General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Kitchen Collecting?

Started by Andy · · Last activity · 89 posts · 593 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 May 2007
Last activity
26 May 2007
Original author
Andy
Posts
89
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
593
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 89
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. James Silverton said:

    I tend to save those seal-tabs too to replace twist ties but, since
    they don't usually survive more a few re-uses, I don't have a great
    accumulation.

    Ha. I'm the opposite, I save twist ties and replace the tabs.

    Brian

    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

  2. Chatty Cathy said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    rosie said:

    I collect chickens and roosters! Have them all over the kitchen, also
    a rooster rug!
    Rosie

    Quoted message said:

    What do you do with all the [censored] and feathers?
    Doesn't the crowing keep you awake???

    Quoted message said:

    ;-)

    I was wondering the same thing... I keep mine out in the back yard 😉
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy - who knows what rosie means

    Nah, all my chicks are poopless and never make a sound!
    Rosie

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    rosie said:
    Chatty Cathy said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
     rosie <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > I collect chickens and roosters! Have them all over the kitchen, also
    > a rooster rug!
    > Rosie

    Quoted message said:

    What do you do with all the [censored] and feathers?
    Doesn't the crowing keep you awake???

    Quoted message said:

    ;-)

    I was wondering the same thing... I keep mine out in the back yard 😉
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy - who knows what rosie means

    Nah, all my chicks are poopless and never make a sound!
    Rosie

    Jpegs???
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  4. rosie said:

    I collect chickens and roosters! Have them all over the kitchen, also
    a rooster rug!
    Rosie

    You must be like my one sister-in-law, but maybe you have a less serious
    affliction of chicken collecting than she does. It seems every square inch of
    kitchen wall and counter has some chicken theme item on it. There's more in the
    dining room. But she doesn't have a chicken rug... yet! ;-)

    I seem to remember this starting when they had live chickens in the yard. Four
    of them at a time. They raised them for eggs, but how many eggs can you use, or
    even give away. Four chickens means about 120 eggs a month! Eventually the live
    chickens ended, but the ceramic ones picked up with a vengeance.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  5. Andy q said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins, etc.
    I probably have about 50.

    What do you collect?

    Andy

    My MIL saved every ( food ) plastic container.
    She had a closet-ful of margarine, sour cream, jello, etc containers.
    AND ... she could never find the right lid for the right container.
    We tried to clean 'em out one day, and she fought us tooth and nail.

    ( God Bless the new ZipLoc or GLAD food containers )

    <rj>

  6. Andy said...

    Quoted message said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins,
    etc. I probably have about 50.

    Sorry, a minor over-estimation!

    Currently at 34.

    http://www.tinypic.com/678oitv.jpg

    Andy

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    James Silverton said:

    I tend to save those seal-tabs too to replace twist ties but, since
    they don't usually survive more a few re-uses, I don't have a great
    accumulation.

    Ha. I'm the opposite, I save twist ties and replace the tabs.

    Brian


    I was going to say the same thing (save twist ties to replace plastic),
    but so many others do that... I also have lots of drinking glasses
    from the late 50's, early 60's. One of each pattern in the kitchen,
    and a closet full of sets elsewhere in the house. Plus, my sisters
    know its a cheap gift that thrills me if they find a neat-o glass at a
    yard sale for 50 cents...

    steve s

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    RJ said:
    Andy q said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins, etc.
    I probably have about 50.

    Quoted message said:

    My MIL saved every ( food ) plastic container.
    She had a closet-ful of margarine, sour cream, jello, etc containers.
    AND ... she could never find the right lid for the right container.
    We tried to clean 'em out one day, and she fought us tooth and nail.

    Oh Lordie, that reminds me of my daughter. She's a hoarder and saves
    everything imaginable--- ties, bottle caps, string, rubber bands,
    plastic forks & spoons & knives, little packets of anything edible,
    fortune cookies & the fortunes, empty tubes, cardboard, virtually
    anything you can possibly imagine. I am constantly finding things
    stuffed in drawers (especially plastic) or hidden away in the most
    unlikely places. One day I threw out bags and bags of plastic
    containers ... you know, like from sour cream, cottage cheese, etc---
    and she cried. I think she's taken Martha Stewart and frugality much
    too seriously! OTOH, she does often make very interesting things out of
    her "collection". We have some really stunning Art Deco bird houses
    that she made from... well.... trash. LOL She's been working on a wine
    cork collection for several years, hoping to get enough to make a cork
    bulletin board! Every now and then we have a little discussion.....

  9. Those tiny plastic, 3-legged thingies that keep the cheese on your pizza
    from sticking to the top of the box.

    Becca

  10. "<RJ>" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    My MIL saved every ( food ) plastic container.
    She had a closet-ful of margarine, sour cream, jello, etc containers.
    AND ... she could never find the right lid for the right container.
    We tried to clean 'em out one day, and she fought us tooth and nail.

    I told my mil that was Italian Tupperware, she laughed and
    laughed. Hey, those containers that wonton soup/etc comes in
    are useful, but I never save them. All those containers, it's too much
    to store after a while.

    nancy

  11. Andy' q said:

    Andy said...

    Quoted message said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins,
    etc. I probably have about 50.

    Sorry, a minor over-estimation!

    Currently at 34.

    http://www.tinypic.com/678oitv.jpg

    Speaking of those, how many people look at the dates on them to select the
    freshest item? In my supermarket, they seem to turn all the packages so that the
    seal-tabs are facing in towards the shelf rather than out towards the aisle. I
    wonder if that is a deliberate attempt to deter people from picking the freshest
    items off the shelves. It doesn't deter me, it just slows me down. As if I
    wasn't slowed down enough having to take my glasses off to read the tags.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  12. Nancy Young said:

    "<RJ>" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    My MIL saved every ( food ) plastic container.
    She had a closet-ful of margarine, sour cream, jello, etc containers.
    AND ... she could never find the right lid for the right container.
    We tried to clean 'em out one day, and she fought us tooth and nail.

    I told my mil that was Italian Tupperware, she laughed and
    laughed. Hey, those containers that wonton soup/etc comes in
    are useful, but I never save them. All those containers, it's too much
    to store after a while.

    Ya know, I have a habit of saving all that stuff, too. I'm always taking
    food to people, freezing odds 'n ends, etc. I have several cupboards of
    motley containers, just threw out a whole bunch today for which I could not
    find the lids...WHERE do those lids migrate to!? ;-)

    --
    Best
    Greg

  13. wff_ng_7 said:
    Andy' q said:

    Andy said...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins,
    etc. I probably have about 50.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, a minor over-estimation!

    Quoted message said:

    Currently at 34.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.tinypic.com/678oitv.jpg

    Speaking of those, how many people look at the dates on them to select the
    freshest item? In my supermarket, they seem to turn all the packages so that the
    seal-tabs are facing in towards the shelf rather than out towards the aisle. I
    wonder if that is a deliberate attempt to deter people from picking the freshest
    items off the shelves. It doesn't deter me, it just slows me down. As if I
    wasn't slowed down enough having to take my glasses off to read the tags.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

    I believe they are color coordinated for each day of the week that
    they bake

  14. Gregory Morrow said:

    Ya know, I have a habit of saving all that stuff, too. I'm always taking
    food to people, freezing odds 'n ends, etc. I have several cupboards of
    motley containers, just threw out a whole bunch today for which I could not
    find the lids...WHERE do those lids migrate to!? ;-)

    Those lids are hiding out with that sock that is always missing from the
    laundry.

    Becca

  15. "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins, etc.
    I probably have about 50.

    Should something come with a twist tie, I can replace it with one.

    What do you collect?

    Andy

    Well, my new thing isn't really a kitchen item by trade, but it's where I use them
    the most. They're binder clips. I have a container with about 50 or so. Small, medium
    and large. I use them to close everything from bread to chips to powdered sugar,
    cereal, chocolate chips, bags of nuts, etc. They work great, and they're cheap, and
    reusable.

    I also collect whisks (I have 17 currently), teapots (42 of those), knives (oh, about
    45 or so, including steak knives), and that's about it, I think 🙂

    kimberly

    --


    "I told you this was easy"

  16. "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Well, my new thing isn't really a kitchen item by trade, but it's where I
    use them the most. They're binder clips. I have a container with about 50
    or so. Small, medium and large. I use them to close everything from bread
    to chips to powdered sugar, cereal, chocolate chips, bags of nuts, etc.
    They work great, and they're cheap, and reusable.

    So funny you say that, I almost mentioned them with the rubber bands,
    they reside next to each other in a drawer. I left them out because I
    don't actually collect them, once you have a box of the large and small,
    you're pretty well set for life, and they don't come with my newspaper
    like rubber bands do.

    I have one of those clippers holding the 'glass' in my birdfeeder,
    keeps the little bast..., uh, squirrels from lifting it up to steal the
    seed.

    nancy

  17. merryb said:
    wff_ng_7 said:

    Speaking of those, how many people look at the dates on them to select the
    freshest item? In my supermarket, they seem to turn all the packages so that
    the
    seal-tabs are facing in towards the shelf rather than out towards the aisle.
    I
    wonder if that is a deliberate attempt to deter people from picking the
    freshest
    items off the shelves. It doesn't deter me, it just slows me down. As if I
    wasn't slowed down enough having to take my glasses off to read the tags.

    I believe they are color coordinated for each day of the week that
    they bake

    I have noticed the colors, but don't buy baked goods often enough to have
    figured out the pattern. So I have to actually read the date.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  18. "Becca" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gregory Morrow said:

    Ya know, I have a habit of saving all that stuff, too. I'm always taking
    food to people, freezing odds 'n ends, etc. I have several cupboards of
    motley containers, just threw out a whole bunch today for which I could
    not
    find the lids...WHERE do those lids migrate to!? ;-)

    Those lids are hiding out with that sock that is always missing from the
    laundry.

    Hmm not just Scottish laundries that eat socks then!

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    RJ said:

    ( God Bless the new ZipLoc or GLAD food containers )

    <rj>

    Except we tend to lose the damned lids for those too a lot of the
    time... :-(
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  20. In article said:

    Andy said...

    Quoted message said:

    I collect the plastic seal-tabs that seal bags of bread, buns, muffins,
    etc. I probably have about 50.

    Sorry, a minor over-estimation!

    Currently at 34.

    http://www.tinypic.com/678oitv.jpg

    Andy

    You gotta try harder dude! ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.