Klein fixed gear?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark A. Clark, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. I have a Klein Quantum Race (1997) frameset gathering dust. I was thinking
    of converting it to a fixed gear, but am not sure if it is practical
    because of the unique "micro dropouts" in the rear. Any good options here?
    Thanks.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Mark A. Clark wrote:

    > I have a Klein Quantum Race (1997) frameset gathering dust. I was thinking
    > of converting it to a fixed gear, but am not sure if it is practical
    > because of the unique "micro dropouts" in the rear. Any good options here?
    > Thanks.

    Yes. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

    Sheldon "Eccentric" Brown
    | Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees |
    | things as they are, not as they ought to be. |
    | --Ambrose Bierce |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    On 2004-08-10 07:14:41 -0700, "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> said:

    > I have a Klein Quantum Race (1997) frameset gathering dust. I was thinking
    > of converting it to a fixed gear, but am not sure if it is practical
    > because of the unique "micro dropouts" in the rear. Any good options here?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mark

    You can get an eccentric rear hub -- cyclingnews.com reviewed the White
    Industries one called the eno... check their "gear" section.

    Or you could get a tension pulley (like the singleator). Don't think
    this would be as good of an option on a fixie.

  4. "Mark A. Clark" wrote:

    >> I have a Klein Quantum Race (1997) frameset gathering dust. I was
    >> thinking
    >> of converting it to a fixed gear, but am not sure if it is practical
    >> because of the unique "micro dropouts" in the rear. Any good options
    >> here?

    Someone besides me suggested:

    > You can get an eccentric rear hub -- cyclingnews.com reviewed the White
    > Industries one called the eno... check their "gear" section.

    But added:

    > Or you could get a tension pulley (like the singleator). Don't think
    > this would be as good of an option on a fixie.

    That is not an option at all for a fixie. Those are only suitable for
    coasties.

    Sheldon "Straight Through" Brown
    | Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever. |
    | -- Napoleon Bonaparte |

  5. Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Yes. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

    If you want a cheap solution and have a sympathetic LBS that carries a
    full range of track stuff, there will be some chainring/sprocket
    combinations that will achieve an acceptable chain fit - maybe only with
    the use of a "half link". If you do this it can be an absolute
    nightmare to remove the wheel, and the chain will have to be changed
    every few hundred miles before it stretches appreciably. Sheldon's
    solution is best, but you might be a tinkerer at heart.

    Only slightly [OT] I've just been riding on my 18T EAI sprocket which
    arrived today. It's very nice - actually quieter than a Dura-Ace cog.

  6. "Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Klein Quantum Race (1997) frameset gathering dust. I was thinking
    > of converting it to a fixed gear, but am not sure if it is practical
    > because of the unique "micro dropouts" in the rear. Any good options here?
    > Thanks.

    I don't know what a "micro dropout" is but if it is similar to modern
    vertical dropouts then there is a spreadsheet somewhere on the web
    that can help. You input your chainstay length and a few other
    parameters and it calculates what gear combinations will work for you.
    I converted a newer bike that way.

    Search on "fixed gear calculator" or something like that.

    Tom

  7. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php