Kingdom of Fife Cycleway

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by pater, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. pater

    pater Guest

    I am tempted to head off to Fife this week to discover some of the
    Kingdom cycleway.
    Any recommendations about the best traffic-free/off road sections?
    Thanks
    Pater.

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    pater wrote:
    > I am tempted to head off to Fife this week to discover some of the
    > Kingdom cycleway.
    > Any recommendations about the best traffic-free/off road sections?

    Tentsmuir is traffic free and by the sea, but otherwise flat and not
    particularly interesting. Pitmedden forest is supposed to be more fun.

    Most of it is very light traffic (<10 cars/hour) and what there is is
    generally very well behaved. The bit along the Tay Estuary is nice. I'm
    sure some of the coastal bits are too.

    ...d

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    pater wrote:
    > I am tempted to head off to Fife this week to discover some of the
    > Kingdom cycleway.
    > Any recommendations about the best traffic-free/off road sections?

    Most of it runs on wee backroads. And is much the better for it, IMHO.
    There are some cracking hills which really benefit from the extra room
    a road affords, and the roads are usually minor enough that there's very
    minimal traffic in any case. I like the Balmerino/Leuchars/Tayport
    circuit myself (and the new path they've put in linking Tayport to the
    Tay Bridge is a good example of a cycle path well done).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > pater wrote:
    > > I am tempted to head off to Fife this week to discover some of the
    > > Kingdom cycleway.
    > > Any recommendations about the best traffic-free/off road sections?

    > Most of it runs on wee backroads. And is much the better for it, IMHO.
    > There are some cracking hills which really benefit from the extra room
    > a road affords, and the roads are usually minor enough that there's very
    > minimal traffic in any case. I like the Balmerino/Leuchars/Tayport
    > circuit myself (and the new path they've put in linking Tayport to the
    > Tay Bridge is a good example of a cycle path well done).

    It was till they 'upgraded' it with barriers..

    Otherwise it is excellent. Old railway track, tarmac surface, wide,
    good sightlines.

    ...d