kinda depressing

> This sounds like a good race, but this photo:

http://images21.fotki.com/v632/photos/1/108147/4685757/MercedClassicRR171-vi
..jpg
> is a little depressing. Pro field, big banner, and no spectators -
> just a portajohn.
>
> From
> http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=10558
> --
> JT

The women's pro 1-2 road race starts at 9am, as compared to nearly 1am for
the criterium. Most people I talked to enjoyed the festive atmosphere of the
crit with the barbecue and being able to take in the relentless laps on the
circuit as roadside entertainment as they chow down on good barbie, but the
idea of driving 30 miles out of town to the lonely grape and almond orchards
to chase the finish of the road race at the crack of dawn doesn't set well
with a lot of folks, so they opt out after a good day at the crit.
Personally, I woke up so tired from all the fun on saturday, I didn't make
the road race either. Too early, no barbie, no festive entertainment just
doesn't cut it out there on those lonely back roads. It's not most peoples
idea of fun, so it's strictly for the hard core roadie fans, if they want to
go all that way to watch a few seconds of glory at the finish line.

On the other hand, the crit was packed with fans, cycling celebs, and a very
fun festive atmosphere.

Mercedians-

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:24:58 -0800, "MercoFans"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The women's pro 1-2 road race starts at 9am, as compared to nearly 1am for
>the criterium. Most people I talked to enjoyed the festive atmosphere of the
>crit with the barbecue and being able to take in the relentless laps on the
>circuit as roadside entertainment as they chow down on good barbie, but the
>idea of driving 30 miles out of town to the lonely grape and almond orchards
>to chase the finish of the road race at the crack of dawn doesn't set well
>with a lot of folks, so they opt out after a good day at the crit.
>Personally, I woke up so tired from all the fun on saturday, I didn't make
>the road race either. Too early, no barbie, no festive entertainment just
>doesn't cut it out there on those lonely back roads. It's not most peoples
>idea of fun, so it's strictly for the hard core roadie fans, if they want to
>go all that way to watch a few seconds of glory at the finish line.
>
>On the other hand, the crit was packed with fans, cycling celebs, and a very
>fun festive atmosphere.

Good to hear about the crit.
--
JT