Kirk Precision derailleurcoupling

Ben

Guest
I´m restoring a Kirk Precision from the early nineties. When I was
mounting the rear derailleur the coupling piece between frame and
derailleur was broken. It´s irepairable so I´m looking for another
(new) one. Who can help me onto seach device???

On 7 Nov 2005 11:32:58 -0800, "Ben" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I´m restoring a Kirk Precision from the early nineties. When I was
>mounting the rear derailleur the coupling piece between frame and
>derailleur was broken. It´s irepairable so I´m looking for another
>(new) one. Who can help me onto seach device???

This is a problematic one -- google for it on nl.fiets, assuming you speak
Dutch. It's come up there before this year.

Jasper

You need to contact Simon Hayden of the UK:
[email protected]

Simon is an expert in Kirk Mg frames and should be able to provide you
with the info you need. In fact, here's his response to me about Kirk
frames:

" know alot of the MTB frames were prone to separating at the rear and
had some lateral flex at the front, but I rode one for 6 yrs and I only
had to glue the aluminium plate back in. The frames had aluminum
inserts to prevent the steel axles, headset and brake bosses from
corroding the magnesium, and it was the epoxy resin used that wasn't
strong enough. I've thrown my bike about all over the place and not
had any problems or concerns (the bike frame was actually driven over
on live TV to prove it's strength, a feat impossible to replicate with
a standard tubular frame back then). Did you know that TVM rode them
in the Tour de France? That's one race you don't want to enter with an
unreliable bike!

I know you don't like the look of the bike and over here it did get a
bit of a mixed press about its looks, but from personal experience I've
never known another bike to turn so many heads. In it's original gloss
black finish, everybody I met out on the trails would compliment it or
ask what it was, and now that I've resprayed it and updated all of the
sticker work with my own designs, it looks even better. Have a look
and see what you think:

http://www.haydn-automation.co.uk/kirk.htm

I rarely see Kirks nowadays, but then it's over 10yrs since they were
on sale, although whilst out in Norway I saw quite a few. Whilst out
there I bought a fully working racer and it too has done quite a few
miles, compared to a modern frame it flexes at the BB, but in terms of
acceleration it's nice and responsive.

A few appear for sale on eBay now and again, because I would like to
get hold of the Hybrid version, respray it and update it. It's such an
interesting bike and I think that's why most people bought them. An
eBayer (see below) recently linked to my website, as they were selling
the racer and I had a few interesting emails appear in my Inbox.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7145016103&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

You may have noticed that I like the Kirk design alot and I am well
known for being passionate about the things I own, but heh, each to
their own. Anyway, if you've got any questions, you're more than
welcome to ask or point other people to my website."

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2005 11:32:58 -0800, "Ben" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>I´m restoring a Kirk Precision from the early nineties. When I was
>>mounting the rear derailleur the coupling piece between frame and
>>derailleur was broken. It´s irepairable so I´m looking for another
>>(new) one. Who can help me onto seach device???

> This is a problematic one -- google for it on nl.fiets, assuming you speak
> Dutch. It's come up there before this year.
>
> Jasper

Maybe it was Ben ;-)

Lou
--