King cracking down on crap retailers

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    or is it something more sinister?

    [ http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/index.jsp ] JUNE 17, 2003 -- SHASTA LAKE
    (BRAIN)--High-end component maker King Cycle Group is requiring its dealers to sign an agreement and
    become authorized dealers.

    The company hopes the agreement will ensure retailers advertise, display and sell its products "in a
    manner consistent with their outstanding reputation for high quality and unique design features."

    The King Cycle Group (KCG) sent agreements to all of its U.S. dealers, including those that buy King
    products from distributors. According to KCG, its U.S. distributors have agreed to sell Chris King
    products only to authorized King dealers. Retailers must sign the agreement by June 30.

    As part of the agreement, KCG established two levels of authorized dealer: sales, and sales and
    service. Service dealers have to submit pictures of their store and service area to qualify, and
    meet other criteria. They will receive special perks, however, including a listing on Chris King

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | or is it something more sinister?
    |

    | [ http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/index.jsp ] JUNE 17, 2003 -- SHASTA LAKE
    | (BRAIN)--High-end component maker King Cycle
    Group is requiring its dealers to sign an agreement and
    | become authorized dealers.
    |
    | The company hopes the agreement will ensure retailers advertise, display
    and sell its products "in a manner consistent with their
    | outstanding reputation for high quality and unique design features."
    |
    | The King Cycle Group (KCG) sent agreements to all of its U.S. dealers,
    including those that buy King products from distributors.
    | According to KCG, its U.S. distributors have agreed to sell Chris King
    products only to authorized King dealers. Retailers must sign
    | the agreement by June 30.
    |
    | As part of the agreement, KCG established two levels of authorized dealer:
    sales, and sales and service. Service dealers have to
    | submit pictures of their store and service area to qualify, and meet other
    criteria. They will receive special perks, however,
    | including a listing on Chris King

    It's just another company instituting price controls on their products. Sell 'em cheap, you get your
    authorization yanked. Shimano's doing it, Specialized has done it for YEARS. It's not confined to
    the bike industry either. It's just a way to keep an item artificially high despite what normal
    economic forces drive it to.

    For me, I'll just keep using Cane Creek and Dia-Compe stuff (headquartered right here in pleasant
    North Carolina)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > For me, I'll just keep using Cane Creek and Dia-Compe stuff (headquartered right here in pleasant
    > North Carolina)

    My first set of V brakes were Diacomp........and my second......and third........all within 2
    months - after that, I even gave up *trying* to get replacements - the brake calliper quality was
    utter shit - the alu kept on cracking in the pivot area, and they refused to stay centred for more
    than a day.

    The brake levers however, _are_ excellent, and I have one of them still going strong on the BASE
    right now (the other being in good order but not used), despite several hard knocks from crashes and
    general clumsiness, and about 7 or 8 years total use.

    Shaun aRe

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    |
    | > For me, I'll just keep using Cane Creek and Dia-Compe stuff
    (headquartered
    | > right here in pleasant North Carolina)
    |
    | My first set of V brakes were Diacomp........and my second......and third........all within 2
    | months - after that, I even gave up *trying* to get replacements - the brake calliper quality was
    | utter shit - the alu
    kept
    | on cracking in the pivot area, and they refused to stay centred for more than a day.

    I had completely forgotten about the V-brakes (since the post was about King, I was just thinking
    about Aheadsets.) We had a name for brakes that wouldn't stay centered - Diacomping. Their brakes
    were absolute pure crap. El Cheapo Tektro brakes were better. Now I just use Avids or non-parallel
    push Shimano brakes (Deore and Alivio)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/10/2003

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > | Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | > For me, I'll just keep using Cane Creek and Dia-Compe stuff
    > (headquartered
    > | > right here in pleasant North Carolina)
    > |
    > | My first set of V brakes were Diacomp........and my second......and third........all within 2
    > | months - after that, I even gave up *trying*
    > | get replacements - the brake calliper quality was utter shit - the alu
    > kept
    > | on cracking in the pivot area, and they refused to stay centred for more than a day.
    >
    > I had completely forgotten about the V-brakes (since the post was about King, I was just thinking
    > about Aheadsets.) We had a name for brakes that wouldn't stay centered - Diacomping. Their brakes
    > were absolute pure
    crap.

    Heheheheh - true! The castings themselves just fell apart, as well as the centering issue. I must
    admit, I have had a similar problem with every 'coil' sprung V set I've come across, never one with
    the 'rod' sprung though.

    Like I said - their levers are pretty darned tough, however!

    > El Cheapo Tektro brakes were better. Now I just use Avids or non-parallel push Shimano brakes
    > (Deore and Alivio)

    Yeah - I got just plain old cheap Shimano on the back of the BASE and they work just fine.

    Shaun aRe

  6. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    > Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > For me, I'll just keep using Cane Creek and Dia-Compe stuff (headquartered right here in
    > > pleasant North Carolina)
    >
    > My first set of V brakes were Diacomp........and my second......and third........all within 2
    > months - after that, I even gave up *trying* to get replacements - the brake calliper quality was
    > utter shit - the alu kept on cracking in the pivot area, and they refused to stay centred for more
    > than a day.
    >
    > The brake levers however, _are_ excellent, and I have one of them still going strong on the BASE
    > right now (the other being in good order but not used), despite several hard knocks from crashes
    > and general clumsiness, and about 7 or 8 years total use.
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    I used to have some Dia-Compe MX900s on my BMX. They had these cool levers, shaped with individual
    semi-circles for the index and middle fingers.

    /s

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | > > For me, I'll just keep using Cane Creek and Dia-Compe stuff
    (headquartered
    | > > right here in pleasant North Carolina)
    | >
    | > My first set of V brakes were Diacomp........and my second......and third........all within 2
    | > months - after that, I even gave up *trying*
    | > get replacements - the brake calliper quality was utter shit - the alu
    kept
    | > on cracking in the pivot area, and they refused to stay centred for more than a day.
    | >
    | > The brake levers however, _are_ excellent, and I have one of them still going strong on the BASE
    | > right now (the other being in good order but
    not
    | > used), despite several hard knocks from crashes and general clumsiness,
    and
    | > about 7 or 8 years total use.
    | >
    | > Shaun aRe
    |

    | I used to have some Dia-Compe MX900s on my BMX. They had these cool levers, shaped with individual
    | semi-circles for the index and middle fingers.

    That sounds like a Tektro Talon - the best selling BMX V-brake lever we ever had.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/16/2003

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    news:<[email protected]>... <snip crap>

    Here's a headline for you:

    AM-B Cracking Down On Crap Posters

    Thanks again for nothing, newsboy.

    JD

  9. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As part of the agreement, KCG established two levels of authorized dealer: sales, and sales and
    >service. Service dealers have to submit pictures of their store and service area to qualify, and
    >meet other criteria. They will receive special perks, however, including a listing on Chris King

    A "listing on Chris King"? Is it tattoo'd on permanently, or does he just wear the listing on
    his T shirt or something? If it IS a tattoo, I would imagine he wouldn't be too anxious to
    cancel a dealer.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >As part of the agreement, KCG established two levels of authorized
    dealer: sales, and sales and service. Service dealers have to
    > >submit pictures of their store and service area to qualify, and meet
    other criteria. They will receive special perks, however,
    > >including a listing on Chris King
    >
    > A "listing on Chris King"? Is it tattoo'd on permanently, or does he just wear the listing on
    > his T shirt or something? If it IS a tattoo, I would imagine he wouldn't be too anxious to
    > cancel a dealer.

    Ahhhh, tattoos is fer pussies.

    Shaun aRe - Real me have bone engravings.

  11. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > | > Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | > news:[email protected]...

    > (headquartered
    > | >
    > | > My first set of V brakes were Diacomp........and my second......and third........all within 2
    > | > months - after that, I even gave up *trying*
    > | > get replacements - the brake calliper quality was utter shit - the alu
    > kept
    > | > on cracking in the pivot area, and they refused to stay centred for more than a day.
    > | >
    > | > The brake levers however, _are_ excellent, and I have one of them still going strong on the
    > | > BASE right now (the other being in good order but
    > not
    > | > used), despite several hard knocks from crashes and general clumsiness,
    > and
    > | > about 7 or 8 years total use.
    > | >
    > | > Shaun aRe
    > |

    > | I used to have some Dia-Compe MX900s on my BMX. They had these cool levers, shaped with
    > | individual semi-circles for the index and middle fingers.
    >
    > That sounds like a Tektro Talon - the best selling BMX V-brake lever we ever had.
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    Sorta. If the curve for the middle finger was as rounded as the index's, it would be pretty close.
    It looked a lot like this, but black. http://www.bmxnonstop.com/oldschool/harolev.htm Schweet! /s

  12. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >As part of the agreement, KCG established two levels of authorized
    > dealer: sales, and sales and service. Service dealers have to
    > > >submit pictures of their store and service area to qualify, and meet
    > other criteria. They will receive special perks, however,
    > > >including a listing on Chris King
    > >
    > > A "listing on Chris King"? Is it tattoo'd on permanently, or does he just wear the listing on
    > > his T shirt or something? If it IS a tattoo, I would imagine he wouldn't be too anxious to
    > > cancel a dealer.
    >
    > Ahhhh, tattoos is fer pussies.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Real me have bone engravings.

    Hehehe...just call 'im Scrimshaw Shaun!

    Mike - aRRRRe Matey!

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > dealer: sales, and sales and service. Service dealers have to
    > > other criteria. They will receive special perks, however,
    > > >
    > > > A "listing on Chris King"? Is it tattoo'd on permanently, or does he just wear the listing on
    > > > his T shirt or something? If it IS a tattoo, I would imagine he wouldn't be too anxious to
    > > > cancel a dealer.
    > >
    > > Ahhhh, tattoos is fer pussies.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - Real me have bone engravings.
    > >

    > Hehehe...just call 'im Scrimshaw Shaun!

    Heheheheh - that'll do nicely ',;~}~

    Whatcha gonna call me for having a Ti bone piercing then?

    > Mike - aRRRRe Matey!

    Ugh! You just get worse, heheheheh.....

    Shaun aRe