Kindly Killing A Lobster....

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gregory Morrow, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2004/02/18/the_best_way_to_kill_a_lobster_is/

    The best way to kill a lobster is...

    2/18/2004

    SYDNEY, Australia -- Plunging live lobsters into pots of boiling water to kill them will become a
    thing of the past in Australia if animal welfare activists get their way.

    The nation's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is calling for lobsters to be
    lulled to sleep in a refrigerator or freezer and then killed by splitting or driving a spike
    through them.

    "If you chuck a live crustacean into a boiling pot of water, they feel that and you are killing them
    cruelly," RSPCA President Hugh Wirth said Wednesday. "While there are still traditionalists, I think
    this will get rid of the last resistance. I am sure now we will get an uptake of the proper
    methodology."

    Wirth was speaking in the southern island state of Tasmania at the launch of new guidelines on
    killing crustacea.

    Jill Mure, whose family has run seafood restaurants in Tasmania for almost 30 years, said she had
    long subscribed to the practice of chilling lobsters in the freezer.

    "I just believe they go very nicely to sleep," she said. "I think the method of tossing them in the
    pot is long gone."

    © Copyright 2004 Associated Press

    </

    Tags:

  2. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    "Gregory Morrow" wrote:
    > The best way to kill a lobster is...

    <snip>

    Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a quick
    snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?

    <sounds like some people are confusing senses with sensibility again... soon we won't be allowed to
    flush goldfish anymore

  3. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-02-19, Pennyaline <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a quick
    > snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?

    I kill the "punks" with a .44 magnum round through the head ...er... brain-pan ...umm... bewtween
    the eyes ...er... stalks... yeah, that's the ticket.... hot lead between the stalks!

    nb

  4. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Would you kindly kill one for me too while you're at it? Thanks Greg.

    Best regards, Bob

  5. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > "Gregory Morrow" wrote:
    > > The best way to kill a lobster is...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a quick
    > snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?
    >
    > <sounds like some people are confusing senses with sensibility again... soon we won't be allowed
    > to flush goldfish anymore>

    Hey, hearing them scramble in the steam or hot water is one of the delights of cooking a lobster.

    They're nothing but bugs of the sea for heaven sake.

  6. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <%[email protected]_s53>, [email protected] says...
    > On 2004-02-19, Pennyaline <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a
    > > quick snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?
    >
    > I kill the "punks" with a .44 magnum round through the head ...er... brain-pan ...umm... bewtween
    > the eyes ...er... stalks... yeah, that's the ticket.... hot lead between the stalks!

    Just be careful - lead poisoning and all. Not to mention that a .44 mag would probably disintegrate
    more than half the lobster in the first place.

  7. Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2004/02/18/the_best_way_to_kill_a_lobster_is/
    >

    > The best way to kill a lobster is...
    >
    > 2/18/2004
    >
    > SYDNEY, Australia -- Plunging live lobsters into pots of boiling water to kill them will become a
    > thing of the past in Australia if animal welfare activists get their way.
    >
    > The nation's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is calling for lobsters to be
    > lulled to sleep in a refrigerator or freezer and then killed by splitting or driving a spike
    > through them.
    >
    > "If you chuck a live crustacean into a boiling pot of water, they feel that and you are killing
    > them cruelly," RSPCA President Hugh Wirth said Wednesday. "While there are still traditionalists,
    > I think this will get rid of the last resistance. I am sure now we will get an uptake of the
    > proper methodology."
    >
    > Wirth was speaking in the southern island state of Tasmania at the launch of new guidelines on
    > killing crustacea.
    >
    > Jill Mure, whose family has run seafood restaurants in Tasmania for almost 30 years, said she had
    > long subscribed to the practice of chilling lobsters in the freezer.
    >
    > "I just believe they go very nicely to sleep," she said. "I think the method of tossing them in
    > the pot is long gone."
    >
    > © Copyright 2004 Associated Press
    >
    > </>
    That's fine to be concerned about animals like that. But do they give a damn about the 1000's of
    children and people in the world, who are dying daily from hunger and *CURABLE* diseases? Seems to
    me that what is pragmatic is to concern ourselves for our species first, then give ear to the
    lobsters and the seals.

    There are probably more activists for SAVE THE SEALS, kind killing of lobsters, and SAVE THE _______
    than there are for SAVE THE HUMANS!!!

    Oh I see; it's those children infested with flies and other insects, dirty and disgusting, compared
    to those cute baby seals with their beautiful white fur, et cetera.

    What friggin hypocrisy!

    Rich

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  8. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2004/02/18/the_best_way_to_kill_a_lo bster_is/

    > The best way to kill a lobster is...
    >
    > 2/18/2004
    >
    > SYDNEY, Australia -- Plunging live lobsters into pots of boiling water to kill them will become a
    > thing of the past in Australia if animal welfare activists get their way.
    >
    > The nation's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is calling for lobsters to be
    > lulled to sleep in a refrigerator or freezer and then killed by splitting or driving a spike
    > through them.
    >
    > "If you chuck a live crustacean into a boiling pot of water, they feel that and you are killing
    > them cruelly," RSPCA President Hugh Wirth said Wednesday. "While there are still traditionalists,
    > I think this will get rid of the last resistance. I am sure now we will get an uptake of the
    > proper methodology."
    >
    > Wirth was speaking in the southern island state of Tasmania at the launch of new guidelines on
    > killing crustacea.
    >
    > Jill Mure, whose family has run seafood restaurants in Tasmania for almost 30 years, said she had
    > long subscribed to the practice of chilling lobsters in the freezer.
    >
    > "I just believe they go very nicely to sleep," she said. "I think the method of tossing them in
    > the pot is long gone."
    >
    > © Copyright 2004 Associated Press
    >
    > </>

    I was told that lobsters, shrimp and crabs have no nervous system and therefore do not feel anything
    when you place them in a pot of boiling water. The scream you may hear is steam leaking from their
    joints. On the other hand, I've also heard that if a lobster is dead before you cook it, there is an
    increased risk of iodine poisening. Is there proof in any of this?

    kili

  9. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Richard Periut wrote:

    > That's fine to be concerned about animals like that. But do they give a damn about the 1000's of
    > children and people in the world, who are dying daily from hunger and *CURABLE* diseases? Seems to
    > me that what is pragmatic is to concern ourselves for our species first, then give ear to the
    > lobsters and the seals.
    >
    > There are probably more activists for SAVE THE SEALS, kind killing of lobsters, and SAVE THE
    > _______ than there are for SAVE THE HUMANS!!!
    >
    > Oh I see; it's those children infested with flies and other insects, dirty and disgusting,
    > compared to those cute baby seals with their beautiful white fur, et cetera.
    >
    > What friggin hypocrisy!

    Animal rights activists are terrorists. The *worst* kind of all...

    ~john

  10. The Wolf

    The Wolf Guest

    On 02/18/2004 7:49 PM, in article [email protected],
    "Richard Periut" <[email protected]> opined:

    > Gregory Morrow wrote:
    >> http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2004/02/18/the_best_way_to_kill_a_lob ster_is/
    >>

    >> The best way to kill a lobster is...
    >>
    >> 2/18/2004
    >>
    >> SYDNEY, Australia -- Plunging live lobsters into pots of boiling water to kill them will become a
    >> thing of the past in Australia if animal welfare activists get their way.
    >>
    >> The nation's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is calling for lobsters to be
    >> lulled to sleep in a refrigerator or freezer and then killed by splitting or driving a spike
    >> through them.
    >>
    >> "If you chuck a live crustacean into a boiling pot of water, they feel that and you are killing
    >> them cruelly," RSPCA President Hugh Wirth said Wednesday. "While there are still traditionalists,
    >> I think this will get rid of the last resistance. I am sure now we will get an uptake of the
    >> proper methodology."
    >>
    >> Wirth was speaking in the southern island state of Tasmania at the launch of new guidelines on
    >> killing crustacea.
    >>
    >> Jill Mure, whose family has run seafood restaurants in Tasmania for almost 30 years, said she had
    >> long subscribed to the practice of chilling lobsters in the freezer.
    >>
    >> "I just believe they go very nicely to sleep," she said. "I think the method of tossing them in
    >> the pot is long gone."
    >>
    >> © Copyright 2004 Associated Press
    >>
    >> </>
    > That's fine to be concerned about animals like that. But do they give a damn about the 1000's of
    > children and people in the world, who are dying daily from hunger and *CURABLE* diseases? Seems to
    > me that what is pragmatic is to concern ourselves for our species first, then give ear to the
    > lobsters and the seals.
    >
    > There are probably more activists for SAVE THE SEALS, kind killing of lobsters, and SAVE THE
    > _______ than there are for SAVE THE HUMANS!!!
    >
    > Oh I see; it's those children infested with flies and other insects, dirty and disgusting,
    > compared to those cute baby seals with their beautiful white fur, et cetera.
    >
    > What friggin hypocrisy!
    >
    > Rich

    I hate to admit this, but I agree with you for once.
    "Michael, we're bigger than U. S. Steel," Hyman Roth.

  11. zxcvbob wrote:

    > Would you kindly kill one for me too while you're at it? Thanks Greg.

    Boiled to death? Frozen to death? Impaled? Or drawn and quartered?

    --
    Best Greg

  12. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    notbob wrote:

    > I kill the "punks" with a .44 magnum round through the head ...er... brain-pan ...umm... bewtween
    > the eyes ...er... stalks... yeah, that's the ticket.... hot lead between the stalks!

    .44 magnum? Weeny. I drop mine with a .454 Casull...

    ~john

    --
    Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it...

  13. Levelwave© wrote:
    > Richard Periut wrote:
    >
    >> That's fine to be concerned about animals like that. But do they give a damn about the 1000's of
    >> children and people in the world, who are dying daily from hunger and *CURABLE* diseases? Seems
    >> to me that what is pragmatic is to concern ourselves for our species first, then give ear to the
    >> lobsters and the seals.
    >>
    >> There are probably more activists for SAVE THE SEALS, kind killing of lobsters, and SAVE THE
    >> _______ than there are for SAVE THE HUMANS!!!
    >>
    >> Oh I see; it's those children infested with flies and other insects, dirty and disgusting,
    >> compared to those cute baby seals with their beautiful white fur, et cetera.
    >>
    >> What friggin hypocrisy!
    >

    > Animal rights activists are terrorists. The *worst* kind of all...
    >
    > ~john

    And they seem to be so callous to the unfortunate animals that are our species.

    Rich

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  14. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:
    > Animal rights activists are terrorists. The *worst* kind of all...

    http://maddox.xmission.com/sponsor.html

    regards, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or connection fees! Use
    promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

  15. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Gregory Morrow) wrote:

    > http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2004/02/18/the_best_way_to_kill_a_lobs ter_is/
    >

    > The best way to kill a lobster is...
    >
    > 2/18/2004
    >
    > SYDNEY, Australia -- Plunging live lobsters into pots of boiling water to kill them will become a
    > thing of the past in Australia if animal welfare activists get their way.
    >
    > The nation's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is calling for lobsters to be
    > lulled to sleep in a refrigerator or freezer and then killed by splitting or driving a spike
    > through them.
    >
    > "If you chuck a live crustacean into a boiling pot of water, they feel that and you are killing
    > them cruelly," RSPCA President Hugh Wirth said Wednesday. "While there are still traditionalists,
    > I think this will get rid of the last resistance. I am sure now we will get an uptake of the
    > proper methodology."
    >
    > Wirth was speaking in the southern island state of Tasmania at the launch of new guidelines on
    > killing crustacea.
    >
    > Jill Mure, whose family has run seafood restaurants in Tasmania for almost 30 years, said she had
    > long subscribed to the practice of chilling lobsters in the freezer.
    >
    > "I just believe they go very nicely to sleep," she said. "I think the method of tossing them in
    > the pot is long gone."
    >
    > © Copyright 2004 Associated Press
    >
    > </>

    I am _not_ an animal rights activist, but I've always felt that tossing a crustacean into a pot of
    boiling water was a horribly cruel thing to do, so I won't do it now!

    Putting them to sleep first in the freezer seems to make sense. I'll have to remember that. I always
    just start them in cold water and bring them up slowly to a boil.

    I've watched them and they never "struggle" when I do this, unlike the other way. :-( Toss them into
    boiling water alive and they kick like the dickens for a few minutes.

    That's just gotta hurt. Kinda like frying live crawfish... :p

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

  16. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    T E wrote:

    > I knew as a child as I witness innocent minks being slaughter for the purpose of wearing their
    > hides around ones shoulders was inhumane

    You wouldn't happen tell me what that chair you're sitting in is made of would you? And how about
    those shoes you're wearing?

    > To be beaten to death on their heads for their hides, harpooned for meat when other sources are
    > available, shoved in box cars like the jews headed for the concentration camps, or ostriches being
    > put to death by slamming their legs with sledgehammers for burgers that studies have showed
    > ostrich meat is NO more heathy than hamburger.

    No more healthy than a hamburger, eh? Well guess what - a cow had to die too. Are you in some way
    insinuating that an Ostrich has more right to life than a cow?

    > Too find anything funny or amusing about lobsters thrashing around while being boil to death you
    > need to take a hard look at your self before calling any one else a terrorist.

    Needless suffering is wrong. Eating meat is not. Life feeds on life. It is necessary.

    ~john

    --
    Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it...

  17. Darkginger

    Darkginger Guest

    T E <[email protected]> wrote

    "I knew as a child as I witness innocent minks being slaughter for the purpose of wearing their
    hides around ones shoulders was inhumane"

    What about guilty minks, like the one that broke into my friend's chicken pen the other month, and
    killed all 18 chickens, without eating a single one? OK to slaughter that one?

    Jo

    ---

  18. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Gregory Morrow" wrote:
    > > The best way to kill a lobster is...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a quick
    > snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?

    Where exactly to you aim, and what about live crabs?

    > <sounds like some people are confusing senses with sensibility again... soon we won't be allowed
    > to flush goldfish anymore>

    Why would you flush a live goldfish?

    K.

    --

  19. Katra wrote:

    > Putting them to sleep first in the freezer seems to make sense. I'll have to remember that. I
    > always just start them in cold water and bring them up slowly to a boil.

    Heehee...maybe "TE" the animal rights activist up there can give you some little mink coats so the
    lobsters won't get too cold ;-p

    --
    Best Greg

  20. "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I am _not_ an animal rights activist, but I've always felt that tossing a crustacean into a pot of
    > boiling water was a horribly cruel thing to do, so I won't do it now!
    >
    > Putting them to sleep first in the freezer seems to make sense. I'll have to remember that. I
    > always just start them in cold water and bring them up slowly to a boil.

    <snip>

    I remember that a similar discussion was going on in the newsgroup alt.aquaria a few years ago, on
    the most humane way of euthanising (aquarium) fish. The freezer suggestion did come up, but it was
    pointed out that the fish would still die a relatively slower death that way (as opposed to other
    ways where they could be killed instantaneously). Regardless whether fish have nervous systems, they
    still have the instinct to survive. The general consensus was that cutting off their heads behind
    the gills with a sharp knife and one sharp stroke was the quickest way to kill them.

    I used to go crabbing, and I was told that the way to kill a crab is to take a chopstick and pierce
    it through the centre underside section of its shell (after lifting up the flap there). I did it
    once, and I will never do it again. The crab took forever to die, and I did not know how to hasten
    its dying process at the time. Eventually I found that the quickest way, though still fairly
    barbaric, was to lift the underside flap and pull off the entire top shell in one go, then swiftly
    hack the crab into half. There isn't any way to chop through the crab with the shell still intact,
    so I think that step has to be taken.

    If anyone has other suggestions, do share.

    Angela