Kiss N Ride and new fixie.

Andrew

Guest
Spotted this at the Dinmore station commuter carpark and had a giggle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105029229/

Closer shot of the new fixie, yay for new bikes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105031195/

I also made a camera mount from a PET bottle, a hoseclamp and some 1/4"
hardware:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/100424520/

Jaywoo: I haven't taken it past the carpark yet, I think the heft of my
camera could cause problems and loosen the wingnut. The hoseclamp isn't
going to let go. A small light camera would be best, but not as cool as
the Oregon Scientific ATC-1000 video camera with SD storage.

AB.

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Spotted this at the Dinmore station commuter carpark and had a giggle:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105029229/
>
> Closer shot of the new fixie, yay for new bikes:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105031195/
>
> I also made a camera mount from a PET bottle, a hoseclamp and some 1/4"
> hardware:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/100424520/
>
> Jaywoo: I haven't taken it past the carpark yet, I think the heft of my
> camera could cause problems and loosen the wingnut. The hoseclamp isn't
> going to let go. A small light camera would be best, but not as cool as
> the Oregon Scientific ATC-1000 video camera with SD storage.
>
> AB.

Nice! Very Nice! Did you find out any more info on the origins of the
Sorenson?

On 2006-02-27, Andrew (aka Bruce)
> Spotted this at the Dinmore station commuter carpark and had a giggle:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105029229/
>
> Closer shot of the new fixie, yay for new bikes:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105031195/

What's the second spoke card?

--
TimC
> So, what do *you* do for a living?

I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders

In aus.bicycle on 26 Feb 2006 20:39:31 -0800
Andrew <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jaywoo: I haven't taken it past the carpark yet, I think the heft of my
> camera could cause problems and loosen the wingnut. The hoseclamp isn't

I thought it would be more likely to tear the bottle.

Zebee

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Spotted this at the Dinmore station commuter carpark and had a giggle:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105029229/
>
> Closer shot of the new fixie, yay for new bikes:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/85942209@N00/105031195/

What are there 3 levers for? Looks like one for the brake, and two to
support the rubber hoods?!? Be nice to get rid of those somehow. Bullhorns?
Improvised bullhorns by flipping your drop bars and chopping the ends orf?

Cheers
David M

> From: retrograded
> Nice! Very Nice! Did you find out any more info on the origins of the
> Sorenson?

Not yet, I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some contact
details for the builder. It's a nice ride though, regardless of when it
was built, or from what.

> From: TimC
> What's the second spoke card?

Fiestacat (aka clichekitty) and Happycat (both from the SA forums)

Happycat: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/Happycat.jpg
Fiestacat: http://www.bigstan.net/fiestacat.gif

> From: cfsmtb
> a.b card knock off ?!? :confused:

Nuh-uh, I made that card up in Sept '05, you copied me! The other side
has a joker riding a bike.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a3/Bicycle_cards.jpg/200px-Bicycle_cards.jpg

> From: SuzieB
> Ohhhh that's a lovely looking bike!
>
> What's the kiss and ride idea?

Thank you, a few more tweaks and it'll be just right. I don't like the
fade paint job much though, so perhaps a repaint sometime soon.

KNR is where loving spouse drops off the breadwinner at the train
station, gives them a kiss and sends them on their way. For those with
no loving spouse, they get to 'Park N Ride'

I thought that it was better with bicycle connotations though.

> From: Zebee Johnstone
> I thought it would be more likely to tear the bottle.

It will if there's much material below the clamp, you need to trim the
curve so it's in line with the curve of the clamp, and tightening it
won't tear the bottle as it clamps down.

> From: Davidm
> What are there 3 levers for? Looks like one for the brake, and two to
> support the rubber hoods?!? Be nice to get rid of those somehow. Bullhorns?
> Improvised bullhorns by flipping your drop bars and chopping the ends orf?

Eh? What levers? Are you looking at the same photo as me?
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=105031195&size=o <- no visible
levers, as the 'cross lever is hidden. The strange loopy thing under
the speedo is a toe strap that I use as a handbrake to stop the bike
rolling away on the train.

Ohh, you're looking at the photo of the Raleigh with camera mount, that
did have 1 'cross lever and 2 aero levers, and the aeros were for the
horns, with the RHS hooked up inline with the 'cross lever. That photo
is mirrored, because it was taken in front of an, err, mirror.

So, yeah, they're gone now, and as soon as I get some more cheap drops
I'll chop 'em. I over chopped my old ones and they're way too short
now. Plus they were 38cm, too narrow. The current drops are ergos, and
won't chop well.

> From Jaywoo
> Pimpin'! I haven't seen a rear flasher mounted there. Good spot.

Yeah, it wouldn't fit under the saddlebag, so I mucked about and that
worked nicely. Another plus is that you have to loosen the entire clamp
to get the light off, nyer nyer thieves.

On 2006-02-27, Andrew (aka Bruce)
> Yeah, it wouldn't fit under the saddlebag, so I mucked about and that
> worked nicely. Another plus is that you have to loosen the entire clamp
> to get the light off, nyer nyer thieves.

Doesn't block the view of the light from angles?

--
TimC
My cats are forbidden from walking on my computer keyboard on the desk

> Doesn't block the view of the light from angles?

Slightly, but there's 6 leds facing back, and 2 on each side, so
there's plenty of light, even with some blocked.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:11:37 +1100, SuzieB wrote:

> What's the kiss and ride idea?

Kind of like park and ride, but nearest and dearest drops you off at the
station in the car, gives you a kiss and drives off. I first saw this
(actually a kiss and fly) when a colleague dropped me off at Nice airport.
Even though it was France, I wasn't going to let him kiss me and thankfully
he wasn't inclined to either :)

Graeme

Graeme Dods said:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:11:37 +1100, SuzieB wrote:

> What's the kiss and ride idea?

Kind of like park and ride, but nearest and dearest drops you off at the
station in the car, gives you a kiss and drives off. I first saw this
(actually a kiss and fly) when a colleague dropped me off at Nice airport.
Even though it was France, I wasn't going to let him kiss me and thankfully
he wasn't inclined to either :)

Graeme
I think it's a gorgeous idea. I love things like that are slightly off centre. :D

SuzieB said:
Ohhhh that's a lovely looking bike!

What's the kiss and ride idea?
KISS = Keep It Single Speed

so...Keep It Single Speed and Ride

:D :D :D

SteveA

Graeme Dods wrote:
> SuzieB wrote:

>> What's the kiss and ride idea?

> Kind of like park and ride, but nearest and dearest drops you off at
> the station in the car, gives you a kiss and drives off.

Some off the suburban railway station in Perth, particularly on the Northern
line, have special "Kiss and Ride" lanes where your SO can drop you off
right at the station entrance.

Theo