this road bike called the Jamis Quest that I'm sort of interested in. I'm not really
serious about buying one right now but I kind of wanted to see one in person. Since Jamis is a small
name, I wasn't really surprised to find that there are only two dealers within one hour of me. I
went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two Jamis
bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but man, they had at
least 6 or 7 Colnagos, a bunch of Diamondbacks, some Cannondales, etc. I just wonder - if you're
going to be a "dealer", shouldn't you have something to deal? Jamis has something like 20 or 25
different road or mountain bike models (plus hybrids, cruisers, and kid's bikes) and this shop has
only two? I wouldn't expect him to have each and every model in multiple sizes but geez, two bikes?
If I was more serious about buying right now perhaps I could have asked the guy to get one for me
but since I'm not, I didn't. Maybe it's not his fault. Maybe they sell so fast, he just can't keep
them in stock.

I know, I know... if I'm not going to buy one now anyway, then why am I *****ing? Well it would have
been nice to see one, maybe ride it, just to see if it is something I might want when I do buy.

My LBS is a Bianchi dealer, but doesn't have any Bianchis on the floor. Go figure....

>Robert Lipsey [email protected]

wrote in part:

>I went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two Jamis
>bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but man, they had
>at least 6 or 7 Colnagos, a bunch of Diamondbacks, some Cannondales, etc. I just wonder - if you're
>going to be a "dealer", shouldn't you have something to deal? Jamis has something like 20 or 25
>different road or mountain bike models (plus hybrids, cruisers, and kid's bikes) and this shop has
>only two?

Bikes sitting in the show floor cost the dealer money so they stock whatever accounts for most of
their sales. Call ahead next time to avoid disappointment. BTW, a good LBS will order a bike "on
approval" if it's at all possible without hurting their profit picture.

Regards, Bob Hunt

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >Robert Lipsey [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
> >I went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two
> >Jamis bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but man,
> >they had at least 6 or 7 Colnagos, a bunch of Diamondbacks, some Cannondales, etc. I just wonder
> >- if you're going to be a "dealer", shouldn't you have something to deal? Jamis has something
> >like 20 or 25 different road or mountain bike models (plus hybrids, cruisers, and kid's bikes)
> >and this shop has only two?
>
> Bikes sitting in the show floor cost the dealer money so they stock whatever accounts for most of
> their sales. Call ahead next time to avoid disappointment. BTW, a good LBS will order a bike "on
> approval" if it's at all possible without hurting their profit picture.

Yep. Mine told me that they would be willing to order one in with no obligation once I got my choice
down to 2 or 3 models and was ready to do test rides, so they would have a reasonable chance of
getting the sale. As it happened, that was the one I ended up buying, so they won the bet.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >Robert Lipsey [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
> >I went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two
> >Jamis bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but
> >man, they

Both mountain bikes? I fail to see the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.