Kinky Zipper.......

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jerry Rhodes, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    Oh Woe is ME!!!!!!

    The Zipper fairing on my new pre-owned GRR has a kink in it where I must have jammed it against
    something.

    Does anybody have any ideas on how to "iron" it out?? I am thinking that careful application of heat
    from a heat gun might cause it to "remember" what it looked like before the kink. My worry is that
    maybe it will "remember" when it was flat sheet.

    How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there some
    sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic "fender
    washers" on each side to distribute the load.

    Aside from that, this thing is great. I am commuting to work everyday. I was using my wife's EZ-1
    Lite but the GRR is much FASTER!!! 20% to be exact.

    Jerry

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Oh Woe is ME!!!!!!
    >
    > The Zipper fairing on my new pre-owned GRR has a kink in it where I must have jammed it against
    > something.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas on how to "iron" it out?? I am thinking that careful application of
    > heat from a heat gun might cause it to "remember" what it looked like before the kink. My worry is
    > that maybe it will "remember" when it was flat sheet.

    A heat gun (Hair dryer Maybe better) should help with kinks. I would leave it in placeon the bike
    for the operation.

    > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.

    Your local Office supply should have sticky backed sheets of clear plastic Laminate. Cut sections
    of this a little larger than the spider web cracks. Apply a sheet of laminate to each side
    creating a sandwich around the mounting holes. Drill out the laminate covered mounting hole. The
    Zzipper on my RANS Stratus lasted nearly two years repaired this way. It was still working well
    when I sold the bike.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Harv

    Harv Guest

    You can try a hair dryer, but the heat deflection temp of polycarb is over 250°F, you would probably
    need an industrial heat gun to pop out a krinkle. "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Oh Woe is ME!!!!!!
    >
    > The Zipper fairing on my new pre-owned GRR has a kink in it where I must have jammed it against
    > something.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas on how to "iron" it out?? I am thinking that careful application of
    > heat from a heat gun might cause it to "remember" what it looked like before the kink. My worry is
    > that maybe it will "remember" when it was flat sheet.
    >
    > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.
    >
    > Aside from that, this thing is great. I am commuting to work everyday. I was using my wife's EZ-1
    > Lite but the GRR is much FASTER!!! 20% to be exact.
    >
    > Jerry

  4. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.

    > Jerry

    If it's the bottom mounting holes where obscuring them won't obscure your road vision, you can use
    ordinary strapping tape. The Word from Karl himself.

    C.C.

  5. Jt

    Jt Guest

    "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.

    Standard technique for cracks in brittle plastics is to drill a hole at the end - stops 'em
    propagating.

  6. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    "Carol Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB166B04.4D77F%[email protected]...

    > If it's the bottom mounting holes where obscuring them won't obscure your road vision, you can use
    > ordinary strapping tape. The Word from Karl himself.

    If you are not worried about clear tape on the bottom holes, why not use a reflective tape?

  7. Bill & Gerri

    Bill & Gerri Guest

    Here' what I found after talking with Karl at Zzipper regarding cracks at the bottom mounting
    hole location:

    My fairing has had a bad crack across one of the lower mounting holes due to my not maintaing it
    correctly as it's a 1992 model. I called Karl and he had the following options based on my budget:

    1. New fairing at $210 with a $25 credit for recycling the old fairing
    2. He'd send me a repair kit for $10.
    3. He'd send at no cost instructions on how I could cut the bottom and thus shorten the
    fairing myself.
    4. He'd cut off the bottoms and trim up the fairing for me for $20.

    Since I sometimes can't walk and chew gum at the same time I'm taking option
    #4.

    So, remember to call Karl for quick, economical solutions if you have any problems with
    your fairing!

    regards,

    Bill

    "jt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.
    >
    > Standard technique for cracks in brittle plastics is to drill a hole at
    the
    > end - stops 'em propagating.

  8. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "jt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.
    >
    > Standard technique for cracks in brittle plastics is to drill a hole at the end - stops 'em
    > propagating.

    Call Karl Abbe at Zzip Designs, at 888-946-7276 and ask him. Karl is always approachable and I am
    sure would provide you the help you need.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

  9. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Actually polycarbonate is hardly brittle having a notched izod value of about 18 (flaky memory and
    not having a material guide handy). High impact polystyrene (that's an oxymoron) has an NI value of
    about 1.That's brittle and drilling a hole won't do squat to keep a crack from propagating. Drilling
    a hole at the end of a crack in DUCTILE materials SOP, this includes chrome moly BTW. "jt"

    > "Jerry Rhodes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.
    >
    > Standard technique for cracks in brittle plastics is to drill a hole at
    the
    > end - stops 'em propagating.

  10. [email protected] (Jerry Rhodes) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Oh Woe is ME!!!!!!
    >
    > How have Zipper users contended with the inevitable cracks around the mounting holes? Is there
    > some sticky glue that will hold on the plastic? I am thinking of "gooping" some hard plastic
    > "fender washers" on each side to distribute the load.

    I had Rock Lobster frames build a long mount, so I could mount a Zzipper fairing overhead to a roll
    bar on my TerraTrike. I had it on my previous Thebis, and Tour Easy.

    No cracks around the mounting holes at all, so it was evitable! I have no experience repairing
    fairing cracks but it would make sense to me to find a rubber grommet from a hardware store, auto
    wrecker (Honda floor pans ae one source) to avoid scrapes.

    I would try tape, as mentioned, AFTER calling Karl! Sorry I couldn't help more.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.