Kinesis KR-1 road frame - Yes? No? Maybe?

phillip brown

Guest
Hi all

I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...30004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
custom frame/fork from CW again?

phillip brown

jeee, that's pretty good price.

Unless you have particular requirements, the custom option is way too much, in my opinion. I've had at least 15 'factory' frames over the years that have all been fine. I remember when 70% of the guys at the Carnegie criteriums rode custom Paconi and Perkins frames -- because we were convinced, and somtimes bullied in to thinking that's what we 'needed' -- but now 90% of them ride off-the-rack carbon and alu frames. I wonder how they all manage. :)

Bicycle Recyle have a few old frames for under $200 at the moment, including an old 531 Abeni for $85, and a Cecil Walker SLX for about $140. I think they're both about 55 or 56.

phillip brown wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
> old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
> have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
> ebay.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...30004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
> http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm
>
> I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
> worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
> custom frame/fork from CW again?

The merits or otherwise of custom frames as a side issue, you'll find
that you'll not only be replacing your frame, but also fork, stem and
bars, probably seatpost, possibly bottom bracket and cranks as well.
Modern road frames are mostly 1.1/8th" head tubes, your 11y/o bike will
almost definatly be 1" with probably a quill stem. Swapping bits over
may be not an option without shimming, or other hacks, depending on
your current bike bits. So the cheap frame, you'll possibly need to
add forks, bars & stem, seatpost. It adds up pretty quickly, and that
frame is just a generic al alloy and CF seatstays (CF stays, are, IMO,
a gimick, unless designed in such a way that they use the ability of
the material to flex, most don't ....).

You can get a pretty good frame, fork & stem (and wheels, low end
tiagra groupset, saddle, post etc) for around $1200-$1500 (eg Trek
1200, Giant something orother etc).

Once you add in the cost of all the bits you'll want, that may end up
being around the same sort of pricetag. You also have the advantage of
being able to testride them so you can know for yourself how
comfortable (or not!) the bike is.

Just something to consider :)

phillip brown wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
> old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
> have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
> ebay.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...30004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
> http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm
>
> I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
> worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
> custom frame/fork from CW again?
>
> phillip brown

I just bought one of these. I'm still building it so I have no idea how
it rides yet, but initial impressions are very good.

As Bleve said, a generic al/cf frame although it does have some
distinguishing features like hydroformed tubes that look almost lugged.
Overall build quality looks very good and for $425 I think it's good value.

--
Nick

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:40:40 +1000, NoZX6R wrote:

> phillip brown wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
>> old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
>> have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
>> ebay.
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...30004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
>> http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm
>>
>> I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
>> worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
>> custom frame/fork from CW again?
>>
>> phillip brown
>>

> I just bought one of these. I'm still building it so I have no idea how
> it rides yet, but initial impressions are very good.
>
> As Bleve said, a generic al/cf frame although it does have some
> distinguishing features like hydroformed tubes that look almost lugged.
> Overall build quality looks very good and for $425 I think it's good value.

Thanks for the reply - I look forward to reading your final review :)

May I ask - what are you putting on it?

phillip brown

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
custom frame/fork from CW again?

phillip brown
I have a Kinesis MTB hardtail frame which I use as my commuter and occasional off-roader. It's done about 5 years duty under a dreadnaught rider and I'm still very happy with it.

SteveA

Phillip Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:40:40 +1000, NoZX6R wrote:
>

>>phillip brown wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
>>>old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
>>>have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
>>>ebay.
>>>
>>>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...30004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
>>>http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm
>>>
>>>I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
>>>worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
>>>custom frame/fork from CW again?
>>>
>>>phillip brown
>>>

>>I just bought one of these. I'm still building it so I have no idea how
>>it rides yet, but initial impressions are very good.
>>
>>As Bleve said, a generic al/cf frame although it does have some
>>distinguishing features like hydroformed tubes that look almost lugged.
>>Overall build quality looks very good and for $425 I think it's good value.

> Thanks for the reply - I look forward to reading your final review :)
>
> May I ask - what are you putting on it?
>
> phillip brown

Columbus Muscle fork, Centaur groupset, wheels are Record hubs and CXP33
rims. ITM Kero bars, Thomson stem , Look Carbopost, Selle Italia SLR
carbon saddle (the crazy one that's all carbon and no padding) or a
Fizik Arione and either eggbeaters or Look A5.1 pedals.

Just waiting for a BB to arrive arrive tomorrow so hopefully I'll get to
ride it by the weekend.

Tip #1: the downtube cable adjuster bosses welded to the frame are
threaded for Shimano adjusters, so you can't use Campag ones on this frame.

--
Nick

phillip brown wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
> old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
> have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
> ebay.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...30004007860&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
> http://www.kinesis.com.tw/af_G9100.htm
>
> I would appreciate your thoughts on whether or not they would be a
> worthwhile investment, or am I better off stumping up the cash on a new
> custom frame/fork from CW again?
>
> phillip brown

ok Phillip, here's a review of sorts.

I've never owned an alu frame before but I can see how some describe alu
as 'dead' compared to steel. I wouldn't say this one is better or worse
than steel really, but it does feel different.

It also feels really smooth on the road, and very comfortable. Not bone
jarring like some other alu frames I've ridden. Accelerates well and
feels very stable. I can ride no hands pretty much indefinitely and the
bike tracks very well. I suppose that means I installed the headset
properly too :)

I think it might be aimed more at TTs than road riding - the seat angle
is 74d and the headtube is really short. With a 55cm top tube that means
the steerer needs to be quite long. I've got 45mm of spacers below the
stem and the stem has a 10d rise, so it looks a bit long I reckon. But
the short headtube will be an advantage with bullhorns and aero bars.

For $455 (+$30 for a headset) delivered I think it's a good deal. Frame
is a bit heavier than other alu/cf ones (1500gm for the 53cm) but it's
comfy, stiff and I reckon it looks all right too. The bike weighs in at
8.2kg on the road. And Brad @ Velocraft is very good to deal with. He's
been really helpful.

Here's a picture:
http://www.angrydwarf.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=36&fullsize=1

The frame doesn't come with a seat clamp and it needs a 31.8mm clamp on
front derailleur.

--
Nick

phillip brown said:
Hi all
I am in the market for a new frame for my road bike (replacing 11 yr
old Columbus SLX from Cecil Walker). I am on a limited budget, and
have noticed the Kinesis KR1 carbon/'kinesium' frames available on
ebay.

Not the same thing, I know, but I just spotted this article while reading Condor roadie reviews:

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/449/V/2/SP/

hippy