Klein or Pinarello

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by roadmax, Oct 14, 2004.

1. roadmax

roadmax New Member

What would you pick:
    Klein Q-pro or Pinarello Prince SL
    Both with same Campy Record.
    I would like to hear your opinions on this.

Tags:

2. Virenque

Virenque New Member

My opinion about the bikes from the same price class is that if the materials are the same there is no difference! Or so small that you will not feel it!
    So I will decide as for components, appearance and of course, price!

And one comment on pinarellos: Marvel`s and Prince`s (I don`t know for others) frames are "all in one part" and when I got my rear derailleur into back wheel, wrapped part of the frrame, which holds the derailleur, broke and felt off and whole frame was useless! Most other bikes have that part separated from the frame and it can be easily replaced! That happened to 2 of us in our club, it disturbs me a lot, but maybe just because I was falling very often that time hehe..

3. tafi

tafi Member

Kleins don't have removable derailleur hangers either. Personally I'd go for a Pinarello cos I know i'd get one to fit me 9wide range of sizes. (Of course thats if price and all else are equal)

4. roadmax

roadmax New Member

Hmmm, good point about derailleur breaking.

I noticed Klein has different design in that area-micro dropouts, it looks stronger.
    Among other things i like Kleins interior cable routing, don't know why Pinarellos dont have this.
    Still got to do some more homework before deciding which one :Klein Q-pro XX or Pinarello Prince SL, Paris (2005 of course).

5. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

The interior cable routing is something Klein has been doing since they started. My 25 year old Klein mountain bike has it. It is really a pain when the interior plastic sleeve comes out and you have to put it back in. Klien is owned by Trek now along with LeMond, Gary Fischer ect. Kind of the GM of cycling. Now that Klien is not made in Centralia, Washington I don't think of them in the same light. I just don't think of Klein in the same catagory as a Pinarello.
    I am admitedly biased some against Klein as you might have guessed.

6. ed073

ed073 New Member

Pinarello Prince.

7. patch70

patch70 New Member

It has to be the Prince.
    The Klein is also a great bike but the Prince is one of the all time great bikes.

8. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

I think if you are a person who only cares about getting the most for the money then the Klein maybe the way to go. But if you can afford it the Pinarello is just plain beautiful.

9. tafi

tafi Member

How do you know it's stronger?
    Have you seen the thickness of the plate used for the Pinarello dropouts?
    If the hanger gets bent, it doesn't bend back and the frame is stuffed if you cant replace it.
    The internal cables look good but are a pain in the arse if you want to change the cables, there is no internal guide. It is quite possible but it requires the use of a sleeve and is unecessarily complicated.
    Klein have also recently had problems with the bonding of the stays to the aluminium.

10. roadmax

roadmax New Member

OK, almost convinced that Pinarello would be better choice.
    Didn't now all this negative things about Klein.
    Now because Pinarello launched the 2005 Paris which to me is even better looking than Prince SL. What are your opinions between the two Pinarello bikes? In other words:prince SL or Paris?

11. marco67

marco67 New Member

I currently have a Q PRO XX with Ultegra, which I have been cycling for a year now and i have to say i'm blown away by it. It is responsive and lively (unlike me most of the time) and is very comfortable. The paint job is a bit loud so you will stand out in a crowd but you get noticed. I recently did a mass ride with several guys who were using Italian thoroughbreds - Colnago, Pinarello DeRosa, and there were more comments about my bike than the Italians.
    All that said, I have just bought a Prince SL. When it comes to pedigree Pinarello knocks Klein for 6.
    ciao
    marco

12. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Klein for engineering, craftsmanship, performance, and appearance. The micro dropouts have been adopted by a couple of other bike companies now too, and the internal cable routing is a thing of beauty, well worth the mild headache.

Pinarello for poser appeal and people laughing behind your back. At least they got rid of that ridiculous fork for the 2005 model.

Just my unbiased 2¢.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

1996 - bought my first Pinarello.
    I have used nothing, but Pinarello since (I tell a lie - I have a Bianchi as well).
    Great bike, great handling and robust as well.
    Fits like an armchair.

I haven't tried a Klein and don't intend to comment.
    But I am a very satisfied Pinarello customer.

14. patch70

patch70 New Member

Not quite convinced about being "unbiased". ;)

15. roadmax

roadmax New Member

Well folks, after all i decided what to byu.
    First i narrowed it down to Klein Q-Pro & Pinarello Prince SL or Paris.
    But guess what, i decided to go with Titanium+Carbon and to use it for long term, the answer was Litespeed Ultimate with Campy Record Carbon group, Eurus clincher wheels, Deda Elementi Forza, Spectrum and Supercarbon RS, Fizik Arione Carbon...
    I believe that even 10 years from now this bike will be perfect comination of functionality, design and engineering.
    Will not have to worry about paint maintenance, corrosion, fatigue etc, Titanium and Carbon should live long time.
    Oh yeah, Comparing to Klein or Pinarello i had to add more $ for the Ultimate but i think it will be well worth it in long term.
    Did i surprise you or not, i know for sure did surprize myself.
    Your opinions please.

16. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

You know, I've seen about 1.3EE9 of these "which bike should I buy?" threads, and this is the FIRST ONE where the OP ignored my advice!

17. roadmax

roadmax New Member

Yes i ignored your advise and ignored my advise as well. As i said, i surprised myself too with this decision. Every time i saw a Klein or Pinarello there was some king of magnet pointing me towards Litespeed.
    I will take the ignorance as a compliment.

18. kava

kava New Member

YES for Pinarello. Its dream bike!:eek: