Kind of a frustrating trip to the dealer

Robert Lipsey

Guest
Okay, there's this road bike called the Jamis Quest that I'm sort of interested in. I'm not really
serious about buying one right now but I kind of wanted to see one in person. Since Jamis is a small
name, I wasn't really surprised to find that there are only two dealers within one hour of me. I
went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two Jamis
bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but man, they had at
least 6 or 7 Colnagos, a bunch of Diamondbacks, some Cannondales, etc. I just wonder - if you're
going to be a "dealer", shouldn't you have something to deal? Jamis has something like 20 or 25
different road or mountain bike models (plus hybrids, cruisers, and kid's bikes) and this shop has
only two? I wouldn't expect him to have each and every model in multiple sizes but geez, two bikes?
If I was more serious about buying right now perhaps I could have asked the guy to get one for me
but since I'm not, I didn't. Maybe it's not his fault. Maybe they sell so fast, he just can't keep
them in stock.

I know, I know... if I'm not going to buy one now anyway, then why am I *****ing? Well it would have
been nice to see one, maybe ride it, just to see if it is something I might want when I do buy.

My LBS is a Bianchi dealer, but doesn't have any Bianchis on the floor. Go figure....

wrote in part:

>I went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two Jamis
>bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but man, they had
>at least 6 or 7 Colnagos, a bunch of Diamondbacks, some Cannondales, etc. I just wonder - if you're
>going to be a "dealer", shouldn't you have something to deal? Jamis has something like 20 or 25
>different road or mountain bike models (plus hybrids, cruisers, and kid's bikes) and this shop has
>only two?

Bikes sitting in the show floor cost the dealer money so they stock whatever accounts for most of
their sales. Call ahead next time to avoid disappointment. BTW, a good LBS will order a bike "on
approval" if it's at all possible without hurting their profit picture.

Regards, Bob Hunt

> >Robert Lipsey [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
> >I went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two
> >Jamis bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but man,
> >they had at least 6 or 7 Colnagos, a bunch of Diamondbacks, some Cannondales, etc. I just wonder
> >- if you're going to be a "dealer", shouldn't you have something to deal? Jamis has something
> >like 20 or 25 different road or mountain bike models (plus hybrids, cruisers, and kid's bikes)
> >and this shop has only two?
>
> Bikes sitting in the show floor cost the dealer money so they stock whatever accounts for most of
> their sales. Call ahead next time to avoid disappointment. BTW, a good LBS will order a bike "on
> approval" if it's at all possible without hurting their profit picture.

Yep. Mine told me that they would be willing to order one in with no obligation once I got my choice
down to 2 or 3 models and was ready to do test rides, so they would have a reasonable chance of
getting the sale. As it happened, that was the one I ended up buying, so they won the bet.

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >Robert Lipsey [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
> >I went to the closer one and was very disappointed to find that they had a grand total of two
> >Jamis bikes on the floor- both mountain bikes of course. Granted, it was a small shop but
> >man, they

Both mountain bikes? I fail to see the problem.