Kinlochleven to Bridge of Orchy - WHW conditions?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Judith, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:11:52 -0000, "Rob Devereux"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> .... so I couldn't get much further South!

    > >Exactly, that was what I was thinking but clearly it is ok, so dont

    worry.
    > >I am just surprised that anyone would take a route that low but it might

    be
    > >beneficial and you'll have empty space which could be great. People tend

    > >vary their routes on the way anyway depending on how they feel and how
    > >difficult it is. Sometimes they meet up with other TGOC's and divert.
    > >

    > When I was planning the route I was completely overwhelmed by the size
    > of the task. I was /definitely/ not taking a tent, so I had to plan
    > days which would take me into civilisation and which I was guaranteed
    > to finish. You can't really give up 3/4 of the way through if you've
    > got a room booked and no shelter with you. This means that my route
    > does look a bit "odd" as it drops down South and then works East.
    >
    > I've now decided I will take my tent (fly only) and am planning two
    > nights camping. If I had known this beforehand then perhaps my route
    > would be more to the North of the area?

    As I said, so long as you notify them of route changes when you walk, they
    dont mind. People often deviate to hang out with others. I would certianly
    take something to camp in - you can of course bothy for the night in places
    like Balmoral if you dont want to carry the weight.

    Rob

  2. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:44:04 +0000, Peter Clinch
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> Lochailort to Lunan Bay (without a tent) is
    > >> the plan

    > >Lunan Bay's a nice place to finish, lovely sandy beach and often good
    > >surf. If you fancy a gastronomic pat on the back then a little South at
    > >Auchmithie is a very good eatery called the But 'n Ben which comes
    > >recommended.
    > >
    > >It's just up the road from us, so drop us a line nearer the time if you
    > >want to subside somewhere locally when you've done.

    > Cheers
    >
    > I have my final night's (ie the day I finish the walk) accommodation
    > booked in Montrose. I'm not sure whether to head home next day or
    > have a day off and explore that part of Scotland. Perhaps I'll have
    > had my fill by then, though!

    Where are you staying? Are you going to the thursday night meal at the
    Park - well recommended.

    Rob

  3. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:19:56 -0000, "Rob Devereux"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I have my final night's (ie the day I finish the walk) accommodation
    >> booked in Montrose. I'm not sure whether to head home next day or
    >> have a day off and explore that part of Scotland. Perhaps I'll have
    >> had my fill by then, though!

    >Where are you staying? Are you going to the thursday night meal at the
    >Park - well recommended.

    I'm staying in the Links but going to the do at the Park. Shouldn't
    be too far to stagger afterwards!

    Judith

  4. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:19:56 -0000, "Rob Devereux"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> I have my final night's (ie the day I finish the walk) accommodation
    > >> booked in Montrose. I'm not sure whether to head home next day or
    > >> have a day off and explore that part of Scotland. Perhaps I'll have
    > >> had my fill by then, though!

    > >Where are you staying? Are you going to the thursday night meal at the
    > >Park - well recommended.

    > I'm staying in the Links but going to the do at the Park. Shouldn't
    > be too far to stagger afterwards!

    Not sure where that is as have only ever used the B&Bs in the town. The
    Park is always good, particularly if they have a Ceilidh...You also might
    want to watch out for two Southerners in their thirties drinking copious
    amounts of whisky - one will be my brother and the other a good friend -
    their count last time we walked it was 13 for one and 12 for the other -
    still not quite sure how they made it for breakfast ;-)