Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Doping is a general issue with professional sports but also mass sports
    (ed: i.e. marathons) and recreational sports. I personally am categorically
    against doping in professional sports, but I am worried that the dangers are
    even greater in amateur, or if you like, hobby sports in particular. In such
    situations, there are, of course, no controls, and this allows people to use
    substances in an uncontrolled and unregulated manner. .............

    I have always tried to keep out of all of this, which incidentally is
    something people do not always believe. To say that I have never ever used
    anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone. All
    I can say is that I have ridden the Tour five times and that during these
    times I have never taken a banned substance, but of course I also never won
    the Tour. Being 35th overall, winning three stages, finishing many times in
    the top ten in stages, two days in the yellow jersey - these are certainly
    successes, but not too much in the grander scheme of things."
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2759

    --
    How strange when an illusion dies, it's as though you've lost a child.--Judy
    Garland

    Tags:

  2. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    "B. Lafferty" wrote:

    > In such situations, there are, of course,
    > no controls, and this allows people to use
    > substances in an uncontrolled and unregulated
    > manner. .............

    Sounds like the right "such situation" to me.
    Roll it tight, or else I'll have to do it.

    > I have always tried to keep out of all
    > of this, which incidentally is
    > something people do not always believe.

    People don't believe he tries to keep out of it?

  3. B. Lafferty wrote:

    (snip)

    > To say that I have never ever used
    > anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone.

    What the hell does this mean?

    Steve

    All
    > I can say is that I have ridden the Tour five times and that during these
    > times I have never taken a banned substance, but of course I also never won
    > the Tour. Being 35th overall, winning three stages, finishing many times in
    > the top ten in stages, two days in the yellow jersey - these are certainly
    > successes, but not too much in the grander scheme of things."
    > http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2759

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  4. Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that I
    >> would not like to have set in stone.

    > What the hell does this mean?

    "I Want To Tell You (But I Can't)"

  5. Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
    >
    >> B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that
    >>> I would not like to have set in stone.

    >> What the hell does this mean?

    > "I Want To Tell You (But I Can't)"

    The non-denial denial.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  6. On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:26:42 -0500, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> To say that I have never ever used
    >> anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone.

    > What the hell does this mean?
    >
    >Steve

    Well. you know, you're a prominent athlete known for being easy going,
    trusting, guilless and gullible, like Barry Bonds and along comes some
    snake in the grass and gives you a cream for a few thou that he says
    is just (OK, what was it supposed to be again?) Being the trusting
    sort and all, Mr. Bonds uses it and says with the confidence of any
    person that lives in the warmth of trusting human relationships that
    he never used steroids.

    And then reality hit him head-on.

    The real casualty of all this, BTW, is probably Barry's trusting and
    open nature...

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  7. Curtis L. Russell wrote:

    > Well. you know, you're a prominent athlete known for being easy going,
    > trusting, guilless and gullible, like Barry Bonds and along comes some
    > snake in the grass and gives you a cream for a few thou that he says
    > is just (OK, what was it supposed to be again?) Being the trusting
    > sort and all, Mr. Bonds uses it and says with the confidence of any
    > person that lives in the warmth of trusting human relationships that
    > he never used steroids.
    >
    > And then reality hit him head-on.
    >
    > The real casualty of all this, BTW, is probably Barry's trusting and
    > open nature...

    But look at that peaches-and-cream complexion!

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  8. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I have always tried to keep out of all of this, which incidentally is
    > something people do not always believe. To say that I have never ever used
    > anything would be something that I would not like to have set in stone.
    > All I can say is that I have ridden the Tour five times and that during
    > these times I have never taken a banned substance, but of course I also
    > never won the Tour. Being 35th overall, winning three stages, finishing
    > many times in the top ten in stages, two days in the yellow jersey - these
    > are certainly successes, but not too much in the grander scheme of
    > things."
    > http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2759

    Thaler was a nicely talented rider who was wonderfully diverse. I remember
    Mike McCarthy raced against him in 1986 or 1987 in a derny criterium in
    Germany. It wqasn't a single derny pacing the field, each rider had their
    own derny to follow. Thaler won, of course.

  9. On 12/09/2004 12:31 PM, in article [email protected],
    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
    >> B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>
    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that I
    >>> would not like to have set in stone.

    >> What the hell does this mean?

    > "I Want To Tell You (But I Can't)"

    I doped, but not in the Tour.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  10. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> To say that I have never ever used anything would be something that I
    >> would not like to have set in stone.

    > What the hell does this mean?
    >
    > Steve

    I think he's saying that he used dope but not in the Tour as evidenced by
    his mediocre (relatively) performances there.

  11. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    From "Carl Sundquist":

    >Thaler was a nicely talented rider who >was wonderfully diverse.

    I remembered the name but not deeds so I looked him up in Tom James' Palmares
    site:

    <Klaus-Peter Thaler
    Other significant victories: World Amateur Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1973, 1976.
    World Professional Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1985, 1987.
    1977 1 stage, Tour de France
    1978 1 stage, Tour de France
    1980 1 stage, Vuelta a España >

    I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?
    --TP

  12. benjo maso

    benjo maso Guest

    "Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > From "Carl Sundquist":
    >
    >>Thaler was a nicely talented rider who >was wonderfully diverse.

    > I remembered the name but not deeds so I looked him up in Tom James'
    > Palmares
    > site:
    >
    > <Klaus-Peter Thaler
    > Other significant victories: World Amateur Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1973,
    > 1976.
    > World Professional Cyclo-Cross Champion, 1985, 1987.
    > 1977 1 stage, Tour de France
    > 1978 1 stage, Tour de France
    > 1980 1 stage, Vuelta a España >
    >
    > I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?

    Jean Robic, Rolf Wolfshohl, Eric & Roger de Vlaeminck, Pascal Richard, Adri
    van de Poel

    Benjo

  13. On 10 Dec 2004 04:40:53 GMT, Tom Paterson wrote:
    > I wonder how many others have been Cross champs and won stages in GT's?

    De Vlaeminck, Van der Poel come to mind.

    --
    Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

  14. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    Funny stuff... seems he thinks he won three TdF stages:) I have seen similar goof ups of other Pro's (often dating their wins a few years off:)

    *or did he win a Team Stage with Raleigh?*