Kindly Killing A Lobster....

James McIninch wrote:

> Ironically, they feel the freezing and oxygen starvation too. It's slower, and certainly
> distressing to the animal -- I would think it more cruel than boiling, honestly.

They live in freezing cold water in the wild, I don't think the cold bothers them at all.

nancy

"Pennyaline" <[email protected]>
deliciously posted in news:[email protected]:

> "Gregory Morrow" wrote:
>> The best way to kill a lobster is...
>
> <snip>
>
> Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a quick
> snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?
>
> <sounds like some people are confusing senses with sensibility again... soon we won't be allowed
> to flush goldfish anymore>

I make mine walk the plank.

Michael

--
"The carp was dead, killed, assassinated, murdered in the first, second and third degree. Limp, I
fell into a chair, with my hands still unwashed reached for a cigarette, lighted it, and waited for

3316.bay.webtv.net... .

From: [email protected] (Levelwave©) What friggin hypocrisy! Animal rights activists are
terrorists. The *worst* kind of all... ~john

>I have been an animal right activist ever since I was a kid growing up in the 60's and way before
>these groups were getting bad exposure on TV news. I knew as a child as I witness innocent minks
>being slaughter for the purpose of wearing their hides around ones shoulders was inhumane and I
>never learned how to cook a lobster as reasons stated in previous posts.

Would it be OK to slaughter guilty minks to make coats?

Peter G. Aitken

James McIninch <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Ironically, they feel the freezing and oxygen starvation too. It's slower, and certainly
> distressing to the animal -- I would think it more cruel
than
> boiling, honestly.
>
> You could always pith the them, but unless you are exacting and swift, it won't be any better than
> simply plunking them in the hot water (which is pretty swift, actually, only a few seconds).

Keith Floyd (one of my food heroes) suggests stabbing them with a sharp knife at the point where the
head joins the abdomen, hence severing the nerve thread that runs down their back. He also asserts
(and I agree with him) that a grilled lobster is not a boiled lobster which is then grilled, it's a
raw lobster which is cooked by grilling, after having been killed as above. Subtle difference in
taste and texture. I usually drop mine into boiling water, slam on the lid, and hold it (the lid)
down whilst saying several Hail Marys (and I'm not even Catholic, but it drowns out any noises).

On the other hand, I can't bring myself to kill a chicken...

Jo

---

>Would you kindly kill one for me too while you're at it? Thanks Greg.
>
>Best regards, Bob

I'm with you Bob. While I have no qualms about eating meat, fish or fowl, for some reason, I can't
eat something I've actually *seen* alive. I can't even pick a lobster out of a tank like you do in
some seafood restaurants.

One time, when I lived back east, we went crabbing off Fire Island at night with lights. We'd use
the lights to find the crabs in the water, and someone would scoop them up with a net.

I couldn't wait to get those crabs home and in a pot. And when I did, I couldn't eat them. Every
time I tried to take a bite, I had a vision of the crab trying to swim away from the net.

This past Christmas, my brother showed up with a box of live lobster. I left the kitchen until they
were out of the box and safely in the pot. Once they were all bright red and delicious looking, I
was more than eager to get them out of the pot and onto the table.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

In article <[email protected]>, Tonya_049 @webtv.net says...
> .
>
> From: [email protected] (Levelwave=A9) What friggin hypocrisy! Animal rights activists are
> terrorists. The *worst* kind of all... ~john
> I have been an animal right activist ever since I was a kid growing up in the 60's and way before
> these groups were getting bad exposure on TV news. I knew as a child as I witness innocent minks
> being slaughter for the purpose of wearing their hides around ones shoulders was inhumane and I
> never learned how to cook a lobster as reasons stated in previous posts. Yes, myself and other
> fellow activists do care about poverty in this country and third world countries BUT these animals
> need a voice, a voice to cry out to end the inhumane conditions and suffering they are enduring
> for what? To be beaten to death on their heads for their hides, harpooned for meat when other
> sources are available, shoved in box cars like the jews headed for the concentration camps, or
> ostriches being put to death by slamming their legs with sledgehammers for burgers that studies
> have showed ostrich meat is NO more heathy than hamburger. The list can go on. We are NOT
> terrorists, we do not highjack jets and fly them into towers or let our fellow sisters die in
> child birth because treatment is not allowed by dr.'s unless the woman is his wife. Too find
> anything funny or amusing about lobsters thrashing around while being boil to death you need to
> take a hard look at your self before calling any one else a terrorist.

To have clawed our way to the top of the food chain, and to have developed a gut that digests not
only plant matter, but animal matter told me that we have dominion over the animals of the planet.
Be it for food, shelter or decoration it is our prerogative as human beings.

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-02-19, Pennyaline <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Whatever happened to a swift knife strike to the base of the poor critter's head? Provides a quick
>>snuff, and probably no more uncomfortable than being half frozen alive, no?
>
> I kill the "punks" with a .44 magnum round through the head ...er... brain-pan ...umm... bewtween
> the eyes ...er... stalks... yeah, that's the ticket.... hot lead between the stalks!

<LOL>

Lovely picture...

Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
"Darkginger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> James McIninch <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Ironically, they feel the freezing and oxygen starvation too. It's slower, and certainly
> > distressing to the animal -- I would think it more cruel
> than
> > boiling, honestly.
> >
> > You could always pith the them, but unless you are exacting and swift, it won't be any better
> > than simply plunking them in the hot water (which is pretty swift, actually, only a few
> > seconds).
>
> Keith Floyd (one of my food heroes) suggests stabbing them with a sharp knife at the point where
> the head joins the abdomen, hence severing the nerve thread that runs down their back. He also
> asserts (and I agree with him) that a grilled lobster is not a boiled lobster which is then
> grilled, it's a raw lobster which is cooked by grilling, after having been killed as above. Subtle
> difference in taste and texture. I usually drop mine into boiling water, slam on the lid, and hold
> it (the lid) down whilst saying several Hail Marys (and I'm not even Catholic, but it drowns out
> any noises).
>
> On the other hand, I can't bring myself to kill a chicken...
>
> Jo

Chicken...... ;-D

Nothing as good as fresh killed chicked cooked within a couple of hours of dressing it out.

Seriously, do try starting bugs in cold water.

No noise.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

In article <[email protected]>, dognospam@adjfkdla says...

>> <sounds like some people are confusing senses with sensibility again... soon we won't be allowed
>> to flush goldfish anymore>
>
>I make mine walk the plank.
>
>Michael

Michael, That was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:34:45 -0500, Levelwave© <[email protected]>
wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>
>> I kill the "punks" with a .44 magnum round through the head ...er... brain-pan ...umm... bewtween
>> the eyes ...er... stalks... yeah, that's the ticket.... hot lead between the stalks!
>

>.44 magnum? Weeny. I drop mine with a .454 Casull...
>
>~john

Hay if your good, a 22. will do. And it will not upset the neighbors Pan Ohco

Katra <[email protected]> wrote

> > On the other hand, I can't bring myself to kill a chicken...
> >
> > Jo
> >

> Chicken...... ;-D
>
> Nothing as good as fresh killed chicked cooked within a couple of hours of dressing it out.
>
> Seriously, do try starting bugs in cold water.
>
> No noise.

I'll give it a go next time, but can see a few drawbacks, since I usually cook quite a lot of
shellfish (lobsters, crabs, spider crabs, whelks) at a time (thanks to getting a glut of them from
the lobster boat), and have only a 2 gallon pot. Not everything will fit in at the same time, and it
takes an age to come to boiling point! Chucking things in one after the other, and removing when
cooked, then bringing the water back to the boil before the next creature, is how I do it (usually
fuelled by a botlle of decent red!). And yes, then it's time to get a few friends round for a feast
- no point in freezing such wonderfully fresh seafood! A mountain of crustaceans punctuated here and
there with plump scallops, juicy razor clams, the best musels I've ever tastes - local ones we pick
ourselves - quirky little winkles and the odd sea urchin or two (if we're lucky enough to find 'em
since they became so popular as exports to France), served with tarragon and lime hollandaise, lemon
wedges, glossy mayonnaise, chunks of home made bread, and lashings of home made wine (or bought
stuff, not that fussy!) is my idea of heaven!

This will be the year I murder a chicken. I've got 6 hens and a cockerel at the moment, purely
for eggs - but we're planning to let whatever hens feel like it go broody this spring/summer, and
will have to cull the excess cockerels. I'm motivated by the idea of coq au vin with a real coq
(hush, Sheldon!), and justify the murder by thinking that the lives (and taste!) of my chickens
are far superior to those of any I could buy from the shops. I'll just have to remember not to
give them names...

Don't get me started on pig plans...

Jo

---

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-02-19, Levelwave=A9 <[email protected]> wrote:
>=20
>>.44 magnum? Weeny. I drop mine with a .454 Casull...
>=20
> Yeah, but I'm holding the .44 cartridge between my fingers and piercing=
the primer
> with an ice pick!!

Girly-boy. I grip a whole 50 cal. cartridge between thumb and=20 forefinger and forcefully PUT the
bullet through the seabug and about=20 4 inches into the oak stump it's sitting on. Sure reduces
time spent=20 with Hoppe's Number 9, I'll tell you.

Just like when my friends and I hunt bear. Take 4 cartridges, and a=20 salt shaker for later.

Bob

Kenneth wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:09:19 -0600, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>In article <[email protected]>, "Angela Faye Oon"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
>>>[email protected]...

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>I remember that a similar discussion was going on in the newsgroup alt.aquaria a few years ago,
>>>on the most humane way of euthanising (aquarium) fish. The freezer suggestion did come up, but
>>>it was pointed out that the fish would still die a relatively slower death that way (as opposed
>>>to other ways where they could be killed instantaneously). Regardless whether fish have nervous
>>>systems, they still have the instinct to survive. The general consensus was that cutting off
>>>their heads behind the gills with a sharp knife and one sharp stroke was the quickest way to
>>>kill them.
>>
>>When I go fishing, mom and dad just taught me to bap them over the back of the head with the
>>handle of the fishing knife.....
>>

>>>I used to go crabbing, and I was told that the way to kill a crab is to take a chopstick and
>>>pierce it through the centre underside section of its shell (after lifting up the flap there). I
>>>did it once, and I will never do it again. The crab took forever to die, and I did not know how
>>>to hasten its dying process at the time. Eventually I found that the quickest way, though still
>>>fairly barbaric, was to lift the underside flap and pull off the entire top shell in one go, then
>>>swiftly hack the crab into half. There isn't any way to chop through the crab with the shell
>>>still intact, so I think that step has to be taken.
>>>
>>>If anyone has other suggestions, do share.
>>>
>>>Angela
>>
>>Hmmmmm... I'm interested in this too. Right now I just start live crabs in cold water (as I said
>>above) and they never struggle or scrabble around the pot. At all.
>>
>>But I'm always open to better ideas on how to mercifully kill my food. I enjoy it more if I know
>>it did not suffer......
>>
>>K.
>

> Howdy,
>
> I knew for years a Ph.D. "doctor-who-studies-critters-of-the-lobster-variety-ologist" (sorry, I
> cannot remember the proper name for her professional specialty.

Sous-chef.

> She offered (first) that lobsters do, indeed, have a nervous system but it is of such a sort that
> they would, in essence, become anesthetized if put in cold water, which then heated to boiling.

Um, they live in cold water. I bet that explains their poor performance on the SAT's.

In my restaurants, we started them in cold water and brought it to boiling. Because they didn't do
that pot-scratching thing that makes folks get nervous.

I find that those people like to discuss humane killing of animals over their oysters in the shell
with a dab of cocktail sauce and some lemon juice.

Bob

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:28:49 GMT, hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:

>notbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:jY_Yb.344293$I06.3627571@attbi_s01:
>
>> On 2004-02-19, The Wolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I hate to admit this, but I agree with you for once.
>>
>> I'm think ppl who repost 60+ lines to deliver one new line should be clubbed about the head and
>> shoulders.
>>
>> nb
>>

>I like to treat my lobsters humanely before I kill them. I put them in a little smoking jacket,
>offer them a martini. Get them into the recliner (the electric recliner chair) and then throw
>the switch.

The honorable thing, would be a blindfold, after a cigarette. Pan Ohco

In article <[email protected]>,
Kenneth <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:09:19 -0600, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Hmmmmm... I'm interested in this too. Right now I just start live crabs in cold water (as I said
> >above) and they never struggle or scrabble around the pot. At all.
> >
> >But I'm always open to better ideas on how to mercifully kill my food. I enjoy it more if I know
> >it did not suffer......
> >
> >K.
>
> Howdy,
>
> I knew for years a Ph.D. "doctor-who-studies-critters-of-the-lobster-variety-ologist" (sorry, I
> cannot remember the proper name for her professional specialty.
>
> She offered (first) that lobsters do, indeed, have a nervous system but it is of such a sort that
> they would, in essence, become anesthetized if put in cold water, which then heated to boiling.
>
> For years since, I just put about an inch of cold water in the pot, put in the lobsters, and heat
> until they are cooked. Not only is it much more humane, but the lobsters taste better.
>
> All the best,

Awesome.

And agreed, they do come out more tender this way! And sweeter if you use salted water.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

In article <[email protected]>, "Bob (this one)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Kenneth wrote:
(snip)
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I knew for years a Ph.D. "doctor-who-studies-critters-of-the-lobster-variety-ologist" (sorry, I
> > cannot remember the proper name for her professional specialty.
>
> Sous-chef.
>
> > She offered (first) that lobsters do, indeed, have a nervous system but it is of such a sort
> > that they would, in essence, become anesthetized if put in cold water, which then heated to
> > boiling.
>
> Um, they live in cold water. I bet that explains their poor performance on the SAT's.
>
> In my restaurants, we started them in cold water and brought it to boiling. Because they didn't do
> that pot-scratching thing that makes folks get nervous.
>
> I find that those people like to discuss humane killing of animals over their oysters in the shell
> with a dab of cocktail sauce and some lemon juice.
>
> Bob
>
> > For years since, I just put about an inch of cold water in the pot, put in the lobsters, and
> > heat until they are cooked. Not only is it much more humane, but the lobsters taste better.
> >
> > All the best,

Pastorio, is that you? ROTFL!!!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-10-04.

Katra wrote:

> In article <GU_Yb.344281$I06.3627773@attbi_s01>, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I propose a movement to give chickens CCW.
>>
>>nb
>

> <whoosh> That one went over the top.
>
> What is CCW?
>
> K.

Canadian Club [a blended whiskey] and Water. HTH :)

Bob

Pan Ohco wrote:

>>I like to treat my lobsters humanely before I kill them. I put them in a little smoking jacket,
>>offer them a martini. Get them into the recliner (the electric recliner chair) and then throw
>>the switch.
>
> The honorable thing, would be a blindfold, after a cigarette.

Oh, then they'd be up in arms about giving the bugs cancer or about second-hand smoke! ;)

--
Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

There was this local Japanese restaurant that served live lobster sashimi. You picked the one you
wanted from the tank. I few minutes later a plate arrived with the tail meat cleaned, cut into
bite sized pieces and served on the tail. The tail was still attached to the front of the still
live lobster.

After you were done with the sashimi dish, the lobster was taken back to the kitchen and the claws
were fried and served to you.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Kenneth wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>>>Howdy,
>>>
>>>I knew for years a Ph.D. "doctor-who-studies-critters-of-the-lobster-variety-ologist" (sorry, I
>>>cannot remember the proper name for her professional specialty.
>>
>>Sous-chef.
>>
>>>She offered (first) that lobsters do, indeed, have a nervous system but it is of such a sort that
>>>they would, in essence, become anesthetized if put in cold water, which then heated to boiling.
>>
>>Um, they live in cold water. I bet that explains their poor performance on the SAT's.
>>
>>In my restaurants, we started them in cold water and brought it to boiling. Because they didn't do
>>that pot-scratching thing that makes folks get nervous.
>>
>>I find that those people like to discuss humane killing of animals over their oysters in the shell
>>with a dab of cocktail sauce and some lemon juice.
>>
>>Bob
>>
>>>For years since, I just put about an inch of cold water in the pot, put in the lobsters, and heat
>>>until they are cooked. Not only is it much more humane, but the lobsters taste better.
>>>
>>>All the best,
>
> Pastorio, is that you? ROTFL!!!

Why yes. I bet the sleek physique and dazzling smile gave me away. Right?

Since putting in several layers of spam reduction and changing my address, I'm only getting about 2
dozen spams a day. 1000 before.

So now, I'm Bob (this one), as opposed to Bob or BOB or...

Pastorio (the same one)