Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping

B. Lafferty

Guest
"Doping is a general issue with professional sports but also mass sports
(ed: i.e. marathons) and recreational sports. I personally am categorically
against doping in professional sports, but I am worried that the dangers are
even greater in amateur, or if you like, hobby sports in particular. In such
situations, there are, of course, no controls, and this allows people to use
substances in an uncontrolled and unregulated manner. .............

I have always tried to keep out of all of this, which incidentally is
something people do not always believe. To say that I have never ever used
anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone. All
I can say is that I have ridden the Tour five times and that during these
times I have never taken a banned substance, but of course I also never won
the Tour. Being 35th overall, winning three stages, finishing many times in
the top ten in stages, two days in the yellow jersey - these are certainly
successes, but not too much in the grander scheme of things."
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2759

--
How strange when an illusion dies, it's as though you've lost a child.--Judy
Garland

"B. Lafferty" wrote:

> In such situations, there are, of course,
> no controls, and this allows people to use
> substances in an uncontrolled and unregulated
> manner. .............

Sounds like the right "such situation" to me.
Roll it tight, or else I'll have to do it.

> I have always tried to keep out of all
> of this, which incidentally is
> something people do not always believe.

People don't believe he tries to keep out of it?

B. Lafferty wrote:

(snip)

> To say that I have never ever used
> anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone.

What the hell does this mean?

Steve

All
> I can say is that I have ridden the Tour five times and that during these
> times I have never taken a banned substance, but of course I also never won
> the Tour. Being 35th overall, winning three stages, finishing many times in
> the top ten in stages, two days in the yellow jersey - these are certainly
> successes, but not too much in the grander scheme of things."
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2759

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that I
>> would not like to have set in stone.

> What the hell does this mean?

"I Want To Tell You (But I Can't)"

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
>
>> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>>> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that
>>> I would not like to have set in stone.

>> What the hell does this mean?

> "I Want To Tell You (But I Can't)"

The non-denial denial.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:26:42 -0500, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> To say that I have never ever used
>> anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone.

> What the hell does this mean?
>
>Steve

Well. you know, you're a prominent athlete known for being easy going,
trusting, guilless and gullible, like Barry Bonds and along comes some
snake in the grass and gives you a cream for a few thou that he says
is just (OK, what was it supposed to be again?) Being the trusting
sort and all, Mr. Bonds uses it and says with the confidence of any
person that lives in the warmth of trusting human relationships that
he never used steroids.

And then reality hit him head-on.

The real casualty of all this, BTW, is probably Barry's trusting and
open nature...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> Well. you know, you're a prominent athlete known for being easy going,
> trusting, guilless and gullible, like Barry Bonds and along comes some
> snake in the grass and gives you a cream for a few thou that he says
> is just (OK, what was it supposed to be again?) Being the trusting
> sort and all, Mr. Bonds uses it and says with the confidence of any
> person that lives in the warmth of trusting human relationships that
> he never used steroids.
>
> And then reality hit him head-on.
>
> The real casualty of all this, BTW, is probably Barry's trusting and
> open nature...

But look at that peaches-and-cream complexion!

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

> I have always tried to keep out of all of this, which incidentally is
> something people do not always believe. To say that I have never ever used
> anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone.
> All I can say is that I have ridden the Tour five times and that during
> these times I have never taken a banned substance, but of course I also
> never won the Tour. Being 35th overall, winning three stages, finishing
> many times in the top ten in stages, two days in the yellow jersey - these
> are certainly successes, but not too much in the grander scheme of
> things."
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2759

Thaler was a nicely talented rider who was wonderfully diverse. I remember
Mike McCarthy raced against him in 1986 or 1987 in a derny criterium in
Germany. It wqasn't a single derny pacing the field, each rider had their
own derny to follow. Thaler won, of course.

On 12/09/2004 12:31 PM, in article [email protected],
"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
>> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>>> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that I
>>> would not like to have set in stone.

>> What the hell does this mean?

> "I Want To Tell You (But I Can't)"

I doped, but not in the Tour.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that I
>> would not like to have set in stone.

> What the hell does this mean?
>
> Steve

I think he's saying that he used dope but not in the Tour as evidenced by
his mediocre (relatively) performances there.

From "Carl Sundquist":

>Thaler was a nicely talented rider who >was wonderfully diverse.

I remembered the name but not deeds so I looked him up in Tom James' Palmares
site:

<Klaus-Peter Thaler
Other significant victories: World Amateur Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1973, 1976.
World Professional Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1985, 1987.
1977 1 stage, Tour de France
1978 1 stage, Tour de France
1980 1 stage, Vuelta a España >

I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?
--TP

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From "Carl Sundquist":
>
>>Thaler was a nicely talented rider who >was wonderfully diverse.

> I remembered the name but not deeds so I looked him up in Tom James'
> Palmares
> site:
>
> <Klaus-Peter Thaler
> Other significant victories: World Amateur Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1973,
> 1976.
> World Professional Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1985, 1987.
> 1977 1 stage, Tour de France
> 1978 1 stage, Tour de France
> 1980 1 stage, Vuelta a España >
>
> I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?

Jean Robic, Rolf Wolfshohl, Eric & Roger de Vlaeminck, Pascal Richard, Adri
van de Poel

Benjo

On 10 Dec 2004 04:40:53 GMT, Tom Paterson wrote:
> I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?

De Vlaeminck, Van der Poel come to mind.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

Tom Paterson said:
From "Carl Sundquist":

>Thaler was a nicely talented rider who >was wonderfully diverse.

I remembered the name but not deeds so I looked him up in Tom James' Palmares
site:

<Klaus-Peter Thaler
Other significant victories: World Amateur Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1973, 1976.
World Professional Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1985, 1987.
1977 1 stage, Tour de France
1978 1 stage, Tour de France
1980 1 stage, Vuelta a España >

I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?
--TP

Funny stuff... seems he thinks he won three TdF stages:) I have seen similar goof ups of other Pro's (often dating their wins a few years off:)

*or did he win a Team Stage with Raleigh?*