King crab legs!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Peter Aitken, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    The Harris-Teeter had these on sale for less than $3 a pound so we are going
    to gorge ourselves tonight (along with French fries and a salad). It's
    timely because the TV just had a show about how they catch these critters up
    in the Bering Sea, apparently a very dangerous job.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  2. "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The Harris-Teeter had these on sale for less than $3 a pound so we are
    > going to gorge ourselves tonight (along with French fries and a
    > salad). It's timely because the TV just had a show about how they
    > catch these critters up in the Bering Sea, apparently a very dangerous
    > job.

    Mmmmmm... You lucky devil. At that price I can't even imagine how many
    pounds I'd buy. I'd make myself sick eating so much. Enjoy yourself...
    like there is any question that you won't ;)

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:

    > The Harris-Teeter had these on sale for less than $3 a pound so we are going
    > to gorge ourselves tonight (along with French fries and a salad). It's
    > timely because the TV just had a show about how they catch these critters up
    > in the Bering Sea, apparently a very dangerous job.

    Wow! What's wrong with them? I love King Crab legs. but I can't usually afford
    them. :-(

    I saw that show. I am assuming that it is the same one, because they conditions
    were so perilous that I can't imagine anyone doing a rival show. I had no idea
    that it was such a dangerous job. IIRC correctly, there were 5 boats , several
    injuries and one fatality.

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Harris-Teeter had these on sale for less than $3 a pound so we are going
    > to gorge ourselves tonight (along with French fries and a salad). It's
    > timely because the TV just had a show about how they catch these critters up
    > in the Bering Sea, apparently a very dangerous job.

    Damn. I hate you!!! :)

    They were running $12.00 per lb. here last time I checked.

    <sigh>

    Are they "running" or something?
    I'll have to check various local prices and see if they have come down!
    --
    Om.

  5. aem

    aem Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:
    > The Harris-Teeter had these on sale for less than $3 a pound so we are going
    > to gorge ourselves tonight (along with French fries and a salad). It's
    > timely because the TV just had a show about how they catch these critters up
    > in the Bering Sea, apparently a very dangerous job.

    What a great price! Melted or clarified butter and some lemon wedges
    and you're good to go. Even our Asian markets haven't had them that
    inexpensively. If you have any left over, a little goes a long way in
    an omelet, or very simple crab cakes ... or, we just melt some more
    butter and dip the cold crab in it. Some hunks of French bread and a
    glass of white wine. I think I know where I can get some reasonably
    priced Dungeness...see ya later. -aem

  6. PastaLover

    PastaLover Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:
    > The Harris-Teeter had these on sale for less than $3 a pound so we are going
    > to gorge ourselves tonight (along with French fries and a salad). It's
    > timely because the TV just had a show about how they catch these critters up
    > in the Bering Sea, apparently a very dangerous job.

    Where are you? I'll hope on the first plane for crab legs that cheap!

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I saw that show. I am assuming that it is the same one, because they
    > conditions
    > were so perilous that I can't imagine anyone doing a rival show. I had no
    > idea
    > that it was such a dangerous job. IIRC correctly, there were 5 boats ,
    > several
    > injuries and one fatality.

    Weird, on one hand, cheap crab legs! and in the same breath, and people
    got hurt or died getting them! (laugh) Know what I mean? Man, if I saw
    them that cheap that would have been my dinner, too.

    nancy

  8. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > Weird, on one hand, cheap crab legs! and in the same breath, and people
    > got hurt or died getting them! (laugh) Know what I mean? Man, if I saw
    > them that cheap that would have been my dinner, too.

    At $3 per pound I would be filling my freezer with them. The last time I bought
    them was probably 20 years ago. I bought enough for my wife and I to have a good
    feed of them for New Years Eve dinner, and at that time it was about $25. The
    last time I bothered looking at them in the grocery store it was about $15 for a
    package and I would have wanted 3 or 4 packages just for myself.