KINDA OT: Any biking in the Caribbean? Help me enjoy my honeymoon.

bryanska

Guest
Hey everyone,

My wife wants our honeymoon to happen in the Carribbean because it's
warm (we live in Minnesota). We don't have a ton of money, and only a
week.

I'm afraid I'm just not excited about the region.

The Web is saturated with Carribbean travel websites, so I've read lots
about the region. Every destination seems to be the same! Lots of water
activities and shopping, go to the beach, hit a restaurant or two,
local shops, short inland excursions...

It all seems so boring. Is that it? It doesn't seem exciting, only a
weeklong yawn factory.

I want to explore history and culture, hit some museums, immerse myself
in stimulating activities. So obviously Europe is the place for me:
Germany, London, etc. The Caribbean has some of these things but on a
much smaller scale.

Besides, even she won't be getting much out of the vacation. I'm too
out of shape for beach activity. She won't do jungles. I won't shop
much. She's not into mingling.

Is there any hope for us? Has anyone into cycling found worthwhile
activities in the Caribbean?

She should find a different guy to marry.

"bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey everyone,
>
> My wife wants our honeymoon to happen in the Carribbean because it's
> warm (we live in Minnesota). We don't have a ton of money, and only a
> week.
>
> I'm afraid I'm just not excited about the region.
>
> The Web is saturated with Carribbean travel websites, so I've read lots
> about the region. Every destination seems to be the same! Lots of water
> activities and shopping, go to the beach, hit a restaurant or two,
> local shops, short inland excursions...
>
> It all seems so boring. Is that it? It doesn't seem exciting, only a
> weeklong yawn factory.
>
> I want to explore history and culture, hit some museums, immerse myself
> in stimulating activities. So obviously Europe is the place for me:
> Germany, London, etc. The Caribbean has some of these things but on a
> much smaller scale.
>
> Besides, even she won't be getting much out of the vacation. I'm too
> out of shape for beach activity. She won't do jungles. I won't shop
> much. She's not into mingling.
>
> Is there any hope for us? Has anyone into cycling found worthwhile
> activities in the Caribbean?
>

>She should find a different guy to marry.

Yeah, I guess I sound dull in that post. .

But I like to interact with people, especially the locals. I just don't
like the idea of being bottled up in a resort, or herded into guided
tours. Every Caribbean vacation seems to be an isolated rum-soaked
experience that 1) doesn't photograph well and 2) makes for a crummy
story that nobody wants to hear.

"Hey I just got back from Cabo san Punta del Rio"....

Doesn't that just make you nod off?

New Providence Island (Bahamas) has MTB tours. Costa Rica has plenty
of cycling. Or you can go to mexico city and try to outride gangs and
thieves. Seriously though, I'm not a lay on the beach person normally
but the Bahamas was so nice I'd go back for 10 -14 days and it still
wouldnt be enough. It's your honeymoon dude, you should be able to
not ride for aweek.

On 2 Nov 2005 14:21:11 -0800, "bryanska" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>It all seems so boring. Is that it? It doesn't seem exciting, only a
>weeklong yawn factory.

Man, have you ever missed the point!

The idea is never to set foot outside the bedroom, OK? Everything
else is just for scenery while you're eating.

Jeez, some people!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

I have some great photos of my Bahamas Trip. There's only as much rum
as you drink. We met plenty of locals and there was plenty to do that
did not involve being herded like sheep.

> >Besides, even she won't be getting much out of the vacation. I'm too
> >out of shape for beach activity. She won't do jungles. I won't shop
> >much. She's not into mingling.
> >
> >Is there any hope for us? Has anyone into cycling found worthwhile
> >activities in the Caribbean?

Like nude beaches? - go to the French side of St. Martin

One of my best memories is of a nude guy (no, he wasn't in shape
either) lying on his tummy on a webbed lounge - you get the picture?

No bicycling on St. Johns, but beautiful beaches with lots of
snorkeling, and you don't have to be "in shape." Believe me, all sorts
of shapes there.

You can talk to the locals all you want. Just go to the bar nearest
the main taxi stand, and you will find the fellows lubricating
themselves for the next fare. They will talk all you want. Or go by
the local "public" school, which is entirely "de facto" segregated.
Lots of local history, and as it is 3/4 national park, it has been
preserved, and there are hikes to many of the previous plantations,
etc.

But, it sounds like you and your wife are already on separate wave
lengths - doesn't bode well for the future, IMHO.

bryanska wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> My wife wants our honeymoon to happen in the Carribbean because it's
> warm (we live in Minnesota). We don't have a ton of money, and only a
> week.
>
> I'm afraid I'm just not excited about the region.
>
> The Web is saturated with Carribbean travel websites, so I've read lots
> about the region. Every destination seems to be the same! Lots of water
> activities and shopping, go to the beach, hit a restaurant or two,
> local shops, short inland excursions...
>
> It all seems so boring. Is that it? It doesn't seem exciting, only a
> weeklong yawn factory.
>
> I want to explore history and culture, hit some museums, immerse myself
> in stimulating activities. So obviously Europe is the place for me:
> Germany, London, etc. The Caribbean has some of these things but on a
> much smaller scale.
>
> Besides, even she won't be getting much out of the vacation. I'm too
> out of shape for beach activity. She won't do jungles. I won't shop
> much. She's not into mingling.
>
> Is there any hope for us? Has anyone into cycling found worthwhile
> activities in the Caribbean?

Hmmm...I'm a bit flummoxed by your "too out of shape for beach activity"
and yet wanting to do a cycling vacation. When I think beach activity, I
think "lay around," and it's not to physically challenging. If you mean
your paunch is a bit paunchy--who cares? You will have just gotten
married, warts and all. Your soon-to-be-wife hopefully thinks you're
hot, and you are legally no longer allowed to try to look hot for anyone
else.

Of course, if you simply don't *like* beach lounging, that's something
else entirely.

You haven't really mentioned what your wife *wants* to do--just what she
*doesn't* want to do. Does she like cycling? Unless you're she's
pretty into it, you might have better luck planning a honeymoon around
the *perfect* little self-catering villa/cottage/bungalow that you can
use as a home base to try out various activities, like cycling one day,
little kayaking the next, snorkeling or diving...whatever sounds fun.

I'm a real convert to vacation rentals vs. hotels, btw...it may be a bit
more money up front, but it's the easiest way IMHO to make a truly
memorable and individualized vacation. A hotel room is a hotel room is a
hotel room, even if it's near a nice beach. But there's just something
special about having your own little place, even if it's only "yours"
for a week. The Caribbean doesn't have a huge appeal to me either, and
the idea of an "all-inclusive resort" sounds decidedly unrelaxing, but I
could imagine having a really nice time in a little bungalow with my
sweetie and money budgeted for a a few nice fun activities.

As far as which island or more specifics, you'd probably be wise to ask
on the appropriate rec.travel ng. If it comes down to a handful of
choices, pick the place that speaks French, because it is la langue
d'amour, mon cheri.

Finally, this may be one of those rare situations where you're better
served by going to an old fashioned book that's already sold you what
it's trying to sell (i.e., the book itself), rather than a Web site
that's still trying to make money off you. If you want a nontraditional
vacation, you might steer yourself toward nontraditional travel guides,
like Lonely Planet or Rough Guide.

bryanska wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> My wife wants our honeymoon to happen in the Carribbean because it's
> warm (we live in Minnesota). We don't have a ton of money, and only a
> week.
>
> I'm afraid I'm just not excited about the region.
>
> The Web is saturated with Carribbean travel websites, so I've read lots
> about the region. Every destination seems to be the same! Lots of water
> activities and shopping, go to the beach, hit a restaurant or two,
> local shops, short inland excursions...
>
> It all seems so boring. Is that it? It doesn't seem exciting, only a
> weeklong yawn factory.
>
> I want to explore history and culture, hit some museums, immerse myself
> in stimulating activities. So obviously Europe is the place for me:
> Germany, London, etc. The Caribbean has some of these things but on a
> much smaller scale.
>
> Besides, even she won't be getting much out of the vacation. I'm too
> out of shape for beach activity. She won't do jungles. I won't shop
> much. She's not into mingling.
>
> Is there any hope for us? Has anyone into cycling found worthwhile
> activities in the Caribbean?

Look into Biras Creek resort on Virgin Gorda, BVI. Every cottage comes
with cruiser bikes to get around the sand roads on the resort. I know,
I know, that's not exactly "cycling" (I'm a road rider too), but it's
lots of fun and better than driving to get around, we thought. There
are also small sailboats like Hobie cats, windsurfers, and Ocean kayaks
to tool around in (get that upper-body workout!), and some good and
fairly strenuous hiking right there, and of course, lots of snorkeling
excursions - gorgeous turquoise water and beautiful fish. No cars, just
boats! We absolutely loved it as a trip for my husband's 50th birthday.
Would be perfect for a honeymoon too. Rustic elegance, not stuck-up
or frou-frou. Very limited shopping, but that didn't matter to us. We
were too busy being active outside and having fun. The food is great
too, and we met other nice couples to chat with. The only downside is
the price, but for a honeymoon, ya gotta live a little. :)

www.biras.com

Emily (no affiliation w/Biras, just a satisfied customer)...

bryanska said:
[...]

A few years ago I took my bike to Aruba. I wass out riding and latched on to a group of local club cyclists, I didn't even speak to them. Took my pulls and drafted for awhile after about 10-15 miles waved ado and turned back to my hotel. It was a good ride.
On a different note I couldn't believe how strong I felt going out and on the return I felt sapped. I was talking with the maitre'd when I got back and he educated me on the "trade winds" that Aruba has, check out the divi-divi trees. I would love to do it again. I try and take a bike whenever I go on vacation.

"bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Is there any hope for us? Has anyone into cycling found worthwhile
> activities in the Caribbean?

I took a fold-up on the boat with me. I was the only one off the
gangway to leave the port without being forced into a taxi, tour bus, or
moped rental. I got a lot of thumbs up from the locals for not being
another noisy and dangerous American. It was a one week cruise, pretty
cheap, three islands, skin diving, dancing, gambling, cuban cigars, the
works. The fold-up was good for seeing things and meeting people off
the beaten path.

Congrats on the nuptials!

--ag

if your wife is hot, I will take her to the Carribean and you can stay at
home and sleep with your bike instead