Klein q carbon pro on record 2004 review

rossoreduk

Oct 10, 2003
Well it's here....I finally have it...my bike is at long last with me! In a nutshell it's a Klein Q carbon pro, 54 cm frame with full campy record groupset 2004.

Asthetically the bike has jaw droping looks! I'll be takin pics this weekend and hopefully posting them so keep a look out! The oversized tubing coupled with the shimmering paintwork simply has to be seen in motion to be believed! My repertoire of English adjectives would fail comprehensively to describe my Klein. As we say around my area "this bike commands respect".

I rode it back from the LBS and took it out later in the evening after work with a friend. One thing we noticed was how eloquently my Deda newton stem front clamp complimented the silver Klein logo. It was asif they were related in some former life! I decided on Mavic Cosmos wheels to train on instead of their Equipe models. The 2004 wheels are strong, durable and flex free...im adamant these wheels will get raving reviews in bike mags in the months to come.

My rear end sat atop the new Selle Italia geniune gel Ti saddle. They have increased the gel area for 2004 and seem to have taken aboard the Klein "less is more" philosophy. The saddle is now minus a few stitched in logos. Which ultimately goes well with the bike. You could almost swear blind that Garry Klein phoned up selle Italia and asked them to make it this way!

The campy shifting at present is a tad mechanical as it needs to be run in. But thus far its pleasing, give it 200 miles or so imagine how sweeter it will get. oh i cant wait!

The ride itself is a lively affair. The lack of weight is instantaniously recognisable, she (yes i've decided its a she --shes too beautiful to be a he) invites you to thrash her in archaic fashion, i however resisted temptation! The carbon wishboned rear end does a magnificant job of dampening vibration, coupled with the record carbon seatposot the effect is logarithmicly enhanced. Much to my frustration there were no gradiently challanging hills on the way back so cant comment on climbing as present but mark my words its bound to be perfect. Infact this whole bike is perfect and im not just saying that cos i've bought her now and i have to live with her like it or not.

Its a shame the English weather prohibits me to take her out and my only rant is the weather i guess.....why oh why does the sun let us down? Time i migrated south me thinks! Anyway bottom line, conclusion or call it wot u may....GO GET ONE....simple!

p.s. more reviews as i ride more!

You're killing me, rosso. What paint job does your frame sport, anyways? They're all lovely (except for the Gerolsteiner one, which they should go ahead and let go of).

Originally posted by lokstah
You're killing me, rosso. What paint job does your frame sport, anyways? They're all lovely (except for the Gerolsteiner one, which they should go ahead and let go of).

I don't like the Gerolsteiner motif either, but it was appropriate for the team. Klein not only has the best paint jobs around, they're also the classiest - understated elegance - the closer you look the more interesting they are. Russo got the "burning poinsettia red" frame and that's definitely a beauty. None of that gaudy overdone graphics mess like on Colnagos et al.

Originally posted by rossoreduk
Asthetically the bike has jaw droping looks! My repertoire of English adjectives would fail comprehensively to describe my Klein.

Well obviously you've opted for the "Hawaiian Lei" paint scheme:

hlei.jpg

or is it the "Jaguar"?

jaguar.jpg

:D

Originally posted by Ted B
Well obviously you've opted for the "Hawaiian Lei" paint scheme:

hlei.jpg

or is it the "Jaguar"?

jaguar.jpg

:D
Nope i have the pointsettia Red one.....this pic of the frame doesnt do it justice! seriously! I have a steady stream of people who come round to admire my bike...word is out!

That is the single drawback I've found with the QPro Carbon, folks are always stopping you to ask about it. It is indeed "elegant". My paint is custom burnt orange to match the Ofoto team colors. Weightwise it's like floating on air. Enjoy!!!!

I just finished building up a 2002 Klein Quantum Race with 04 Chorus/Ksyriums.

Is a 2 year old frame but got it half price. The frames just shouts quality and the metallic blue/silver paint job is stunning. It rides pretty well too!

Originally posted by rmartin
I just finished building up a 2002 Klein Quantum Race with 04 Chorus/Ksyriums.

Is a 2 year old frame but got it half price. The frames just shouts quality and the metallic blue/silver paint job is stunning. It rides pretty well too!
Congratulations! Welcome to the cyclingforum's Klein Honor Guard -- the sexiest cats on two wheels. Or so we think.

;)

Schweeeeet ride!

Welcome to the Q Pro Carbon club!!!!!

The first ride leaves you with that "Oh My God" feeling.

Originally posted by capwater
Schweeeeet ride!

Welcome to the Q Pro Carbon club!!!!!

The first ride leaves you with that "Oh My God" feeling.

And check out the Klein forum over at BikeFanClub.com

Originally posted by DiabloScott
And check out the Klein forum over at BikeFanClub.com
How was Primavera, Scott? I had my aunt's Orthodox Easter festivities to attend to (no, really).

Originally posted by lokstah
How was Primavera, Scott? I had my aunt's Orthodox Easter festivities to attend to (no, really).

Ahem, for the Primavera Report, CHECK OUT MY BIKE BLOG!
DiabloScott'sBikeBlog

It was good, I kicked butt on my two buddies, it got windy and rainy over Altamont and Patterson Pass. Dork factor (recumbants) was low, food OK, lots of sag and mechanics at every rest stop.

Next century is the Ture de Cure charity ride in Sta Cruz, only 100km but wife says it counts as one of my four allowed centuries per year since I'll be gone all day.

My Klein turned a lot of heads... as usual. Only saw two or three others all day.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
Ahem, for the Primavera Report, CHECK OUT MY BIKE BLOG!
DiabloScott'sBikeBlog

It was good, I kicked butt on my two buddies, it got windy and rainy over Altamont and Patterson Pass. Dork factor (recumbants) was low, food OK, lots of sag and mechanics at every rest stop.

Next century is the Ture de Cure charity ride in Sta Cruz, only 100km but wife says it counts as one of my four allowed centuries per year since I'll be gone all day.

My Klein turned a lot of heads... as usual. Only saw two or three others all day.
Nice ride report, Scott.

Hey, regarding head-turning -- the very first time I took my Klein for a significant ride (my usual haunt, the Grizzly Peak / Wildcat / Tilden / Orinda zone), another rider pulled up alongside me at the base of the hill, riding a nice Quantum Pro from a few years back.

We stayed together for about 15 miles, chatting the whole while about our bikes; we each nearly crashed from looking too long at the other's ride.

The only thing that challenges Klein riders' narcissism and vanity, it seems, is lust for the next guy's Klein.

;)