Kirk mountain bikes??

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by falcons, May 20, 2003.

  1. falcons

    falcons New Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    Does anyone have any knowledge about what happened to the company that manufactured the Kirk road and mountain bikes? I've had one of the mountain bikes for years now, but the rear derailleur hanger has broken. Unfortunately the design means that there is no other part that can be used to replace this, so I've got a perfectly good bike that is only good for gathering dust now... Any ideas or suggestions about finding a replacement hanger?

    cheers

    Tags:

  2. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 20 May 2003 23:00:40 +0950, falcons <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any knowledge about what happened to the company that manufactured the Kirk road
    >and mountain bikes?

    Gone. No trace remains.

    This place in Brighton http://www.g-whizzcycles.co.uk/stockspec.html claims to have one in stock !
    Only £100 too...

    >so I've got a perfectly good bike that is only good for gathering dust now.

    A Kirk ? Isn't it making its own dust by now ?

    You can weld it. Yes, weld it. Mg is weldable, just not easy to do (It's beyond me, but I've seen
    plenty of '60s sports and racing cars repaired in this way)

    Failing that, I think you're needing a milling machine and some terrible kludge of a sandwich plate
    repair. You might be able to fit a replaceable derailleur hanger from some other frame by machining
    an appropriate recess in the Kirk.

  3. falcons

    falcons New Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    Well, the good news is that the hanger is designed to brake if the derailleur is hit to protect the frame. There is no damage to the frame and the hanger is made of aluminium...

  4. Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 20 May 2003 23:00:40 +0950, falcons <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any knowledge about what happened to the company that manufactured the Kirk road
    > >and mountain bikes?
    >
    > Gone. No trace remains.

    Distributed through Dawes, though, I seem to recall, so don't know if they'd be able to assist.

    > This place in Brighton http://www.g-whizzcycles.co.uk/stockspec.html claims to have one in stock !
    > Only £100 too...

    Though the "only frame made of magnesium alloy" tag no longer applies; the Halfords Carrera range
    has both Mg MTB and road bikes. Thankfully, the latter has gained a rather more tasteful paint job
    for 2003 (and no longer looks as though it's been sneezed on!). On the other hand, Saracen's Mg road
    bike seems to have been dropped for this year in favour of Al with carbon rear stays.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  5. "falcons" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone have any knowledge about what happened to the company that manufactured the Kirk road
    > and mountain bikes? I've had one of the mountain bikes for years now, but the rear derailleur
    > hanger has broken. Unfortunately the design means that there is no other part that can be used to
    > replace this, so I've got a perfectly good bike that is only good for gathering dust now... Any
    > ideas or suggestions about finding a replacement hanger?
    >
    > cheers

    You could use a piece of bamboo to fix the damaged part of the frame/hanger, might stiffen it
    up a bit ;-0

    Dave.

  6. [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > On the other hand, Saracen's Mg road bike seems to have been dropped for this year in favour of Al
    > with carbon rear stays.

    Oops - I was wrong! Just been to the Saracen site, and they're still using Mg alloy for the Galibier
    this year after all.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    falcons wrote:
    > Does anyone have any knowledge about what happened to the company that manufactured the Kirk road
    > and mountain bikes? I've had one of the mountain bikes for years now, but the rear derailleur
    > hanger has broken. Unfortunately the design means that there is no other part that can be used to
    > replace this, so I've got a perfectly good bike that is only good for gathering dust now... Any
    > ideas or suggestions about finding a replacement hanger?

    Advertise? There ought to be a lot of spare hangers about, because the Kirk was supplied with a
    spare hanger when new. If you're luck someone might have one and still remember what it is. I
    suppose I ought to still have my spare one somewhere... it could take weeks to find it though, even
    if it hasn't been thrown away. If you've still got the remains of the old one, it should be possible
    to get one made. I can't remember what the originals were made from: was it alloy, or resin? They
    are designed to be weaker than the frame so you break the hanger rather than the frame if it gets
    crunched. It you make one, don't use steel: never put any steel bits in contact with a Kirk frame or
    it will corrode.

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  8. Bakkersma

    Bakkersma New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2003
    Dear Kirk owners,

    By accident I own a kirk frame and I woulld to make a new bike out of it. I prefer to stay close to the original, so I need some advise reagarding the parts which were used on the frame (brand type) some general specs and preferably some tips about what to do and what certainly not to do.

    What kind of bolts, grease, material of connecting parts like Bottom Bracket, seat pipe, steering head.

    So basically everything there's to know about a Kirk MTB.

    You can mail me directly of you like [email protected]

    regards, KLAAS

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Bakkersma wrote:
    > Dear Kirk owners,
    >

    > So basically everything there's to know about a Kirk MTB.

    The only thing you need to know for when you've finished is not to ride it. The frames were
    notorious for breaking

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  10. Pattledom

    Pattledom Guest

    Bakkersma wrote:
    > Dear Kirk owners,
    >
    > By accident I own a kirk frame and I woulld to make a new bike out of
    > it. I prefer to stay close to the original, so I need some advise reagarding the parts which were
    > used on the frame (brand type) some general specs and preferably some tips about what to do
    > and what certainly not to do.
    >
    > What kind of bolts, grease, material of connecting parts like Bottom Bracket, seat pipe,
    > steering head.
    >
    > So basically everything there's to know about a Kirk MTB.

    Well, like any make of bike, there were Kirks and there were Kirks... the quality of the group set
    depended on how much you paid. It it an MTB - they did road bikes too. On the road frame the "chain
    stays" run from botom bracket to rear wheel, on the MTB frame they run from about halfway up the
    "seat tube" to the rear wheel.

    The most important thing to remember is not to let anything steel touch the frame. If you look at
    it, you see that the frame is fitted with aluminium bushes where any bolts or other steel parts are
    fitted. If steel comes in to direct contact with the frame it will corrode.

    There should be a special gear hanger too. If the rear mech gets a serious knock, the hanger will
    break rather than cause any damage to the frame.

    My Kirk is a long way from standard now (in fact, I've converted to a trike) and I can't really
    remember what the original parts were... except that it had a Biopace chain set.

    They're a good bike (don't believe all the silly stories people will try and tell you about them) -
    a very rigid frame that's pleasant to ride. Mine gave many thousands of miles service. I took it off
    the road when the replacement chain, chainwheels, cassette, bottom bracket and tyres were all needed
    at more or less the same time, and it worked out cheaper to buy a new bike. Then, because it was
    looking sad and neglected, I brought it back to life as a trike.

    --
    Andrew Pattle

  11. The MTB frames were terrible. Mine cracked. The problem is that the BB was on a stalk which
    transmitted great twisting moment to the bike when you stood up. It was inevitable that it would
    crack. The worst bike by far I've ever ridden, though the best-looking.