"Klein" brake bridge thickness

So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
leaves us with adjusting the front size.
Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.
Brian Plaugher
Guerneville, CA

On 12 Dec 2004 19:05:27 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
>from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
>front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
>swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
>and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
>could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
>leaves us with adjusting the front size.
>Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
>sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.
>Brian Plaugher
>Guerneville, CA

Anyone else remember those Schwinns having the "rear" caliper (short
bolt) installed in the front, with the allen nut positioned *inside*
the steerer tube? One tightened the nut through the hole in the rear
wall of the steerer tube.

That leaves the "front" caliper with the longer bolt to be installed
in the rear.

brian-<< So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
front. In rear, it is too short. >><BR><BR>

I say-use a fair amount of spacers, washers onto the brake bolt and the
shortest brake nut you can find, generally shimano ones.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302